minute

Improved defensive game?

• Yes

• Barely

• No

• Same shit!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jordan G

Is anyone else of the opinion that Ryan Hoffman is just about the most ineffective ball carrier in the competition? I mean he has descended to Matt Prior type level of ineffectiveness. 12 runs for 64m, that is like 5 meters a hit-up, even Simon managed 8 meters per hitup...which is about usual for him. Why is this guy playing 80 minutes?

While I'm not disagreeing that his hit up play has been below par I will point out that quite a few of his runs are short balls where he's hitting it straight into the defense the moment he gets the ball. Without a line break it's always going to hurt his per run stats a little.

The question I'd be asking is why Robson is giving him flat balls like that or dummying himself and running with no thought to going wide.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 person

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Is anyone else of the opinion that Ryan Hoffman is just about the most ineffective ball carrier in the competition? I mean he has descended to Matt Prior type level of ineffectiveness. 12 runs for 64m, that is like 5 meters a hit-up, even Simon managed 8 meters per hitup...which is about usual for him. Why is this guy playing 80 minutes?
He'd be on par with Todd Lowrie...

Maybe Hoffman is not just an 80 minute player anymore. The problem with buying veterans is that you just don't know when they are going to hit the wall and become ineffective. The worry for me is I thought Hoffman tried hard and was still useless.

Reactions: Sup42 and eudebrito
so you'd say no to Kevin Proctor?
If Proctor turned down over the reported 700,000 per season from the Raiders to stay at the Storm in 2014 for only 500K offered by the Storm, he wouldn't be coming here considering we wouldn't even be able to match the Storm's offer. By time he was down to a figure we could afford, I'd suggest his effectiveness would also have dropped. Myself, I'd rather we go for NAS - would cost less and we could lock him in for a much longer time while having him in his prime.

Personally, I'm just over paying too much for guys to come over from Oz for more than they're really worth (and being paid for past performances) and then performing poorly in our second row.

So, in short, yes, I wouldn't have him because he isn't available now, would most likely cost us too much when he is and most likely be on the downhill side of his career when we could afford him.

Reactions: Jay M
If Proctor turned down over the reported 700,000 per season from the Raiders to stay at the Storm in 2014 for only 500K offered by the Storm, he wouldn't be coming here considering we wouldn't even be able to match the Storm's offer. By time he was down to a figure we could afford, I'd suggest his effectiveness would also have dropped. Myself, I'd rather we go for NAS - would cost less and we could lock him in for a much longer time while having him in his prime.

Personally, I'm just over paying too much for guys to come over from Oz for more than they're really worth (and being paid for past performances) and then performing poorly in our second row.

So, in short, yes, I wouldn't have him because he isn't available now, would most likely cost us too much when he is and most likely be on the downhill side of his career when we could afford him.

I was ignoring the cost aspect... but I'd happily swap him for Hoffman (for example).

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11605314

Successive defeats to begin the NRL season have not dented Andrew McFadden's belief in himself and the Warriors.

McFadden was answering fans' criticism about losses to the Tigers and Broncos which have revved up the early-season calls for a coaching change.

"I don't waver here. I am really determined and I am very confident with what we are doing," McFadden told the Crowd Goes Wild Breakfast this morning.

"The pressure of being a coach is all part of the job so it is something I am more than willing to walk into."

The game with the Broncos was strong on quality and very physical and both sides struggled to break down the other until the Warriors lost two outside backs to injury.

"They took advantage with two quick tries and we couldn't peg them back, they were too good."

McFadden defended the Warriors' fitness and said the injuries hurt their interchange roster.

"Both teams were gassed in the first half if you look at them. They got some momentum in the second half and took advantage of it. At the end of the game most of our guys were pretty exhausted."

He was prepared for a week of mounting pressure as the Warriors prepared to host the Storm. The squad had to work hard and focus on what needed doing.

"There was a lot to like about our performance against Brisbane at the weekend," he said.

"They were at full strength, they couldn't have been any more full strength than they were. It was a high quality game and they only just got over us in the last 15 minutes.

"We will get a lot of confidence out of that and if we had played a lot of most other teams we would have rolled over the top of them," McFadden declared.

Patterns were still a little disjointed and players like Isaac Luke and Shaun Johnson would continue to improve as combinations gelled further under match pressure.

Johnson did not run the ball as much as the coaching staff wanted but those instincts would develop along with the team confidence.

The effort was consistent against the Broncos but the team performance had to be more co-ordinated. McFadden said his side need to slug out a result to give them the impetus they needed.

