Rate the game.

• A+

• A

• B

• C+

• F

• Z-

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can't believe some of the responses we're getting here.

If you're still disappointed after a game like that you probably need to find another sport to follow. That was the best game I've seen from the Warriors since the same fixture on ANZAC Day a few years ago when Cappy took over (wins included).

The simple fact is we were beaten by a better team on the day. We DIDN'T beat ourselves and the refs DIDN'T screw us over. How great is that?! We were beaten in a very high quality, competitive game against a better side.

Cam Smith and Craig Bellamy said themselves that last nights game was the best they've played all year. That must tell you something right? You can't ask anymore of the team than to go out and give it 100% and that's exactly what they did.

IF (and that's a big if) we can play like that or thereabouts every week we'll be a top four/six side no problem.

That game was a real thriller. We were competitive against one of the top teams - unlike last week, where we faded late against the also classy Raiders - and I reckon we're going to trouble everyone from now on. No points, sure, but happier about prospects for the 8? Absolutely.

Lot to like about the performance, could have gone either way, and as someone else said earlier if we'd had the gumption to re-run the movement that got us our two tries, we could have pulled it off. I agree too about taking the first 2 - we should have gone for the try. Would have messed with the Storm's heads, too: did you see how they were heads-down after we scored first? A lot of them were thinking, "Bugger me, didn't expect this sort of tough game from the Warriors". They're a tough nut to crack but another first half try might have made them wilt a bit.

And for those in the "is it Foran? Is it Shaun Johnson making the difference?" debate, all I'd add is that both our tries came because the defence don't know what the hell Shaun Johnson is going to do (especially when he runs right up at them) so they drift in to cover him, opening gaps on the edge.

Individuals - Roger Tuivasa-Sheck getting better and better, one of these days he's going to run in a bagful of long-range tries, looking very sharp and fit. Mannering a rock as usual. Fusitua did v well, and Ayshford had what I thought was one of his best ever games for us, impressed. Gavet is a real offensive threat - especially the yards he still manages when festooned with tacklers (what I think the commentators are calling "contested meters"?). Luke is having more (and better) scurries from dummy-half. Shaun Johnson was our top Fantasy scorer, lot of tackles (21) under his belt. Not so good on the day - Kata, missing in action when on the field (maybe carrying something?). Roache - sorry, didn't look at home in first grade on that showing, and I agree with all the previous folks who have said we need a better interchange plan for Luke, he needs to be there at the sharp end.

Reffing - nothing to be done about it, but not great. Wasn't much better in the Roosters - Dragons game, some howlers there too.

And how I LOATHE the Storm's style of play: always on the very borderlines (and to be honest, I think over them a lot of the time) of pushing the limits of offside, slowing the play the ball, running blockers.

Never mind. On to the Roosters. Should be a great game.

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
I enjoyed the game last night and thought the team has made some good improvements especially on defense.
There were more positives than negatives IMO but we need to win these close games to make the 8.
We lost most of the close games last year i.e. golden point games, we can't afford to continue do this.

A couple of observations that I had from the game were:

1. Offloads - Is this not part of our game plan anymore? I know this has been mention previously but in the last 2 games it has been noticeable.
Both the Storm who did 15 to our 4 and Canberra 21 to our 9 did far more offloading than we did.
The Storm and Canberra players look at offloading in almost every tackle but the Warriors just take the tackle.
Are we becoming to structured in our plays ? Is this a good thing for the Warriors?

2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - Was he promoted too early as captain?
He is one hell of a player and a massive asset to the team but is he to nice, to reserved and to indecisive to be captain?
The 2 penalties that we kicked were a classic example of this. They needed a call from the coaches box to make a decision.
A further point was that I saw more on one occasion players like Shaun Johnson, Foran taking charge and talking to the team with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck standing in the background.
Maybe I am just reading to much into this. I know he will grow into role but when you are playing against the likes of Cam Smith you need to be on top of your game as captain.

Last edited:
Reactions: koolkat

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
inconsistent 10 metre's and defensive line leaving early
actually i was watching for this specifically and honestly i didnt see it. What i did see was players like Cameron setting up a run to take out a play maker specifically and it working.

Best example of this was when they had a scrum in the second half. Shaun Johnson Roger Tuivasa-Sheck etc all setting up. but what i was watching was Smith who moved across his own line away from the scrum to get a really tight angle on Shaun Johnson.
The ball came out of the scrum, passed to Shaun Johnson and Cameron owned him. Basically as soon as the ball was free Cameron sprinted at Shaun Johnson - well before the pass was made, He hit him from the blind side, making the tackle even more effective. Shaun Johnson had turned to catch the ball and didnt even see him coming. Perfectly legal and perfectly timed.

Sorry to say but the warriors were just too predictable in their plays. Thats why they have always done better against the Storm when running the ball out wide or broken play.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I can't fully blame Luke, as there are a combination of things required to get good, quick ruck speed - too often, our players don't seem to realise that defenders in a team with great line speed are charging as soon as the ball is on the ground to be played back. A lack of urgency there costs us dearly. We see the same lack of urgency at marker defence.
Yep saw that a lot last night. They get up and as soon as the ball is played, its on. Its like they are still working shit out as they play. Seeing preset plays set up from the stands and knowing just where they are going to shift it to, tells me that if i can see it. The professionals on the field definitely can see it. All to predictable and slow.

