Team List NRL 2011 Round 19 - Warriors vs Bulldogs TEAM LIST

danco_old

The Warriors have given Joel Moon a start at centre ahead of Krisnan Inu for the home side's crucial Friday night encounter with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in an otherwise unchanged lineup.

skysport.co.nz, Tuesday, 12 July 2011 2.01 p.m.
Share|

Photo: Getty

The Warriors have given Joel Moon a start at centre ahead of Krisnan Inu for the home side's crucial Friday night encounter with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in an otherwise unchanged lineup.

Another win on Friday would put the sixth placed Warriors (20 points) firmly in the top eight of the competition with seven rounds remaining.

Moon slots into centre, a position made vacant by Lewis Brown, who hobbled off Mt Smart Stadium two minutes into last Friday's 22-6 win over the Gold Coast Titans.

His selection continues the rollercoaster season of Krisnan Inu. Used on the wing in patches this year, the former Parramatta Eels centre has had a tough time winning selection in either position.

Moon's selection comes as a result of a rich vein of form for the Auckland Vulcans, who defeated Balmain-Ryde 40-24 to find themselves two points behind the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NSW Cup.

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said Moon's hard work for the Vulcans has paid off, earning him his 75th NRL appearance.

"With Lewie [Brown] out injured, he has earned a chance to come back into the side for what is another really important game for us.

"We got the result we needed against the Titans but we'll have to be stronger in all areas this week."

Glen Fisiiahi's groin injury sees Bill Tupou to continue to ply his trade on the wing, while Brett Seymour's cheekbone injury will rule him out for a further two weeks.

Warriors side to play the Bulldogs on Friday 15 July:
1. Kevin Locke, 2. Bill Tupou, 3. Joel Moon, 4. Shaun Berrigan, 5. Manu Vatuvei, 6. James Maloney, 7. Shaun Johnson, 8. Russell Packer, 9. Aaron Heremaia, 10. Jacob Lillyman, 11. Feleti Mateo, 12. Simon Mannering (c), 13. Micheal Luck.
Interchange:
14. Lance Hohaia, 15. Sam Rapira, 16. Ben Matulino, 17. Elijah Taylor, 20. Steve Rapira.
Share|

RRG_old

I heard that Radio Sport will soon play an interview of cleary by Alan Macdiddy in which he asks why no inu

2big2strong_old

That has to be one of the most cheesiest news headlines that I've ever read. "Moon eclipses Inu".

dingleberry_old

It's a great headline, I'd be really happy with that. almost as good as the alasdair thompson, "It's over. Period".

danco_old

Whether Moon gets that long to impress remains to be seen. He certainly doesn't need any reminders of how fickle his chosen career can be.

Inu, one of the team's better performers throughout the middle part of the season, is also no stranger to the vagaries of selection. A slightly flaky but ultimately reliable performer on the wing for 12 consecutive matches, Inu was hailed as a natural centre when he was switched to the graveyard position for the round 15 defeat by the Cowboys in Townsville.

That experiment lasted just the one match. Inu hasn't been sighted since.

"He's just down there sitting on a mat," Cleary said when asked where Inu was.

Asked to explain why the devout Mormon should find himself in such purgatory, Cleary said: "He knows. He has a few things to work on there."

Mt Smart Stadium, 8.30pm Friday

WARRIORS
Kevin Locke
Bill Tupou
Joel Moon
Shaun Berrigan
Manu Vatuvei
James Maloney
Shaun Johnson
Russell Packer
Aaron Heremaia
Jacob Lillyman
Feleti Mateo
S. Mannering (c)
Micheal Luck

BULLDOGS
Ben Barba
Steve Turner
Josh Morris
Jamal Idris
Jonathon Wright
Kris Keating
Trent Hodkinson
Aiden Tolman
Dene Halatau
Sam Kasiano
Frank Pritchard
Andrew Ryan
David Stagg

Warriors: Lance Hohaia, Sam Rapira, Ben Matulino, Elijah Taylor, Steve Rapira.

Bulldogs: Greg Eastwood, Martin Taupau, Gary Warburton, Ben Roberts.
By Steve Deane | Email Steve
View: NRL round 18 Photos NRL round 18 (21 pics)

NRL: Moon gets chance to impress
NRL: Storm victory cements spot at top of table
NRL: Little bit of Luck for victory
NRL: Maloney at the heart of Warriors revival

Related Tags

NRL
New Zealand
Sport
Warriors League Team

Be part of the news. Send pics, video and tips to nzherald.

Send
Find Beauty Therapy in your area

Relevant Offer
Tickets to RWC 2011 are on sale now!

Jesbass_old

Whether Moon gets that long to impress remains to be seen. He certainly doesn't need any reminders of how fickle his chosen career can be.

