Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Rate the game. 1 Amazing - 10 Shit!

Results are only viewable after voting.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
abit off topic but is there any guys with time out there to do gifs and videos of our attack?, i feel like we need a video analysis thread to really see who or what the problem is.

Watching live one thing that stuck out for me was no one was running any good lines for Johnson to pass to, even when he was making space they would just shuffle along and almost trip over each other- you could see Johnson getting infuriated

Had a day to think about it further - is it as dire as many believe? Perhaps but I'll say at times we actually looked quite good - particularly with the 1 - 2 - 3 punch of Gavet, Sao and Lisone.

31 missed tackles and 21 errors is bloody atrocious but we have played error free footy this year - albeit one dimensionally.

Find that middle ground come Sunday and I think we will comfortably beat the Titans.

A repeat showing though.... 1 and 4... Gulp

Just finished watching the last game we beat the dragons last year.

We were missing the 6, Manu, Hurrell, Bodine, Vete, Lisone and Matulino. As well we were also missing Mannering, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Leuluai and Lolohea.. 10 Players who could have all been selected ahead of the guys who played.

The intensity was a lot higher that what we're seeing these last few weeks. 26 - 10, with the dragons scoreless in the second half is a testament to that.

Watching the game and I can't understand how Ayshford and Allwood can't get selected. They must be hated for some non-footy related reasons IMO. And Gavet was outstanding as well. They should all be full time FG players IMO.

Luke and Shaun Johnson had a field day behind an energetic team. Fusitua was outstanding from fullback.

This club needs to stop getting sucked in by feel sorry for me type players who don't really give a shit, and grow a brain, big time. If 6 of your players are showing up to games stoned, you're not winning those games. You could see the extra intensity from the non drugged players.

Our defense didn't miss Mannering either. Didn't need him to do all the work. Funny that.

abit off topic but is there any guys with time out there to do gifs and videos of our attack?, i feel like we need a video analysis thread to really see who or what the problem is.

IMO theres too much lateral movement not and not enough straightening of the ball. This means all the defense has to do is slide and the play is contained.

I remember Fusitua's Try against tge Titans last year, Everyone who came on onto the ball straightened and accelerated towards the line before passing and we created space outwide

One thing I found interesting was Hoffman being on the bench for the end of the game... im almost positive he was hooked for giving away those two stupid penalties at the worst possible time, which is a good sign. Accountability for all players.

Still holding onto that grain of delusion that still lives in your head that Kearney knows what he is doing, watch some re-runs of Parramatta playing when he was coach and you will see a pattern

I have read all posts, and feel all the pain, for my 2 cents worth,
We can't be too disappointed as the club never recruited? after 2016 we had to recruit.
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has copped some flak, but look at what he had to do, he was close to our best FORWARD! he should never have felt the need to lead the way, he is our best player.
Kata ia in a bad rut, it is like he has lost confidence under Mooks and just isn't getting involved especially out of dummy half.
Ahysford is out of his depth, I don't buy into the 2 games in 2 days so what? it isn't new, he showed no enthusiam or involvement and dummy half runs also lacking.
Our wingers never offer any angles and they should come in now and then on attack to pair up with a forward even as a decoy but they are lacking work ethic, there is more to wing play than a hard run now and then.
our halves kicking game was rubbish no repeat sets and no unity in attack or turning forwards back inside.
I got attacked pre season for calling Foran the worst buy in the last decade and he has proven me correct, he was always a gimmick, he is all done in the NRL.
but our real problem is in the forwards, going on last night out reserves should replace our starting pack! but it won't happen, Lillyman every year starts off with high running metres but he offers nothing through or before the line and more often then not ends up on his back, he has bulked up so much he lacks flexibility, Mannering got blamed for the 2nd or 3rd try by getting beaten on the inside I have no problem with getting skinned on the inside as your inside defender should be sliding to cover and in this case it was Lillyman ball watching and not reacting, very poor game from this veteran.
Issac luke was gassed again which is why I want Kata at hooker and Pauga in the centres.
Gubb was very poor he doesn't look like offering 2nd phase at any time and he doesn't support the other forwards with dead runs, either he is too gassed or doesn't read what's happening out there.
Hoffman was very poor again and rightfully hooked I hope he is in the NSW cup next week, his work rate has dropped and now that he is not Captain he has less respect than before, he is all done.
Bodene at least offers something through the line but needs to work on his fitness.
Mannering worked hard and gave his usual honest account.
The bench worked hard with the limited time they had, but I feel they should work closer to the ruck in pairs and focus on quick plays, at least give our halves time with the ball, Gavet and sao with Bodene and Bunty next plays.
Ok everyone knows the problems and this is my solution.
Doyle should offer Nelson Asofa-Solomona a deal like Taumalolo and rebuild the club around him and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, he has signed a 1 year deal at the Storm, so lets chase him hard, from what I can see he is a rare talent and could be a great. His 2nd phase play is fantastic and in time he will be an 80 minute player, let's not lose him to rugby.

Reactions: roadrunner

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor
Had a day to think about it further - is it as dire as many believe? Perhaps but I'll say at times we actually looked quite good - particularly with the 1 - 2 - 3 punch of Gavet, Sao and Lisone.

31 missed tackles and 21 errors is bloody atrocious but we have played error free footy this year - albeit one dimensionally.

Find that middle ground come Sunday and I think we will comfortably beat the Titans.

A repeat showing though.... 1 and 4... Gulp

Yeah we'd be freaking awesome if the game was 10 min a half.....80min is too long for our lot.

i think this goes back to contracts, plain and simple, so many bad contract signings for too long, how has lilyman, manu and mannering beengiven such long contracts, i think doyle is seeing the harm in signing guys for 3 years plus, in this game you gotta evaluate talent at realistic level and without care for loyalty, your only loyalty should be to the fans, the owner and coaches,

i think this goes back to contracts, plain and simple, so many bad contract signings for too long, how has lilyman, manu and mannering beengiven such long contracts, i think doyle is seeing the harm in signing guys for 3 years plus, in this game you gotta evaluate talent at realistic level and without care for loyalty, your only loyalty should be to the fans, the owner and coaches,

I agree but players seek security, and is a key factor in getting them. Tohu Harris is on a four year contract. I hope he can deliver.

Reactions: tajhay
that's half the problem.

Once they have security they switch off....
It should be about something more than just money.

If they are playing out of fear of being broke they'll never be all they can be.

Especially once going broke isn't a problem anymore.

If that fear is all that drives them, once they get the big contract they'll turn into Mateo 2.0........

• Haha
Reactions: Inruin
Was anyone else as pissed as I was when Lolohea kicked on the 4th tackle early in the 2nd half? It was right after we scored the try, had all the momentum and he goes for the impossible grubber between 5-6 dragons players..........Fucked our momentum up completely. Score a try there off a 5th tackle set play and it's game on

Wanted to stop watching at that point
I had the feeling as soon as Lolohea got the ball he was thinking how good it was all gonna look on his 'highlight' reel …

Reactions: Brother Faisal

Inruin

Contributor
It should be about something more than just money.

If they are playing out of fear of being broke they'll never be all they can be.

Especially once going broke isn't a problem anymore.

If that fear is all that drives them, once they get the big contract they'll turn into Mateo 2.0........
hate for them to be stuck on the same wage for a long period of time are too. They should get automatic pay rises just because of how long they have been at the club

Right, It don’t think it’s all doom and gloom…but I’ll start with a negative!

I watched the game with my father in law who is an AFL man, he made just one comment all game, “why does your team hang back when defending, the other team move forward to meet them”…I commented that this is always our problem.

On a positive, I thought we actually played Ok in patches, the end of the 1st half and the start of the 2nd, we actually were the better team.

Our forwards played much better this week and for patches looked good, Gavet, Sao and Lisone all made positive contributions.

Our backs were shocking, too many dropped balls and poor lines run after the forwards had put us in good positions.

Shaun Johnson had a good game considering what was happening around him. I don’t mind the bombs, but FFS, why are the backs not chasing through?

A few things shocked me,one Kata passing, which resulted in a try, Tui kicking early in the tackle count, Ken passing OVER Roger Tuivasa-Sheck’s head to lose us about 20 metres(this has Pakistani bookmakers written all over it)! I think the refs were really tough on us, a couple of these 5th tackle penalties, were not penalties, full stop.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was never going to tackle Dugan 1 on 1, everything was in Dugan’s favour, if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was in the same situation, people would be fapping about how good Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is! Dugan should never have been able to run straight through the middle.

It’s looking like Kata is the new Hurrell, every hit up looks like he is going drop the ball…

Luke was lucky to get his try, I saw no grounding.

Ken Ken Ken, you are a 400kg behemoth…stopping playing like a 60 kilo marshmallow, you will hurt people, don’t be afraid.

Gubb is a back up reserve player at most and shouldn’t even make the bench.

Tui offers nothing, he has no specific skill set on offer, can’t kick, can’t tackle, I won’t say he has no heart as he is playing every week, he just lacks football smarts.

I’m guessing the 15 years of signing athletes and not footballers is starting to hurt us. Goes back to Ackland playing a prop on the wing!

I’m still going to get up at 5am on Sunday to watch us live, but have no expectations of getting a win.

I just want to see an improvement in attitude, commitment and desire. PLUS CATCH THE BLOODY BALL!

Last edited:
that's half the problem.

Once they have security they switch off....
Yeah i agree. I can shed a bit of light on this from my experience as I am Auckland born and raised to a Tongan mum and an English dad. We spent a lot of our childhood in Tonga and one thing that always got me (especially the Auckland Tongans) was it was considered way better to lose and look good doing it (look like MJ) than really bust your ass and win but look unco. In fact the old aunties used to say we were "showing off" if we were going hard out or trying to be different (individuals) !! I played a lot of hoops/league growing up and my cousins and mates would rather lose but look good doing it than go too hard. I used to laugh at my palangi mates who would win games of 21 just through sheer effort cos they sure as shit weren't as tall or athletic! I love how sensitive we are around the poly issue but it just seems to be the case in the last 20 years or so?

It did cross my mind. But I think the reality is, Ligi was brought in particularly to play through the middle as lock, and to give Simon a spell so that we're not overworking him. I think he was always going to sub for Simon.
At the time I was thinking he got hooked, he had a couple of defensive lapses that led to tries so I wouldn't normally have a problem with that but he is in a team where it doesn't seem others are being held to the same standards