minute

Rate the game.

• A+

• A

• B

• C+

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
This defensive play here by Ayshford has got me wondering. Is it a great play to shut down Jennings and stop a try, or did he stuff up and then get lucky?

Enjoying the replay of this Game.....Glen Lamar notes that Simon Mannering and Shaun Johnson are in a race to over take Francis Meli's try scoring record.
Glen-"Manu has scored the most trys.....who do you recon is second Daryl ? "

........Pause.....(Glen lets him off the hook )"Stacey Jones "

Daryl answers anyway- "Manu ?"
Lol, I am watching replay now, the commentary is so kaka it's funny, Monty has the canned comments, halligan cant say anyone's name right and Lamar is going on about foran not touching the ball in the first ten when he caught it off the kickoff and a few times since.

bruce

Contributor
This defensive play here by Ayshford has got me wondering. Is it a great play to shut down Jennings and stop a try, or did he stuff up and then get lucky?

He didn't trust Shaun Johnson and took his eye off Jennings. Jennings took the inside pass in that instant, he didn't need much. To Ayshords credit he kept chasing, Isaac Luke could learn something from him.

Reactions: jonno

I sure hope Ayshford is getting these things pointed out to him
Getting run around by Copley last week and letting Jennings take that gap in this game
He needed to spot tackle Jennings and kill the play right there
Could be a bit of traffic coming his way vs Canberra

Reactions: Defence and jonno
I sure hope Ayshford is getting these things pointed out to him
Getting run around by Copley last week and letting Jennings take that gap in this game
Could be a bit of traffic coming his way vs Canberra
Well there's nothing like a bit of practice to iron out your weaknesses.:banghead:

Inruin

Contributor
Blaming Ayshford entirely for that line break by Jennings is misguided. Shaun Johnson didnt read the play. Shaun Johnson should have drifted more to mark up one on one with Jennings as the back runner came around and becomes Ayshfords man. Shaun Johnson gets sucked in to an attacking player that Bodene had covered. And then jogs back in cover.

Getting beaten by Copely the week previous was all Ayshford though again Shaun Johnson didnt exactly help him either then.

Reactions: bruce and Sup42
Blaming Ayshford entirely for that line break by Jennings is misguided. Shaun Johnson didnt read the play. Shaun Johnson should have drifted more to mark up one on one with Jennings as the back runner came around and becomes Ayshfords man. Shaun Johnson gets sucked in to an attacking player that Bodene had covered. And then jogs back in cover.

Getting beaten by Copely the week previous was all Ayshford though again Shaun Johnson didnt exactly help him either then.
The alternate theory is that he saw the overlap out the back and held off Jennings until he was sure he was getting the ball, and then did a fine job chasing him into sheck while blocking the pass to semi.

If the ball had gone out the back he was in position to help out with that as well by turning early. It looked strange, but maybe he nailed it?

I personally think he should have knocked Jennings over when he caught the ball. But that's just me. It looked like he read it correctly, but then didn't act on his read.

Inruin

Contributor
The alternate theory is that he saw the overlap out the back and held off Jennings until he was sure he was getting the ball, and then did a fine job chasing him into sheck while blocking the pass to semi.

If the ball had gone out the back he was in position to help out with that as well by turning early. It looked strange, but maybe he nailed it?

I personally think he should have knocked Jennings over when he caught the ball. But that's just me. It looked like he read it correctly, but then didn't act on his read.
Ayshford looked like he knew Shaun Johnson had jammed in instead of holding the defensive line and Ayshford saw it but too late. He was holding his position for the runner out the back thinking Shaun Johnson would and should have been sliding across. Shaun Johnson should have had Jennings. You can see Fusitua having to follow Blake in too. Shaun Johnson started the domino effect.

Its a well worked move by the Eels. Obviously targeting Shaun Johnson's decision making in defence. Almost worked for them too.

Reactions: bruce and jonno
These moves with Ayshford will click and we will win games off them, we: have seen it before.

The same is true of the miss timing etc off the left edge, that will click eventually this season and we will be one of, if not the best attacking side in the NRL.

It will happen during Origin.

Then we will be reliant on the Foran effect to push these dudes into finals mode.

This year is different.....well depending on injury.

For all the smart arse 'this is our year' mocking of Warriors fans, if things go our way this is our year.

We need the super 4 to stay fit, we need Gavet and Mannering to stay fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence and bruce

bruce

Contributor
These moves with Ayshford will click and we will win games off them, we: have seen it before.

The same is true of the miss timing etc off the left edge, that will click eventually this season and we will be one of, if not the best attacking side in the NRL.

It will happen during Origin.

Then we will be reliant on the Foran effect to push these dudes into finals mode.

This year is different.....well depending on injury.

For all the smart are 'this is our year' smoking of Warriors fans, if things go our way this is our year.

We need the super 4 to stay fit, we need Gavet and Mannering to stay fit.
If Mutts gets back and plays to his potential, and Manu turns up, then we are definitely top eight.

Reactions: Sup42
That play was a shocker from the Ref IMO.
View attachment 22907
Eels 10 running block on Luke. Luke clearly not interested in tackling him.

View attachment 22908
Bumps Luke out of the defensive formation creating room in the front line outside Gubb that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

View attachment 22903
Gubb now one on one with a more agile player. Luke looking relaxed as he's expecting the obstruction call from the ref.

View attachment 22904 Gubb has a good attempt IMO, going for the waist, and if Luke was up in the line that's an easy tackle.

View attachment 22905
Try time.

View attachment 22906
Warriors players rightly expecting an obstruction review from the bunker that never comes.

If Luke had stayed in the play, and played to the whistle he might have put an effective tackle on with Lillyman and the try might not have been scored. This bad habit of relaxing and then blaming the refs is bigger than any one player IMO. It's just that in this case it's Luke who's guilty of expecting perfection from the whistle blowers.

Another fundamental, play to the whistle

Reactions: jonno