Post Match NRL 2007 - Round 5 - Cowboys vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

sebastian_old

Price up among Warriors' leading tryscorers
By ROBERT LOWE

Skipper Steve Price has credited the New Zealand Warriors' gameplan for his early season tryscoring in the National Rugby League.
NRL STANDINGS
The prop has the club's second highest tally of tries for the year, with three in the first five matches.
Only injured winger Michael Crockett is above him with four.
Price's latest effort came in the Warriors's 34-14 defeat of previously unbeaten North Queensland in Auckland yesterday.
Just before halftime at Mt Smart Stadium, he took a pass from dummy half Nathan Fien and barged his way over to help his side tie the scores 10-10.
Price credited the work of coach Ivan Cleary and assistant John Ackland for the attacking opportunities that he had been able to finish.
"In the second half, the tries we got were from exactly the same shape – it was just different options," he said.
"Everyone is listening to what Ivan and John are telling us to do and it's really working for us. We've been able to focus on what works for us as a group."
It took Price until last season, his second with the Warriors, to open his account for the club – in the round seven victory over South Sydney. His total has now reached eight.
His touchdown yesterday was just reward for another superb allround effort, including carrying the ball for a game-high 270m.
It was his big run midway through the first spell that helped get the Warriors on the scoreboard, with winger Todd Byrne finishing off the attack he started.
Victory over North Queensland lifted the Warriors to fourth on the table and ended a run of two defeats – to the competition's only unbeaten teams, Melbourne and Manly.
It also extended their winning streak at home to six matches going back to last season.
Against the Cowboys, the contest had closed up early in the second half when a Johnathan Thurston try saw the Warriors ahead just 16-14.
But three tries in nine minutes in the final quarter saw the Warriors break clear.
"There were times when we just got too excited," Price said.
"When we settled down a little bit, the game had turned in the Cowboys' favour when they scored that try and we had to get it back again.
"There were a couple of turning points for us, a bit like last week when there were a couple of turning points against us. This week we just made sure they were ours."
The Warriors have a bye in the next round next weekend. Their next match is away to South Sydney the following weekend

Jesbass_old

Steve Price did help to set up Byrne's try, but it wasn't through making a big run. It was by offering a short pass to McKinnon who made a big run, and then Tuimavave made another.

As far as turning points go, I think we made the game ours when we held the Cowboys inside their twenty metres or thereabouts for their whole set. It was clear the Cowboys were panicking when everybody forget to tell the dummy half that it was the last play.

raypower_old

I'm going to go out there with my turning point or TP as some rugby announcers call it and suggest it was Thurstons missed conversion to make the scores 16-14. It seemed to me that the Warriors didn't panic it was swinging back to the Cowboys because of the slender lead. They stayed composed and cleaned up during the tail end of the match. Just my 2c...

Matrix_old

Pricey's the warriors best ever signing !!! He is so professional on & off the field & IMO is the best prop in the NRL

Skinny_Ravs82

He's a top bloke for sure. Does great things for the Warriors...and even when he was a Bulldog.