General NRL 2016 Round 1 - General Discussion

What game are you most looking forward to (besides the Warriors)?

• Eels vs Broncos

• Manly vs Bulldogs

• Raiders vs Panthers

• Cowboys vs Sharks

• Roosters vs Rabbitohs

• Titans vs Knights

• Storm vs Dragons

Results are only viewable after voting.
We have to get through the Tigers first but next week against the Broncos is going to be tough.

agreed.

a) we have a 6 day turn around (including flying from Sydney to Auckland, then Auckland to Brisbane) vs Brisbane's 8 day turn around
b) game is at 7pm Queensland time in early autumn/late summer - let's hope it's not boiling and completely humid
c) crazy Suncorp crowd, probably be sold out, Brisbane, one of the top ranked sides this season playing their first home game of the year coming off a win in round 1...

It'll be tough - you'd have to argue the odds are stacked against us.

So in saying that, just because we're the warriors - we'll probably win...

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
agreed.

It'll be tough - you'd have to argue the odds are stacked against us.

So in saying that, just because we're the warriors - we'll probably win...

Obviously Bennett knows what he’s doing, but I don’t love his tactic of sitting on a lead, kicking penalties and just completing sets, it bit them on the ass in the grand final.

They have a superior defence so will back themselves to hang onto most leads, but they could’ve put that weakened eels side to the sword if they really wanted it.

Bennett also gets them to peak later in the season, so it might not be bad thing getting the Brisbane game in early.

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Obviously Bennett knows what he’s doing, but I don’t love his tactic of sitting on a lead, kicking penalties and just completing sets, it bit them on the ass in the grand final.

They have a superior defence so will back themselves to hang onto most leads, but they could’ve put that weakened eels side to the sword if they really wanted it.

Bennett also gets them to peak later in the season, so it might not be bad thing getting the Brisbane game in early.
Agree 100%. Even if it works all season long, what's the point when it costs you the very thing they were all in aid of, the GF?

Reactions: eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
https://www.nrl.com/friday-late-mail-round-1/tabid/10874/newsid/93434/default.aspx

Understand Merrin taking ET's place but strange that he can't even a spot (if this is correct).

Sacking Ivan for Griffin will end up a terrible decision IMO, he did weird shit at the broncos, playing Corey Parker at prop, Josh Hoffman in the halves and that time they got pumped by us with Wallace at hooker and McCullough in the second row, crazy stuff.

Uncle wayne didn’t need to change personnel much (Milford and Boyd) and they were in the grand final.

The panthers do have more backrowers than they know what to do with, but Marquee is better player than Yeo, who is starting.

Raiders are part of my multi, think they might flog them, no Moylan, no Whare, c’mon green machine.

EDIT from the same article

Wests Tigers: There are rumours Jack Littlejohn could start at hooker, with Chris Lawrence starting at five-eighth, Kyle Lovett starting in the second row and Manaia Cherrington starting on the bench, although the Tigers have said this week Cherrington was capable of playing 80 minutes at hooker.

Warriors: No changes expected.

I hope they try it, broken down, bulked up Lawrence in the halves with Mitchell Moses leading them around as the key man?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger and Sup42
Shit scared of the Broncos team.

Their defense is suffocating and attack is multi dimensional and the way they grinded out the Eels was amazing as well.
Yeah me too.
Still even though they look awesome...it doesn't change the fact that they bring out the best in the Warriors.
I'm more concerned that the Warriors will be spent after a War with Brisbane......win or lose....I can see us coping a toweling the week after....the kind of hiding that sees new players disillusioned and coaching staff under more pressure than is healthy.

DO we get channel 9 commentary on sky at all this year with this new Fox initiative??? Someone please tell me there's an option for channel 9 feed...
Out of interest I checked for alternate commentary last night. No luck. My understanding it is not the same feed with different commentary which would make the alternate commentary work. Fox have sent out their own crew to the ground.

My guess is we will get Channel 9 for Origin and the Finals as I recall they might be exclusive.