• Its ok

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Who cares, just win!

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NRL 2016 Round 6 - Warriors vs Sea Eagles TEAM LIST

thomas-leuluai-of-the-warriors-is-tackled-during-the-round-13-nrl-picture-id170216538
Thomas Leuluai Set for return against Manly?

Thomas Leuluai is set to play his first game in almost 11 months while Jonathan Wright replaces the injured Manu Vatuvei for the Vodafone Warriors’ sixth-round NRL clash against the Manly Sea Eagles at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday (7.30pm kick-off; match day sponsor: Woodstock).

Leuluai (30) had his 2015 season ended by an ACL injury in the club’s 10th-round game against the Parramatta Eels on May 16 last year.

He has been included on a five-man bench but is poised to come back for his 68th NRL appearance on Saturday night.

Wright is named on the left wing after Vatuvei was forced off with a hamstring injury 66 minutes into Sunday’s 32-28 golden point win over the Sydney Roosters in Gosford. He made a try-scoring appearance filling in for Vatuvei against Melbourne on March 28, his only previous NRL outing so far this season.

Vodafone Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden has made one other change to the starting line-up used against the Roosters, moving Sam Lisone to loose forward with Albert Vete going to the bench.

“We have to get through training this week but we’re expecting Thomas to be back after a long time out,” said McFadden.

“With Manu we’re not sure about his injury but Jonathan comes in to fill his spot as he has done for us before.”

After returning home from Gosford yesterday, the Vodafone Warriors have a field session tomorrow building up to a battle against one of their toughest opponents. Manly has a 19-8 advantage in 27 games between the two clubs and boasts a 10-3 record in meetings at Mount Smart Stadium. The Sea Eagles have won nine of the last 10 contests with the Vodafone Warriors’ sole success an 18-16 win in Auckland in 2013.

“They always bring a tough attitude and they’re difficult to get over,” said McFadden.

“We’ve had to come down from the excitement of what happened in Gosford.”

The Vodafone Warriors’ back-to-back wins over Newcastle and the Roosters have netted 72 points including a total of 13 tries, half Shaun Johnson collecting three to lift his career tally to 49 while his overall points total now sits at 586.

Centre Solomone Kata bagged his second double of the season on Sunday giving him six tries so far – second behind Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco – and 18 in total in 29 consecutive games since his debut in round one last year.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Tuimoala Lolohea, the architects of the match-winning try against the Roosters, come into the Manly match with impressive form.

Tuivasa-Sheck finished with a game-high 171 metres from 18 runs. His try aside, he came up with try assists for Vatuvei and for Kata’s second try, three line break assists, three tackle breaks and 14 supports.

As well as inspiring Tuivasa-Sheck’s moment of glory, Lolohea made 160 metres from 12 runs, produced try assists for Johnson’s second and for Tuivasa-Sheck’s touchdown plus two line breaks.

Jacob Lillyman marked his 150th appearance for the club by making 159 metres from 20 runs plus a brilliant pass to create Johnson’s first try.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v MANLY SEA EAGLES
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
7.30pm, Saturday, April 9

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK
2 TUIMOALA LOLOHEA
3 BLAKE AYSHFORD
4 SOLOMONE KATA
5 JONATHAN WRIGHT
6 SHAUN JOHNSON
7 JEFF ROBSON
8 JACOB LILLYMAN
9 ISSAC LUKE
10 BEN MATULINO
11 SIMON MANNERING
12 RYAN HOFFMAN (c)
13 SAM LISONE

Interchange:

14 JAZZ TEVAGA
15 ALBERT VETE
16 CHARLIE GUBB
17 KONRAD HURRELL

18 THOMAS LEULUAI

HEAD COACH | ANDREW McFADDEN

Attachments

• 170216538.jpg
    170216538.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 3 users
It's funny because the team list article speaks from the angle that Leuluai will be playing in this match despite being named 18th man?

Is the bye-bye Robbo??

Reactions: 2 users
I think Cappy will wait until gameday again before naming Tommy on the bench and Tevaga out. I reckon he just wants Luke to sweat. Looking froward to Tommy's D. Should improve us no end. Anything he does on attack will be improvement on Robbo.

Reactions: 5 users
Overall - good team.

Shame that Bodene isn't back yet, but Sam seems like a far better, more logical option at lock rather than Albert. He's got great ball playing pre and post line, really good footwork and I'd be willing to bet he could churn out a fair few more minutes if asked to too. Good call.

Strange to me that Jono keeps getting pick as Manu's replacement... Sounds like Allwoods been going really well in reserve grade, and if there's one thing he has above Jono (and probably the most important asset for a winger), it's his speed.

Tommys an interesting one - obviously they've been very conservative with his recovery, so I'm sure he's more than ready to play... But I would have preferred to see him blow some cobwebs off in reserve grade first. Alas, there's one of two ways I see this playing out - either Jazz drops off (for some reason I doubt it'll be Konnie) or Robbo drops out of the team... Which would be quite the controversial call. Really interested to see what ends up happening with this.

Apart from Jono and Robbo, that's a really good team...

I just want more than anything to beat these bloody Sea Eagle bastards. It's time we became the feared team in this comp.

Reactions: 1 users
Shame that Bodene isn't back yet, but Sam seems like a far better, more logical option at lock rather than Albert. He's got great ball playing pre and post line, really good footwork and I'd be willing to bet he could churn out a fair few more minutes if asked to too. Good call.
You forgot to mention his offloading skills.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'm picking Tommy drops back to NSW Cup else he would've been named in the 14 jersey ... I'll be honest I'm a little confused at having Both Tommy & Jazz in the 18:confused:

Reactions: 1 user
NRL: Leuluai set to return for Warriors
SCCZEN_020416GTYWAR485574959_620x310.jpg

After a seemingly endless period on the sidelines, one of the most important players in the Warriors squad could make his NRL return on Saturday.

Thomas Leuluai is set to play his first game in 11 months, in the sixth-round clash against the Manly Sea Eagles at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday.

Leuluai (30) had his 2015 season ended by an ACL injury in the club's 10th-round game against the Parramatta Eels on May 16 last year.

His importance can't be understated; he is a good option in the halves or at hooker, is one of the best defenders in the club and has a lot of influence within the culture. He's always a good foil for Shaun Johnson, and will put pressure on Issac Luke to maintain his form.

Leuluai has been included on a five-man bench but is poised to come back for his 68th NRL appearance on Saturday night.

Meanwhile, Johnathan Wright comes in for Manu Vatuvei, after the veteran winger was forced off with a hamstring injury 66 minutes into Sunday's 32-28 golden point win over the Sydney Roosters in Gosford.

He made a try-scoring appearance filling in for Vatuvei against Melbourne.

Warriors coach Andrew McFadden has made one other change to the starting line-up used against the Roosters, moving Sam Lisone to loose forward with Albert Vete going to the bench.

"We have to get through training this week but we're expecting Thomas to be back after a long time out," said McFadden.

"With Manu we're not sure about his injury but Jonathan comes in to fill his spot as he has done for us before."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11617341

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm expecting jazz to drop off the bench.
My preference would've been for shoulders to have a run in reserves first but I think robsons form (or lack there of) may have forced cappys hand a bit and they're looking to bring him into the fold as soon as possible.
Vete, gubb, shoulders and konnie is actually a really well balanced bench. Vete and gubb have both picked up where they left off last year and bring good impact, TL covers the halves and hooker and konnie can have a cameo in the fowards while also providing all important cover at center and wing ( and as a by product of that fullback as he can slip into tuis spot while tui shifts to the back if need be).
Looks like all our bases are covered.
It might not be a bad thing to rest jazz either as he's already played a bigger part than we were expecting this year and he's a good chance a reclaiming his bench spot in the not to distant future when the seemingly inevitable happens and shoulders moves Into the halves to partner Shaun Johnson.

Reactions: 7 users
Not really looking forward to Wright being in the team. Basically a slightly less error-prone, winger version of Robson AKA 'solid' in defence and one of the slowest cu**s in the NRL.

TL, we always knew would come into calculations pretty rapidly ... lets hope he's up to it.

Reactions: 7 users
cannot afford to have a guy - Leuluai, who has not played for 11 months come in without at least a reserve grade game to prove they are up to it. With the reduced interchange we cant afford to find out that he's not as good physically as was thought.

Reactions: 6 users

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
cannot afford to have a guy - Leuluai, who has not played for 11 months come in without at least a reserve grade game to prove they are up to it. With the reduced interchange we cant afford to find out that he's not as good physically as was thought.
Players like Thomas Leuluai dont come in via reserve grade. If Simon Mannering was out for 11 months he would still come through 1st grade even if he could only 30 minutes...

I think Cappy will wait until gameday again before naming Tommy on the bench and Tevaga out. I reckon he just wants Luke to sweat. Looking froward to Tommy's D. Should improve us no end. Anything he does on attack will be improvement on Robbo.

Dont think it has anything to do with playing mind games with Isaac Luke. Probably over thinking it. IMO Cappy's simply giving Tommy until the captains run to prove he is fit...

Reactions: 9 users

Jordan G

They tried to give TL a run in NSW Cup, but he overcalled them on it.

It's the return the league world has been waiting for.

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Not really looking forward to Wright being in the team. Basically a slightly less error-prone, winger version of Robson AKA 'solid' in defence and one of the slowest cu**s in the NRL.

TL, we always knew would come into calculations pretty rapidly ... lets hope he's up to it.
I could play outside Kata as I know, not to expect a pass!

This change is as expected.....

I'd expect Jazz to drop off the bench.

Good to see our injured players coming back with TL and Sao available this week. Last year it seemed we were never at full strength; hopefully we will soon everyone except Henry available.

Now we just need Thompson healed up; especially how he's been going this year.

It will be interesting to see where TL slots in this week. I haven't checked but it looked like Luke went the full 80 last week and pulled out a good performance as well. Now will we see TL at dummy half or replacing Robson in the halves.

The article lists our recent record against Manly. That is pretty ugly reading. We knocked off some hoodoos the last few years with wins in Townsville and a few others. Another won needs knocking off this weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.