General NRL 2016 Round 8 - General Discussion

Which TWO games are most looking forward to?

• Broncos vs Rabbitohs

• Bulldogs vs Titans

• Raiders vs Tigers

• Cowboys vs Eels

• Sharks vs Panthers

• Knights vs Manly

• Dragons vs Roosters

• Storm vs Warriors

Results are only viewable after voting.
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

Showing you age Fred, but yes he was a legend and RIP.
Never hidden my age, Bill was a legend when I was growing up, loved his music.

Whats up with the Dogs? Just scraped in with the field goal, if Dessie was the coach here there would be calls for his head.

Reactions: 1 user
Viking

Viking

Apologies all round to members of the trainspotters club.

Lord Ted is a Maori but was born in Australia and actually played for the Kangaroos. So he was not the first NZ born player to play in Sydney. Ted was born in Dapto so my guess is his father was a Kiwi shearer working over there.

In any case Bill Noonan, who was born in Canterbury, started in Sydney with the Bulldogs in 1970, two years before Lord Ted. So unless somebody corrects me Bill is the first Kiwi to play in Sydney.

Born in Crows Nest (North Sydney) but grew up in Dapto. Only the mother is ever mentioned as being Maori, but both parents were Kiwis.

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

If ever a team was hopeless with one player missing the Tigers would be that team.
Aaron Woods out and they are getting flogged.

Reactions: 1 users

Danpatmac

tigers just got absolutely hammered

Rapana might have just scored himself a Kiwi jersey

Reactions: 3 users
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

Man, Alexanders voice sounds iike a poorly maintained chainsaw at best................................;)

He's the reason I watch 9HD for the games.

And the way he bags the Warriors like he only ever played for Penrith

Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

The coach is always the fall guy when a team is underperforming. I honestly don't think McGuire will be at the Rabbitohs in 2017.

2014 seems like so long ago.

Madge needs to update the team's playing style as its bein out paced and even out muscled by the cows and horses. The rabbit toes seem to be playing the same structure as 2014, which was great.......for 2014.

I'd like to believe that the club wouldn't sack him so soon after their first premiership in a squillion years

Last edited:
InsideBall

InsideBall

Felt for the Titans... They probably deserved to win that one, courageous effort. Tyrone Roberts probably blew that game for them twice... Shocking decisions by that guy at the back end of the game.

The other thing out of that game - I was just reminded how fucking thankful I am to see the back of Friends dummy half service... Just shocking at bringing his forwards on to the ball. They look a different team when Mosely was controlling the ruck.

Reactions: 4 users
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

Felt for the Titans... They probably deserved to win that one, courageous effort. Tyrone Roberts probably blew that game for them twice... Shocking decisions by that guy at the back end of the game.

The other thing out of that game - I was just reminded how fucking thankful I am to see the back of Friends dummy half service... Just shocking at bringing his forwards on to the ball. They look a different team when Mosely was controlling the ruck.

Mosely was tackling like Gubb.

They obviously don't practice setting up for field goals (drop kicks).

They even had no defensive structure for the dogs field goal setup.

It goes Klemmer hits it up as close to position as possible then holds the first marker after he plays the ball allowing their grubby inbred hillbilly cousin Cletus Reynolds to slot the winning one pointer.

The exact same play that ended the dragons season last year.

Weno

Weno

Kiwi bad boy Addin Fonua Blake to make his NRL debut from the Manly bench.
Be watching him with a bit of interest.

Marshthedarsh

No sympathy for those who can't nail a Field Goal. We've had golden point games for 15 years, it's not hard to set up a standard play for a field goal.

Work out where to get tackled, who the dummy half is, who the kicking options are, where they stand, how far back, where your "blockers" are. Practice this for just 5 minutes and suddenly hitting them will become easier.

Reactions: 2 users
BiggerD

BiggerD

I reckon the Wooden Spoon will be won by either Souths or West Tigers

Souths where foolish to basically gut their team of good & promising players, just so
they could afford Sam Burgess, who in my books can be a real Grub on the field.
We saw that evidence during the Broncos game this week.. Frustration got to him
and he took it out on some of the Broncos players.

West Tigers have Farrah. Farrah has so much bad influence in their team.
When Farrah was away, Tigers beat the Warriors and a couple of other good teams.

Newcastle will not get wooden spoon, because they know they are bad already, and will fight to get of the bottom

Parramatta will loose 10 points due to a past Salary cap issue, but current playing team
is good enough to avoid the spoon.

Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

No sympathy for those who can't nail a Field Goal. We've had golden point games for 15 years, it's not hard to set up a standard play for a field goal.

Work out where to get tackled, who the dummy half is, who the kicking options are, where they stand, how far back, where your "blockers" are. Practice this for just 5 minutes and suddenly hitting them will become easier.

Titans looked totally confuzzilated during golden point

BiggerD

BiggerD

Re Golden point and Field Goals..
NRL needs to adopt the NFL way of playing Drawn games
NFL way of going in Overtime is the way.

Go Tampa Buccaneers!!!
And I hope NZers get that Male TV channel like Australia's CH7 Mate.

During NFL season its awesome.. Live NFL

15a23c9d7f6df4f8ec9efd35e2d32f1a.jpg

snake77

snake77

I don't have sympathy for sides that can't set up for a field goal it's the sides that setup correctly and get punished due to the offside line being a guideline when it comes to field goal time being my main concern. It's unfortunate that the refs get criticised so much that they don't want to determine the game when 2-3 guys are offside and sprint out of the line to stop the drop goal; a couple of justified penalties would be good to see. When the media/commentators complain there should be enough countering well they were offside.

The other sides that get the wrong person into dummy half for the field goal pass or one player goes off script makes you wonder how often they practice a field goal set.

snake77

snake77

Braith Anasta reckons Jason Taylor has lost the dressing shed..
Rumours replacement could be Uncle Ivan if Jason Taylor gets the punt
I saw an article recently that Taylor was calling the players to see how much support he had from the players. Sounds like someone in a classroom running around to see if he has enough votes to be the guy in charge of dishing out the flavoured milk at lunch time.;)

For Cleary its an interesting decision as a coach wanting a job you most likely going to go to a club that needs work. So to start with it will be tough and you need to ride out that period if the club has enough patience. He could be in for a period like Ricky Stuart coming in trying to rebuild clubs where if it doesn't work he could be moving around a bit until he gets a club with patience to see out the rebuild.