Reactions: ryno and OMG
Ignoring the cost aspect - welcome to the Sydney Rorters ;)

to be fair - your initial post only mentioned age - cost was nowhere in there ;)

Following on from my post above - McFadden mentioned most of our guys were exhausted by the end of the Broncos game...

did we run out of interchanges then? because Lisone only got 19 mins and I didn't think he came off with an injury. I wouldn't have thought he'd have been gassed and could have possibly been used again?

Reactions: OMG

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
to be fair - your initial post only mentioned age - cost was nowhere in there ;)

Following on from my post above - McFadden mentioned most of our guys were exhausted by the end of the Broncos game...

did we run out of interchanges then? because Lisone only got 19 mins and I didn't think he came off with an injury. I wouldn't have thought he'd have been gassed and could have possibly been used again?
pretty sure he was pulled early with a shoulder complaint

Lolohea on the wing is surely a no no. He has been awful really, he is a centre, on the bench for Roache or not playing at all IMO.

Last tackle options were poor, the Bronco's were extremely tight on defence, it looked like we had nowhere to get through their line (that's largely a coaches job to show the guys how to do this). Injuries hit, and they burnt Roache out wide twice to get a good sized win under the belt.

Fitness was obviously on the side of the Broncos late in the game. Hoffman the magic man, you never see him!

I agree with the comment 'overrated',
But, who over-rates the roster? The media. Fairweather fans. Never the team itself. But, who pays the price for when they don' live up to false expectations?
Agree with everything you said in that post. Thats why I can't understand how some people here are buying into this Aussie media bullshit that Cappy only has a couple more game to the ship around before he gets the sack.
Firing the coach before the end of this season is such an amateur move, especially from us.

I still think there are some personnel decisions/changes that need be made before we can even be competitive with the elite teams like the broncos, which is why i said 'overrated' because this team is not even close to top 4 standard, even on paper and not just off current form alone. But it will take another 1-2 years before Doyle is able to call this his own roster.

Reactions: Sup42

tajhay

🏉
Not sure if mentioned yet but Matulino is looking at 3-4 weeks out after being cited by the match review committee. Lillyman also charged but should be able to play with early plea. Matulino is looking at 3 weeks with early plea.

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor
Agree with everything you said in that post. Thats why I can't understand how some people here are buying into this Aussie media bullshit that Cappy only has a couple more game to the ship around before he gets the sack.
Firing the coach before the end of this season is such an amateur move, especially from us.

I still think there are some personnel decisions/changes that need be made before we can even be competitive with the elite teams like the broncos, which is why i said 'overrated' because this team is not even close to top 4 standard, even on paper and not just off current form alone. But it will take another 1-2 years before Doyle is able to call this his own roster.

On paper you cant get much better than what we have - the team is littered with rep players.

I'm feeling positive - we'll probably lose this weekend to Storm - kick up a big pissy fit about sacking Cappy but I think we'll come away with Wins against Knights, Rooster and Manly....

3-3 after 6.

I think its pretty obvious he didnt take the line on cause he wanted the last piece of cake but Cappy pulled rank and took it. He has every right to be pissed off and hopefully Cappy learnt his lesson...

No, Blindside and everybody, Princess' schnozz is so obviously out of joint not because he didn't get the captaincy because he didn't get the captainicity. You should look up the thread up about Mannering's captainicity to see what I mean. That's why Princess is being pissy. Look forward to Hoffman doing the toys/cot/throw routine when he realises what he's missed out on, too BTW. Baaaaaad vibes ahead.

Think Matulino should just take the guilty plea. Get it over and done.

• Haha
Reactions: OMG
After 2 rounds we are 12th, hardly the worst start to a season we have had :(

On watching a replay a few things stood out as odd. First tactical kick....that bald guy from Sharks. First attacking kick...that bald guy from the Sharks. If Princess is our goto guy then why is tbgfts (that bald guy from the sharks) so involved?
Gavet starting I get but he gets hooked after 16 minutes? With the reduced interchange this seemed strange.

We wanted effort, we got effort. 65 minutes in, 2 players down, score is 18-10...we were still in it, just. We faded but didnt let a blowout happen. The Broncs are a good side, give them some credit.

Not sure if mentioned yet but Matulino is looking at 3-4 weeks out after being cited by the match review committee. Lillyman also charged but should be able to play with early plea. Matulino is looking at 3 weeks with early plea.
WTF – just watched the replay of that again and that is such a bullshit call. To quote Tana "it's not like their playing tiddlywinks"

Reactions: mt.wellington

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
WTF – just watched the replay of that again and that is such a bullshit call. To quote Tana "it's not like their playing tiddlywinks"
He had his arm wrapped in, not extended for a tackle. Text book shoulder charge, under todays rules imo.

Btw love the 2000ad name.