Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 9 - Sharks vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Stone

Stone

Really pissed off with Solomone Kata for his schoolboy error. You get taught that as a kid. Two hand dive or under the arm slide. Almost bobbled it again for his second attempt. Mind boggling!

I cannot agree with this more, anyone saying those were NRL level "rookie" mistakes are dreaming, even bloody schoolboy U/10s know not to do that

And to make it worse Kata did it again only moments later almost with the same result ... my definition of a drongo = someone who does not learn from their mistakes

Also reminds me of that quote from the movie White Men Can't Jump ... " a brother would rather look cool & lose than look uncool & win" ... or something to that effect

koolkat

koolkat

id argue with it was a poor technique from tupou and say he has gotten his head in the wrong position. i mean hes just thrown himself in desperation to stop konnie. konnie has slightly turned his hip and braced for impact.

yeah he raised his knee slightly but what is he meant to do stop running when someone tries to tackle him?
Yeah I thought it was just bad head position from tupou,when the baby ryno was about to a bump or do his air step. just a horrendous injury but that's contact sport

mtsmart

mtsmart

id argue with it was a poor technique from tupou and say he has gotten his head in the wrong position. i mean hes just thrown himself in desperation to stop konnie. konnie has slightly turned his hip and braced for impact.

yeah he raised his knee slightly but what is he meant to do stop running when someone tries to tackle him?

Accidental contact with the knee for mind, but probably won't stop the judiciary from throwing the book at Konnie. He might want to consider adding a fend to his repertoire of methods of disposing of tacklers.

surfin

surfin

snowdens was a shoulder charge and he was sent off. Konnie was running in full flight and tupou was coming in from the side. i say lets fight this and get him off the charge.

I am still totally pissed off with that game. Shit refereeing, stupid put downs, in the bad ol days of leather balls nobody tried those stupid fuckin one hand put downs, Tui,coming out of your own in goal just get friggin low even if you just dive out. Shaun Johnson scored the try but Hoffman won the game, even when he regathered and made the break not a single Warrior in sight. I hope Cappy absolutely reams them at training this week. Konnie will be gone but the replays I saw Tupou was hit with the hip and not the knee but since he isn't a potential SOO player and the jaw was broken it's a done deal. I still think the way the bench is used is rubbish, why have two blokes there that spend most of the time watching the game like the rest of us.

Fazz

Fazz

Konnie looked like he made contact with his hip I thought , didnt think his knee was anywhere near Tupou or particularly raised for that matter

I feel like Konrad was bracing himself for the impact too. It's irrelevant though. The reactionary NRL will take one look at Tupou's injury and absolutely cane Hurrell.

facefacts

I cannot agree with this more, anyone saying those were NRL level "rookie" mistakes are dreaming, even bloody schoolboy U/10s know not to do that

And to make it worse Kata did it again only moments later almost with the same result ... my definition of a drongo = someone who does not learn from their mistakes

Also reminds me of that quote from the movie White Men Can't Jump ... " a brother would rather look cool & lose than look uncool & win" ... or something to that effect

And yet there are far far more experienced players in the team making substantially more schoolboy errors than Kata...hard to expect a nine game rookie to cut stupid errors from his game when those supposed to be setting an example cant.

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Friend, that has to be it, was woeful. Letting Ennis steal it out of your hands is an absolute joke. Retire already Friendy, tweet the Chief and ask for a trainer role.

What was worse was game in the balance, we're hot on attack sharks redzone 4th tackle, and he precedes to skip pass our main playmaker/ golden boot winner to.....Lillyman?...wtf?

Wasnt the only one with a few of those moments but we're flogging a dead horse there.

BA-AD Luck

BA-AD Luck

I am sticking with Kata but by gosh every week he stuffs something up! Friend was horrendous and unfortunately embarrassing. He has to be the first one picked for NSWCup next week. Havili your moment, take it or end of the line for you with Bully arriving next season. Hurrell will get some time but not significant. Hopefully enough to strengthen his knee. I fear Manu is out for the season. Hopefully it is just bruising on the sternum but that looked like a pectoral tear the way he fell.

Back row machines and our front row is burning piping hot. I used to hate and disrespect Wright but I find him rather endearing these days. Solid; a modern day Halligan without the place kicks. Lolohea has to stay in the team. I am thinking of right centre for Hurrell.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Konnie looked like he made contact with his hip I thought , didnt think his knee was anywhere near Tupou or particularly raised for that matter
Hate to say it but after reviewing it looks like he'll be out for some time. Definitely goes in with a raised knee. Whether or not he was bracing is beside the point IMO...

