Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 24 - Warriors vs Cowboys Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
Just want to throw up my opinion. I was at game on Saturday but still didn't want to make comment until I leas caught the highlights online. Having seen the game three times now ( - twice online ) all I can say is though we can blame injuries that ruled just about half of our top side out for the heavy lost last week it's lack of cohesion as team with their sets that has me concerned. I really do think we need a new coach next year than caretaker coach we've got now because as good as players like Issac Luke and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will be they will only be as good as structures around them and that was one crucial thing to me that was missing on weekend. That as good as it was to watch (especially in the first ten minutes of game ) to me there really wasn't much structure to the style of rugby league we were playing and that's why we got beaten so badly ... :(

Reactions: mt.wellington
Just want to throw up my opinion. I was at game on Saturday but still didn't want to make comment until I leas caught the highlights online. Having seen the game three times now ( - twice online ) all I can say is though we can blame injuries that ruled just about half of our top side out for the heavy lost last week it's lack of cohesion as team with their sets that has me concerned. I really do think we need a new coach next year than caretaker coach we've got now because as good as players like Issac Luke and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will be they will only be as good as structures around them and that was one crucial thing to me that was missing on weekend. That as good as it was to watch (especially in the first ten minutes of game ) to me there really wasn't much structure to the style of rugby league we were playing and that's why we got beaten so badly ... :(
I reckon coaching this team is all about defense. Ball busting training, 8 hours a day, every day. Then tell them to make something up on attack on game day...

Training is probably a little too much fun ATM... Too much ego stroking attacking drills that everyone in the comp can read and shut down easy...

If you ask me, Joey Johns is spot on about The Warriors. Pathetic is being kind.

This is what I do not understand. The drop in morale and "giving up" mentality that kicked in just after the 15 minute mark, when they could - and should - have been gaining momentum.

I do not believe for one moment, that the team does not have the collective ability to defend better than they did. They were virtually allowing opposition players to walk through them.

There must be something psychologically wrong with this team.

Reactions: Johnnyray
This is what I do not understand. The drop in morale and "giving up" mentality that kicked in just after the 15 minute mark, when they could - and should - have been gaining momentum.

I do not believe for one moment, that the team does not have the collective ability to defend better than they did. They were virtually allowing opposition players to walk through them.

There must be something psychologically wrong with this group of individuals.
I fixed that for you...

Reactions: Raurimu Massive
I fixed that for you...
How the fuck do we miss out on signing Steve Matai, he has his family and beloved brother here but we still can't get him, all he would have wanted is a 3 year contract at a bargain price I bet, that would have ended our defensive edge problems in 1 signing and sorted it out for the next generation as well, fucken morons can sign another matt allwood!!!!!!!??????????

How the fuck do we miss out on signing Steve Matai, he has his family and beloved brother here but we still can't get him, all he would have wanted is a 3 year contract at a bargain price I bet, that would have ended our defensive edge problems in 1 signing and sorted it out for the next generation as well, fucken morons can sign another matt allwood!!!!!!!??????????

That already got suggested around here about recruiting Matai but most would have had you believe that we already had the centres we needed. That's the ass backwards thinking that goes on around here.

Reactions: Harlz and jonno
Just relived the loss agian, but this time.... To a musical accompaniment.

Monday night with Matty Johns. Played our games highlights ( lowlights to Warriors fans ) with the Harlem Globetrotters comedy music in the background.
Devestated doesn't sum it up.

The match summary must have lasted 60-90 seconds max, but boy, it was a lifetime.

When it comes to our lack of defence out wide on Saturday, with Granville's dummy half work drawing a central defender and virtually guaranteeing that spreading the ball wide would end up with our backline defenders struggling to cope with Thurston's ability to put players into gaps... how the hell do you combat that?

We've all slagged the lads off, and deservedly so, but we've got a shitload of people here who know league, has anyone got anything beyond the unhelpful "make the 1-on-1 tackles" or "learn to defend"? Those are just too simplistic and offer no real solutions. The problem was created through great work up the middle from the Cowboys; is our marker defence the problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Just relived the loss agian, but this time.... To a musical accompaniment.

Monday night with Matty Johns. Played our games highlights ( lowlights to Warriors fans ) with the Harlem Globetrotters comedy music in the background.
Devestated doesn't sum it up.
Didn't he do that for our huge loss to the Panthers a few years back as well?

Does he only reserve it for the Warriors big losses? I can't recall him dishing it out to the other clubs even with some of the big scores we were rattling up last year like the 48-0 we racked up against the Eels.

Unfortunately the way we are playing we probably deserve it.:(

When it comes to our lack of defence out wide on Saturday, with Granville's dummy half work drawing a central defender and virtually guaranteeing that spreading the ball wide would end up with our backline defenders struggling to cope with Thurston's ability to put players into gaps... how the hell do you combat that?

We've all slagged the lads off, and deservedly so, but we've got a shitload of people here who know league, has anyone got anything beyond the unhelpful "make the 1-on-1 tackles" or "learn to defend"? Those are just too simplistic and offer no real solutions. The problem was created through great work up the middle from the Cowboys; is our marker defence the problem?

Yes, I think our marker defence is a big problem. We are unable to make any impact against the dummy half because rarely do we have two markers up and square ready to go. We seem to have to scramble back half arsed into marker D and more often than not we have only one marker as the other is still prone on the ground from an ineffective tackle.

Tidy this area up

Last edited:
Reactions: Raurimu Massive