Roache really needs some confidence in calling the plays - if all he is there to do is shovel passes from dummy half for 10 minutes then it's a waste of a spot. Several times the storm markers were missing and the run was clearly on, but he just went with the set mindset of passing to the halves and letting them do the decision making.

Reactions: ttkk19
Proud of the effort, can't fault the team for that. A lot of times over the years the Warriors have been accused of not turning up or not putting up a fight. We came to play the guys gave it their all. By 60 minutes they had some momentum and their big pack was marching up field which was hard to contain especially NAS.

I think we are close and have played some of the better sides this year with the Storm (twice), Dragons and Raiders.

A good first half and some good little efforts like kick chase etc. Still close doesn't pick up two points.

Hopefully Foran pulls up well with his hamstring with the short turn around. After two tough losses we need to get this one on the weekend.

Reactions: Sebastian
The storperspectiveon from the big 3 To the giant 3 , We
Can't believe some of the responses we're getting here.

If you're still disappointed after a game like that you probably need to find another sport to follow. That was the best game I've seen from the Warriors since the same fixture on ANZAC Day a few years ago when Cappy took over (wins included).

The simple fact is we were beaten by a better team on the day. We DIDN'T beat ourselves and the refs DIDN'T screw us over. How great is that?! We were beaten in a very high quality, competitive game against a better side.

Cam Smith and Craig Bellamy said themselves that last nights game was the best they've played all year. That must tell you something right? You can't ask anymore of the team than to go out and give it 100% and that's exactly what they did.

IF (and that's a big if) we can play like that or thereabouts every week we'll be a top four/six side no problem.
From my perspective We got beaten by size, We did well in containing there big guys , But it took
its toll in the end, There was a noticeable size difference between Jordan McClain an Nas an our
boys , I hope we can get some size into first grade at some stage,
Apart from that awesome game , If we keep playing like that or better we are in with a
good shot, :)

Enjoyed the game last nite, shame about the result but you always thought Melbourne would just sneak home....... Honourable mentions to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Gavet, Mannering and Shaun Johnson and our goal line defence. If i had to chose a negative it would be Mamaulo for me, the guys not a winger and possibly not first grade material. Yes he tries hard but the attempted ankle tap on Cronk when he could have possibly pulled him down from behind and letting the ball bounce, man, he didn't even look remotely interested in it - looked a bit like lack of confidence which i don't really know why as he hasn't got that bad hands as his predecessor..... :rolleyes: Tight games against quality teams like last nite its the little things that count in the end. :)

Reactions: Inruin
2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - Was he promoted too early as captain?
He is one hell of a player and a massive asset to the team but is he to nice, to reserved and to indecisive to be captain?
The 2 penalties that we kicked were a classic example of this. They needed a call from the coaches box to make a decision.
A further point was that I saw more on one occasion players like Shaun Johnson, Foran taking charge and talking to the team with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck standing in the background.
Maybe I am just reading to much into this. I know he will grow into role but when you are playing against the likes of Cam Smith you need to be on top of your game as captain.

Couldnt agree more man. Roger is a gun but he aint the sharpest tool in the shed ( in terms of manipulating refs or making the right tactical decision for the team) why not let him be a gun? why burden him with the thankless and dreaded duty of Warriors captain? I can even imagine it backfiring - him putting away his natural attacking instincts and choosing more safer and more captain associated plays. Just let the guy loose like i know hes playing well but he doesnt need to be captain and these losses have to be wearing on him a little. We need someone who's tactically and strategically capable of reading plays, making the best decision at critical moments, motivating the boys and manipulating the reffs. Johnson is seen as a pretty boy so the forwards dont respect him, Roger is too quite so the reffs ride the warriors, simon isnt agressive enough to really motitivate the boys. I honestly think The hoff wasnt a bad captain

That game was a real thriller. We were competitive against one of the top teams - unlike last week, where we faded late against the also classy Raiders - and I reckon we're going to trouble everyone from now on. No points, sure, but happier about prospects for the 8? Absolutely.

Agree massively. After the amount of defending the lads had to do I expected a collapse late on so to still be in it to the death was pleasing. Few smarter plays and could even have got the W.

The reason why we were forced to defend though was cheap penalties (some warranted granted) allowing Storm off their line and the decisons that led to their first try off the back of "six more" were horrendous. They always seem to get help when they need it like the penalty against Gavet in the second half when Mannering was blocked off by Slater.

That rule about being able to dive out like Addo-Carr did is applling.

Reactions: Donal
Oh something else I was thinking - when there was the half-hearted trip by Munster on Luke (I think it was those two), why the hell didn't Luke fall down? That would have been a dead-set yellow card for shit like that.

Mannering was blocked off by Slater.
I don't know what they're like off the field, but I've loved watching Mannering vs Slater over the years. A fair while ago now, in one particular match, Mannering was a beast with his kick chases to make sure Slater got no room to counter attack, and he fucking nailed him every time - not just making a tackle, but often he absolutely crushed him. You could see how filthy Slater was getting, so it's good to see that the rivalry there is still strong.