Post Match NRL 2009 - Round 6 - Warriors vs Roosters Post Match Discussion

warriors_ballboy_CEO_old

NRL 2009 - Round 6 - Warriors vs Roosters Post Match Discussion

Warriors skipper Steve Price admits he made a mathematical blunder that turned to gold when his team beat the Sydney Roosters 17-16 with a field goal in extra time.

A sheepish Price said he thought his team was leading when he called up winger Denan Kemp to kick the penalty goal which actually levelled the scores at 16-all with five minutes remaining.

"Mate, this is a bit embarrassing but I thought we were up by two," Price said.

"That's why I took the two points ... I was actually going to bag (Roosters five-eighth) Braith (Anasta) at the end of the game when he went for a field goal. I was going to laugh at him and say, 'You're down by two'.
"When we were going to get in a huddle for extra time I realised it was 16-all."

Veteran halfback Stacey Jones ensured the decision to go for penalty goal, rather than for a winning try, was the right one when he kicked the field goal to seal victory in extra time.
Asked if he'd been left confused by a knock to the head, the captain laughed and said: "No, my maths was a bit off."

Price, who has been out with a serious throat injury for the past two games, joked that there might not have been "enough oxygen getting to the brain, not doing anything for a couple of weeks".

"It's funny, but it's not really funny," he said.
Coach Ivan Cleary backed Price's call to go for the penalty goal rather than a try, saying: "It was the right decision".

Error or not, it was a crucial win for the Warriors, who were coming off a three-game losing streak. They will now go into next week's match against the Melbourne Storm at Olympic Park - where they pulled off the shock of last year's final series - full of confidence.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25355509-23214,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern_Union

Brings back memories of Terry Lamb snapping a drop goal from infront against Norths with about 45 seconds left to leave Norths with a 1 point win against Lambs Canterbury team. Lamb thought at the time that they were level on 12 points each only to find out with his team mates yelling at him "what the f***are you doing" that they were down by 2.

Spence_old

Alright, let me get this right? Price, and all other props, are big womanly males? ;)

Jesbass_old

Brings back memories of Terry Lamb snapping a drop goal from infront against Norths with about 45 seconds left to leave Norths with a 1 point win against Lambs Canterbury team. Lamb thought at the time that they were level on 12 points each only to find out with his team mates yelling at him "what the f***are you doing" that they were down by 2.

Didn't he get stood down for a period following that matches on suspicion of throwing that match?

JonB_old

Alright, let me get this right? Price, and all other props, are big womanly males? ;)

What don't you understand about this?

Nah I am prop as well of the other code anyway, well in a playing hiatus since 07. I have a soft spot for props.....

Spence_old

What don't you understand about this?

Nah I am prop as well of the other code anyway, well in a playing hiatus since 07. I have a soft spot for props.....

Who doesn't have a soft spot for props?

Esoj_old

Who doesn't have a soft spot for props?

insert your mum joke here

I was hoping they would take the 2 since time was ticking down. I think pricey needs to have a word to get the boys to score closer to the posts make it a bit easier for poor kemp. anyway we ended up winning the game and getting the 2 points which is what counts at the end of the game.