minute

Improved defensive effort?

• Yes

• Barely

• Still shit!

• No

• Its worse!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I dunno, when Melbourne scored that try that got denied I think they got that wrong.. and that was the bunker.

Refs feel so sorry for the Warriors they give mercy calls

By definition the call was correct because the man catching the ball was inside the lead runner.

On the flipside it had little to do with the play and was actually well constructed. Legally no try. Leaguely - Try all day

Danpatmac

No 6 is obviously the Bullet Point in point. How do you define a "spear tackle"? I'd argue a spear tackle is one where the defending player is off the ground (perpendicular or at an angle, doesn't matter) when he makes first contact with the attacking player. The defending player dives towards the attacking player, which it seems to me means the defending player A) Stopping running, propping himself and B) Making a dive-like motion, propelling themselves (pushing from the feet) forward towards the attacking player. Going by the TVNZ video (I assume every website has the same/similar angles), when Gavet makes first contact with Munster, you can see one of his feet is still on the ground. As the tackle is finished, his feet do leave the ground but honestly, I don't see how a player can avoid that happening at some point in that kind of tackle. The body is stretched in making the tackle, what else are the feet going to do? Detach from the legs like "Shit, better stay planted in case there's a penalty!"?

I concede that you could make a spear tackle ruling if you were new to the reffing world, but an NRL ref should know better.

Says he from his multi-years worth of knowledge gained from watching from the couch/seat as circumstances dictate.

The law doesn't say anyhting about a spear tackle.
It clearly states it is referring to the tackler 'spearing' into the opponents legs.

A traditional spear tackle is throwing a player to the ground like a spear, this is about the tackler themselves as the spear, not the tackled player.

It reads pretty clear to me.

Inruin

Contributor
No 6 is obviously the Bullet Point in point. How do you define a "spear tackle"? I'd argue a spear tackle is one where the defending player is off the ground (perpendicular or at an angle, doesn't matter) when he makes first contact with the attacking player. The defending player dives towards the attacking player, which it seems to me means the defending player A) Stopping running, propping himself and B) Making a dive-like motion, propelling themselves (pushing from the feet) forward towards the attacking player. Going by the TVNZ video (I assume every website has the same/similar angles), when Gavet makes first contact with Munster, you can see one of his feet is still on the ground. As the tackle is finished, his feet do leave the ground but honestly, I don't see how a player can avoid that happening at some point in that kind of tackle. The body is stretched in making the tackle, what else are the feet going to do? Detach from the legs like "Shit, better stay planted in case there's a penalty!"?

I concede that you could make a spear tackle ruling if you were new to the reffing world, but an NRL ref should know better.

Says he from his multi-years worth of knowledge gained from watching from the couch/seat as circumstances dictate.
not a spear tackle. Spearing in at the legs. Which is what Gavet did

and what he said:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 person
By definition the call was correct because the man catching the ball was inside the lead runner.

On the flipside it had little to do with the play and was actually well constructed. Legally no try. Leaguely - Try all day
Watching that at the time I thought at worst he was in line with the lead runner when he received the ball and the runner was 10m in front of him and not obstructing anyone but they made that call instantly, they didnt even replay it or pause

Inruin

Contributor
How was it the correct decision when it was thrown out by the match committee as having no case to answer.

That law was only introduced to stop a third defender from diving into a players legs whilst being held up in a tackle.
That is the only time that law has ever been enforced until now. The way it has been written in the attachment has left it way open for interpretation. Don't be surprised if they change it very soon now that the committee has made a call dropping the charge.
I thought it was a bullshit call at the time and watching the replay my view on it hasn't changed.

Also hats off to Shaun Johnson for taking ownership for his lack of decision making for that game, thats 2 games in a row he's piped up. Then we have Roger Tuivasa-Sheck talking about sorting out shit with his own game maybe they will both click at the same time. Like this weekend would be good boys!
Just because he didnt get suspended doesnt mean it wasnt or didnt deserve a penalty.

And Shaun Johnson has piped up two games in a row? Lets see if we can make it three. Chris Sandow of the Warriors.

• Haha
Reactions: Freddie Futler
Jeff Robson ... his defence is awful. That try to Munster was all Robson. Watch him plant his feet and turn his shoulders in as the play goes out the back. The Darius Boyd try, all Robson. Its three on three, line has slid well, Boyd runs on an angle from about 3 metres from Robson and Robson moves half a metre in the same time it takes Boyd to cover the three metres. He doesn't even get to put a hand on him.

I'm absolutely hating him being our halfback. He has no attack, his kicking game is average, his defence due to age is poor, and we have a bloke to invest in that we are playing on the wing, its only a matter of time before he requests a release. Young Ata Hingano at the age of 18 is a far superior player in my view than Robson.

