General NRL 2016 Round 8 - General Discussion

Which TWO games are most looking forward to?

• Broncos vs Rabbitohs

• Bulldogs vs Titans

• Raiders vs Tigers

• Cowboys vs Eels

• Sharks vs Panthers

• Knights vs Manly

• Dragons vs Roosters

• Storm vs Warriors

Results are only viewable after voting.
NZWarriors.com

NZWarriors.com

NRL 2016 Round 8 - General Discussion

R8

A thread for all 2016 Round 8 team lists, discussions, news and views. Serves as a team list thread and game day discussion for all games through the week. A new like this thread will open every Tuesday for team list Tuesday.

Feel free to add team lists as they become available people. Thank you...

R8 Draw

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

How funny is it to see the Rorters at the bottom of the table?
I can't believe that the eels are the only team rooting the cap, Sharks and Cowboys have star studded rosters, but in the case of the Cowboys who are like us "not a Sydney team" would need all the help they can get to go back to back.

Also "Mods" the countdown clock is stuck on the Bulldogs game?

mode81

mode81

Cowboys are looking firm to go back to back I reckon. Their the team to beat and they'll go close again no doubt about it. Cowboys are looking more clinical now and JT is playing freely without the weight of expectations of winning a Premiership. Be interesting to see how the Eels go in Townsville.

Not liking these foot trips.. noticed a big increase in them lately. Still is, was and always will be a dog act. I hope the NRL clamp that shit out and come down hard it's a bad look for the game. Not interested in the caught off balance argument because most of it has been obvious and blatant. Grow some nuts bin the culprits and suspend them for a couple of games that'll sort that garbage out.

What's up with players touching the refs as well? Whether it's on purpose or by accident we know the refs are bastards at the best of times but it's almost taboo for players to touch a referee no matter the circumstances. They should be protected no matter the scenario this isn't soccer where those players come from all angles screaming at the ref like little girls, that's just farkin disgraceful behaviour. I'm all for harsh punishment if any player touches a match official it's not even a matter for debate.

Reactions: 1 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Not liking these foot trips.. noticed a big increase in them lately. Still is, was and always will be a dog act. I hope the NRL clamp that shit out and come down hard it's a bad look for the game. Not interested in the caught off balance argument because most of it has been obvious and blatant. Grow some nuts bin the culprits and suspend them for a couple of games that'll sort that garbage out.
Yeah I remember tripping use to so rare and most incidents were accidental. Seems to have become popular now. The problem is the NRL and refs have gone far too soft. It should be a sin bin and automatic suspension for so many games. The other one is the professional foul to stop tries. A lazy 10 minute sin bin IMO is an acceptable punishment if it wins you a game. Thats utter BS. Should be a red card everyday of the week. I expect that to become used more often unless its clamped down on. Both things are ruining the game...

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Yeah I remember tripping use to so rare and most incidents were accidental. Seems to have become popular now. The problem is the NRL and refs have gone far too soft. It should be a sin bin and automatic suspension for so many games. The other one is the professional foul to stop tries. A lazy 10 minute sin bin IMO is an acceptable punishment if it wins you a game. Thats utter BS. Should be a red card everyday of the week. I expect that to become used more often unless its clamped down on. Both things are ruining the game...

I agree on the professional fouls, more frequent use of the sin bin is a must. But, you know the refs would get it wrong/be inconsistent week after week like everything else.

I don't think I could handle unjust red cards given to our players incorrectly or given to us whilst the Gallen/Birds of the world get away scott free down the other end of the field.

Reactions: 4 users

Selector

Love the NZ anthem being sung before Broncos Rabbitohs

Had to lol when they showed the Kiwi players from the Broncos singing the anthem and then they showed Goodwin from the Rabbitohs and nothing. Sorry he's really an Aussie.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ranger

Ranger

Had to lol when they showed the Kiwi players from the Broncod singing the anthem and then they showed Goodwin from the Rabbitohs and nothing. Sorry he's really an Aussie.

Probably has to re-learn it everytime he gets picked for the Kiwis.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Had to lol when they showed the Kiwi players from the Broncod singing the anthem and then they showed Goodwin from the Rabbitohs and nothing. Sorry he's really an Aussie.
His dad was "Lord" Ted Goodwin a Dragons star, in the days when the Dragons were real stars. Ted was Maori born in NZ. Actually come to think about it Ted might be the first Kiwi born player to ever play first grade in Sydney. Some trainspotter may be able to correct me. Bill Noonan from the Dogs was around the same time but I think Ted was the first.

Reactions: 2 users
Viking

Viking

His dad was "Lord" Ted Goodwin a Dragons star, in the days when the Dragons were real stars. Ted was Maori born in NZ. Actually come to think about it Ted might be the first Kiwi born player to ever play first grade in Sydney. Some trainspotter may be able to correct me. Bill Noonan from the Dogs was around the same time but I think Ted was the first.

Born in Crows Nest according to Wikipedia.

snake77

snake77

Nice big crowd at tonight's game. Must awesome for the Broncos to play at that stadium every second week. With all of the talk of investments in stadiums in Sydney hopefully we get our waterfront stadium and don't get left behind.

On the discussion above about tripping being a rare occurrence and the referees going soft. Remember when Blocker Roach got suspended for patting the ref on the head. At the time I was young and thought it was funny and harmless but it was "you don't touch the referee". We have had 10 years of the players and the refs arguing about every decision now that the NRL try and enforce the rule every club that has a player charged can point out another incident that wasn't. Or its got to the point where there is debates if it should be forbidden to touch the referee.

Reactions: 1 user
snake77

snake77

Cowboys are looking firm to go back to back I reckon. Their the team to beat and they'll go close again no doubt about it. Cowboys are looking more clinical now and JT is playing freely without the weight of expectations of winning a Premiership. Be interesting to see how the Eels go in Townsville.
There has definitely been a changing of the guard so to speak from the Storm/Sea Eagles to the Roosters/Souths now to the Broncos/Cowboys being the teams to beat. Have to say the current two trendsetters are a lot better to watch with the way they move the ball around.

If we can't make the Grand Final I wouldn't complain if we see a rematch of last years; especially after that game a few weeks back.

snake77

snake77

It's been a mistake fest so far.
It has but it also been pretty fast paced. There has been a lot of talk of Souths being exhausted so the question is how long can they keep up with the Broncos? Or are we in for an upset?
These types of questions are why we love the weekend.

Selector

Will Michael McGuire see the season out? Looking like it will be the Rabbitohs 5th loss in their last 6 games. Pressure will start mounting at some point.