Inu, one of the team's better performers throughout the middle part of the season, is also no stranger to the vagaries of selection. A slightly flaky but ultimately reliable performer on the wing for 12 consecutive matches, Inu was hailed as a natural centre when he was switched to the graveyard position for the round 15 defeat by the Cowboys in Townsville.

Asked to explain why the devout Mormon should find himself in such purgatory, Cleary said: "He knows. He has a few things to work on there."

WARRIORS
Kevin Locke
Bill Tupou
Joel Moon
Shaun Berrigan
Manu Vatuvei
James Maloney
Shaun Johnson
Russell Packer
Aaron Heremaia
Jacob Lillyman
Feleti Mateo
S. Mannering (c)
Micheal Luck

BULLDOGS
Ben Barba
Steve Turner
Josh Morris
Jamal Idris
Jonathon Wright
Kris Keating
Trent Hodkinson
Aiden Tolman
Dene Halatau
Sam Kasiano
Frank Pritchard
Andrew Ryan
David Stagg

Related Tags

NRL
New Zealand
Sport
Warriors League Team

Send

Relevant Offer

From this article: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10738087

danpatmac_old

WARRIORS
Kevin Locke
Bill Tupou
Joel Moon
Shaun Berrigan
Manu Vatuvei
James Maloney
Shaun Johnson
Russell Packer
Aaron Heremaia
Jacob Lillyman
Feleti Mateo
S. Mannering (c)
Micheal Luck

BULLDOGS
Ben Barba
Steve Turner
Josh Morris
Jamal Idris
Jonathon Wright
Kris Keating
Trent Hodkinson
Aiden Tolman
Dene Halatau
Sam Kasiano
Frank Pritchard
Andrew Ryan
David Stagg

Related Tags

NRL
New Zealand
Sport
Warriors League Team

Send

Relevant Offer

Yussss!

edguy_old

Moon, who is off contract with the Warriors at the end of the season, said he was looking forward to "showcasing" his skills to other NRL teams with a run in the first team.

"It's good to be in the team for that, better than being in the team at the Vulcans," he said.

so we picked a bloke that is obviously leaving{or trying to leave } and havent picked one of out 2 star signings again .why pay these blokes big money to play for the vulcans?
doesnt make sense to me .

so now the warriors are the show case team ? we showing off blokes for next year now.i think thats a very bad attitude to have going back into first grade..

Jesbass_old

Moon, who is off contract with the Warriors at the end of the season, said he was looking forward to "showcasing" his skills to other NRL teams with a run in the first team.

"It's good to be in the team for that, better than being in the team at the Vulcans," he said.

so we picked a bloke that is obviously leaving{or trying to leave } and havent picked one of out 2 star signings again .why pay these blokes big money to play for the vulcans?
doesnt make sense to me .

so now the warriors are the show case team ? we showing off blokes for next year now.i think thats a very bad attitude to have going back into first grade..

You seem to be implying that we should be selecting players based on the size of their salary. I don't think whether a player is on big money or not should even come into the selection equation.

edguy_old

no implications.but the bloke played well for 14 rounds, had 1 bad game and hes plying his trade with the vulcans.. manu is our top payed player and well realisticly he should be in the vulcans on previous form??? am i not right in that statement ?hes been shocking for the last 6 weeks or so ...i doubt though he will ever be dropped ..he earns way to much ..alot more than inu. lol

edguy_old

isnt it more relevant to pick guys that will be our future ?someone that will be here next year. rather than a bloke that is by his own words is "show casing his talents for other clubs? can u guys really agree with that?
if inu has dont something so terribly wrong that he deserves to be languishing in reserve grade fine ..but then "JUST TELL US "
dont say . oh hes sitting over on the mat there? thats pathetic..

Spence_old

Erm, it's a tricky one Edguy. I personally believe in picking the best team available that week, however it is worthwhile planning for the future as well... I'm undecided on the subject.

edguy_old

i guess , if someones playing great footy then of course they stay in first grade..they are professional football players after all , but yeah , where is the line drawn in the sand?and when ?

Jesbass_old

It's a bit like asking about the length of a piece of string, I suppose.

I agree that Vatuvei will rarely get dropped, but his salary wouldn't be behind that. It would be more to do with his talisman effect - the team lifts when he's on the field. An out of form Vatuvei still commits multiple defenders and creates gaps. A smaller winger is unlikely to have as much impact.

I also believe in playing the best team possible as long as our season isn't mathematically over. Building for the future is all well and good, but I want to win this year - I don't want to wait until next year. If that means a rookie spends time in the Vulcans at the expense of a better player in his last year with the club, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator: