Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Riki is right edge. Only way he's getting offered what he's worth with us is if Niukore gets switch to fulltime middle
Also, buying in starting forward talent (rather than shoring up the 30 man squad) risks pushing Sifakula, Halasima, Zyon Maiu’u and co down the pecking order. For me, Halasima is the best talent of these, but is still a year away - Sifakula obviously injured atm, but hopefully will get time at the back end of next year.
We should make sure we have clear pathways for our young players, and try to only buy in to upgrade / full gaps. Does Riki fit that?

Also, buying in starting forward talent (rather than shoring up the 30 man squad) risks pushing Sifakula, Halasima, Zyon Maiu’u and co down the pecking order. For me, Halasima is the best talent of these, but is still a year away - Sifakula obviously injured atm, but hopefully will get time at the back end of next year.
We should make sure we have clear pathways for our young players, and try to only buy in to upgrade / full gaps. Does Riki fit that?

Tevaga, Harris, Curran, Ford all off contract at the same time so the answer is - it depends.....

I do agree with the clear pathways bit though.

Riki is right edge. Only way he's getting offered what he's worth with us is if Niukore gets switch to fulltime middle

Niukore can also play left edge as this article states with some stats, could he go that side and strengthen the defence that side and become TMM’s bodyguard.

Niukore can also play left edge as this article states with some stats, could he go that side and strengthen the defence that side and become TMM’s bodyguard.
Potentially. The Test vs Tonga last year is the only time I recall him on the left & he got his legs all tangled up on D which let in Tonga's only try

Potentially. The Test vs Tonga last year is the only time I recall him on the left & he got his legs all tangled up on D which let in Tonga's only try
As the article mentions of his versatility, give him a pre season there and I think he’d strengthen that side. I like the threat that Riki could pose on SJ’s side and the two minds it could put defenders in.
I’d be happy with a left edge of
Montoya/Kosi
Pompey
Niukore
TMM
and a right edge of
DWZ
RTS
Riki
SJ
Threats everywhere.

As the article mentions of his versatility, give him a pre season there and I think he’d strengthen that side. I like the threat that Riki could pose on SJ’s side and the two minds it could put defenders in.
I’d be happy with a left edge of
Montoya/Kosi
Pompey
Niukore
TMM
and a right edge of
DWZ
RTS
Riki
SJ
Threats everywhere.

Unless we get him a walking stick, SJ will be gone by the time any new recruits to the edge comes along (unless there's some crazy moves in the offseason this year)

I suspect our success will make the Warriors far easier sell to proven first graders or talented players stuck behind a superstar. If Webster wins coach of the year even more reason for talented players to come our way.
Therefore I expect some recruitment in the areas we are lacking, in the off season.

Unless we get him a walking stick, SJ will be gone by the time any new recruits to the edge comes along (unless there's some crazy moves in the offseason this year)
I’m picking the broncos will need to free up some money in order for Walsh and Mam not to get to market, they’d get paid well with plenty of teams looking for players in their positions. Read over there that Piakura was pid $500k on promise when the bulldogs were sniffing around. I reckon we could get him early.

A lot of people talking up Riki here, he has some X factor but very really turns it on throughout his career. He's a solid NRL player no doubt, but I wouldn't be signing him to a decent deal, he would just block the development of our massively talented second rowers coming though, and doesn't offer much more than Curran and Ford anyway. I don't think he would be worth re balancing our cap for.

Wobblebies at it again.

Wallabies eye boom Parramatta outside back​

Eddie Jones is looking to snare another league star.​

Wallabies coach Eddie Jones mightn't have gotten his hands on Cameron Murray or Will Penisini, but there's a surprise name on his hit list that could add some flare to his struggling side.

The nation fell embarrassingly at the 2023 Rugby World Cup to Fiji in their most recent match, a game they were expected to win with ease, leaving more egg on Jones' face.

However, while he isn't exactly a superstar by any means, Bailey Simonsson is the man being eyed off by the returning Wallabies head coach.

Jones and his fellow assistant have devised a hit-list of sorts, outlining targeted players who hit the open market on November 1st, and while there are several big-name stars, Simonsson was a surprise inclusion.

Although if you watched Bailey closely in 2023, you wouldn't be that surprised at all.
GettyImages-1185139990-696x433.jpg

Originally a mere makeshift, a fill-in in Parramatta's wounded backline, the former Raider shone at left centre, and certainly caught Jones' eye.

The Daily Telegraph first revealed Rugby Australia's interest on Thursday, with Simonsson's history in rugby union enough to draw attention to himself in the 15-man code.

He originally played union in high school before spending a year touring with New Zealand's 7s side internationally, before returning to Australia to play lower grades at Canterbury.

His contract doesn't expire at the Eels until the end of next season, and currently has an unanswered contract extension from Parramatta sitting in front of him, however a code-switch could be too much to resist for the youngster.

Wobblebies at it again.

Wallabies eye boom Parramatta outside back​

Eddie Jones is looking to snare another league star.​

Wallabies coach Eddie Jones mightn't have gotten his hands on Cameron Murray or Will Penisini, but there's a surprise name on his hit list that could add some flare to his struggling side.

The nation fell embarrassingly at the 2023 Rugby World Cup to Fiji in their most recent match, a game they were expected to win with ease, leaving more egg on Jones' face.

However, while he isn't exactly a superstar by any means, Bailey Simonsson is the man being eyed off by the returning Wallabies head coach.

Jones and his fellow assistant have devised a hit-list of sorts, outlining targeted players who hit the open market on November 1st, and while there are several big-name stars, Simonsson was a surprise inclusion.

Although if you watched Bailey closely in 2023, you wouldn't be that surprised at all.
GettyImages-1185139990-696x433.jpg

Originally a mere makeshift, a fill-in in Parramatta's wounded backline, the former Raider shone at left centre, and certainly caught Jones' eye.

The Daily Telegraph first revealed Rugby Australia's interest on Thursday, with Simonsson's history in rugby union enough to draw attention to himself in the 15-man code.

He originally played union in high school before spending a year touring with New Zealand's 7s side internationally, before returning to Australia to play lower grades at Canterbury.

His contract doesn't expire at the Eels until the end of next season, and currently has an unanswered contract extension from Parramatta sitting in front of him, however a code-switch could be too much to resist for the youngster.

I hope Eddie Jones stays as Wallabies coach for a long time. This is the exact nonsense that drove them into the dark ages back in 2001-2005 the last time he was the coach. Still haven't recovered.

Just in regards to our recruitment fams, none of us know the ledger balance of what we have to spend…however, I feel that our coaching and recruitment staff know what players are Warriors Brand type players. What I mean by that is the fit…they may be high priced players but they also could be players not in that bracket who are diamonds in the rough. Not all high profile players continue their form in new teams. Undiscovered or on the rise players will have a point to prove and fcuk the rest attitude and above all, want to be here and see their future here as a Warrior. Playing overseas, I’ve seen so many players come across and settle for that and think “I’m the man” “I got signed” but that’s only the start…the beginning. Playing first grade is only the cusp, being hungry, learning and being better in your craft is the end game in longevity in that career

This thread is almost redundant. I mean that nicely.
Our current brains trust are so far ahead of the curve they will be lining players up we have never even considered.
We will find out when they have signed them.
I think in the past some of the football department tried to make out how hard they were working.

You learn something new everyday.
He seems to have lived an interesting life
Paul Simonsson was a bloody good winger. I watched him play in yawnion.
Norths signed him and Daryl Halligan when Kiwis became popular in Sydney in 1990.
Simonsson was the big signing, he was an All Black. Halligan was an afterthought I think.
First game Simonsson was first pick on the wing. He got a terrible knee injury that I think ended his career. Quite brutal.
Halligan stepped into Simonsson's position and the rest is history.
To be fair I think Daryl was picked because apart from being able to play on the wing his goalkicking was superb.
However he did surprise people with his speed when necessary.

Back