Screen shot 2015 05 09 at 112116 PM

Screen shot 2015 05 09 at 112155 PM

Selector

What a hard game to watch. Ugly as hell! Felt like I was watching the Wooden Spoon Grand Final with both teams doing their best to win the spoon.

Great we managed to cut down the errors but we simply replaced them with penalties. Strangely enough even though we looked like we were on the sharp end of the stick we ended up with 10 while the Sharks had 11. Some serious squaring up by the refs on the second half.

Really pissed off with Solomone Kata for his schoolboy error. You get taught that as a kid. Two hand dive or under the arm slide. Almost bobbled it again for his second attempt. Mind boggling!

Hope Manu Vatuvei is ok but looked like he was in serious pain. Could be out awhile.

The other one who could be out is Konrad Hurrell. Could be argued that it was accidental as Tupou wasnt even looking where he was tackling but I think the precedent was set when Kade Snowden accidentally broke Ray Thompson's jaw. Got 7 weeks for it. To be frank Tupou's is fucked and ended up in an ambulance so its not good for him.

Pic of Anthony Tupou's injury. DONT CLICK ON THE THUMBNAIL IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

What's frustrating is you would think Kata's coaches at junior levels would have seen the habit he has in incorrectly holding the ball and coached him how to correctly hold the ball. Your get the excuse he's young but he shouldn't be making those kind of errors in first grade.

• Haha
Reactions: facefacts
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
What's frustrating is you would think Kata's coaches at junior levels would have seen the habit he has in incorrectly holding the ball and coached him how to correctly hold the ball.
Brought up Tonga so he wouldnt have had any development whatsoever. Most likely spent lunchtime playing Held with a netball, deflated rugby ball or even a coconut. I have literally seen all three with my own eyes...

t-wade23

t-wade23

Most thoughts on the game have already been said it was terrible until the last ten mins. Hoffman with the huge play and Shaun Johnson stepped up when we needed it Kata bit of bone headed play to drop the ball over the line but he made up with two plays with driving Holmes into Touch and scoring the Try as well.

Fear for Manu hopefully it's not a long layoff and Hurrell will proberly get the book thrown at him by the Judiciary hopefully its not too long.

Going to Parra next week which hasn't been a happy hunting ground in recent seasons but if they win there going into the bye being 5-5 is not too bad considering how much injurys and inconsistent play that had gone on this year.

fanrrior

fanrrior

Wondering why didn't Kata switch the ball to his right hand when he tried to go for that try. It was like he was inviting Bird to slap his arm. Hopefully its just something that'll come with experience.

Also, huge props to Lolohea for that chase down. I love what Tomkins brings but having a last line of defence that actually deserves to be called the last line of defence is a nice change.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Just a note on Lillyman after i blasted him earlier for letting the side down early in the game. Second half he was the first and one of the few people to actually run hard and straight at the opposition when the side was under the pump.

However i cant say i thought Shaun Johnson was worth MOM today as his poor goal kicking is what kept the warriors from retaking the lead. He did have 2 amazing plays late and 1 really good play early but his kicking game was not on target.

To be honest i cant really find a MOM this game. The hoff lost it early with giving away multiple penalties, but i love his never say die attitude. Shaun Johnson was good but not great. Matulino was invisible, Mannering gave away so much on attack. Jono Wright stood and watched people run past.... the list goes on.

Who was the official MOM?

BTW i actually think the sharks were worse than the Warriors. The reffing wasnt great but other than 2 incidents it really wasnt that different than what they are used to weekly.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Just watched the game, fantastic to get the win but my god was that game painful to watch!
Bullshit penalties and Kimorley commentary certainly didnt help.
Have to admit I recorded this game so I could fast forward if/when we turned to shit, came close to switching off but glad I didn't!

Definately needed that win, had we lost I dare say it would have almost been season over.

Not sure whats up with this team but why do we always look so tired and unmotivated? Concerning the amount of passes finding the ground, surely this stuff should be clicking by now?

With the exception of a couple of soft tries our defense was looking better.
Starting to warm to Thompson and Wright
Would mind seeing what Tui brings to 6 once Tomkins comes back
What is up with Konnie? That boy is falling from grace FAST at this stage<Kata
Sharks were getting away with Murder in the rucks, a few WTF penalties against us the a couple for us to "even" it up
Fafita is one irritating bastard in everything he does.

• Sad
Reactions: Warrior