It seems, yet again, we've invested in a 'good bloke', much like our coach, a 'good bloke'. Robson would not be halfback at any other club. Secondly, he certainly would not keep a youngster out of the halves role. Thirdly, that youngster would not sit on the wing catching bombs. Andrew McFadden is crippling this young halfback IMO. He can never develop catching splinters on the wing. Cappy is a disgrace.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck does rack up big meters but I reckon he's using too much energy taking hit ups that he doesn't have too. Reliefe runs and kick returns are a must and he's very good at it but I get frustrated when he pops in mid set and takes a hit up for the sake of it.
His energy can be better utilised supporting and then setting up for the big sweep play.
Did anyone see him in the first half take a hit up when we were hot on attack, then in the same set receive the ball on the sweeping play down the right in space but was gassed because of the previous hit up. Something more could've come of that play if he wasn't gassed from the hit up.
He is so crucial to our attack that I just think he needs to be smarter about when and where to inject himself.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has always been like that. He has an insatiable appetite to dominate. He hates seeing players drop off. I've seen it on a number of occasions this year where blokes have their hands on their knees, and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck comes from nowhere to take a hit up he shouldn't have to. I've seen him sit out on the fringe too, and either he get the ball with no space, or not get the ball. At the Roosters there were opportunities for him to make an impact on attack because the inside players created space for their outside men, here at the Warriors we are so awfully coached, and we are so stifled by a 47 year old journeyman at halfback, that our edge players have little chance, aside from individual brilliance, to make an impact.

Jordan G

Interesting to see the referees report on NRL about the Gavet tackle… He had a 'wrapping motion' and the tackle was fine. Essentially saying it shouldn't even have been a penalty let alone a report. Also saying the bunker had said at the time that it was not a reportable incident.

Correct. The knock Munster suffered wasn't even a result of the "spear" it came because of the awkward way his leg got twisted under Gavet.

What Gubb was legally doing for 15 minutes was far more brutal and spear like than the Gavet tackle.

Jeff Robson ... his defence is awful. That try to Munster was all Robson. Watch him plant his feet and turn his shoulders in as the play goes out the back. The Darius Boyd try, all Robson. Its three on three, line has slid well, Boyd runs on an angle from about 3 metres from Robson and Robson moves half a metre in the same time it takes Boyd to cover the three metres. He doesn't even get to put a hand on him.

I'm absolutely hating him being our halfback. He has no attack, his kicking game is average, his defence due to age is poor, and we have a bloke to invest in that we are playing on the wing, its only a matter of time before he requests a release. Young Ata Hingano at the age of 18 is a far superior player in my view than Robson.

It seems, yet again, we've invested in a 'good bloke', much like our coach, a 'good bloke'. Robson would not be halfback at any other club. Secondly, he certainly would not keep a youngster out of the halves role. Thirdly, that youngster would not sit on the wing catching bombs. Andrew McFadden is crippling this young halfback IMO. He can never develop catching splinters on the wing. Cappy is a disgrace.

All good points sir. I agree fully. Robson is no threat on Offence and is a liability on defence. It's bad enough that Shaun Johnson tries to absorb tackles and doesn't show any effort on defence.. I'd much rather have Lolohea (Who isn't a winger and shouldn't be on the wing) or Hingano there.

• Lilyman was left on the filed too long. Showed a lil fatigue, luckily they didn't try to target him.
  • Robson is a slow non threatening man with ball in hand. He showed a little more effort on defence, still not good enough.
  • Johnson didn't want the ball, although he did pace himself well in the first half. Needs to put a shoulder in on defence.
  • Was impressed by Tevaga, showed courage. A few risky offloads but did great nonetheless.
  • Jono Wright was also disappointing showing no threat on the wing. Anyone can 'catch and put a ball down.'
  • Loloheai isn't a winger, swap him for Robson.
  • Thompson made a few key errors, Good as usual on Defence.
  • Kata NEEDS to learn how to pass.
  • Hoffman ALSO NEEDS to learn how to pass esp close to the line, few ineffective runs there. If he just drew and passed to his centre..etc.
  • Vete also ineffective, needs more carries too (Not entirely his fault tho).
  • Gavet needed more playing time, the more mongrel on the field, the better. Maybe him and Gubb on at the same time every now and then?
  • Sheck did his job, he's still trying to get used to a new team... He'l come right, 200+ metres three games straight? Why is he hated heaps on this site ?

Anything to add?

Reactions: Afakasi247
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has always been like that. He has an insatiable appetite to dominate. He hates seeing players drop off. I've seen it on a number of occasions this year where blokes have their hands on their knees, and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck comes from nowhere to take a hit up he shouldn't have to. I've seen him sit out on the fringe too, and either he get the ball with no space, or not get the ball. At the Roosters there were opportunities for him to make an impact on attack because the inside players created space for their outside men, here at the Warriors we are so awfully coached, and we are so stifled by a 47 year old journeyman at halfback, that our edge players have little chance, aside from individual brilliance, to make an impact.
thats Why We need Manu back ASAP cant win without Him.Smashs Yards All Day

"Last year was a tough year for me [after an Anterior Cruciate Ligament rupture], being away from family and being shown the door from the Warriors," he said.