General No one in their prime wants to live in NZ. Why?

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
That's this club all over IMO. Same with Blair......OK they got away with Price, and Campion i'll give them that.

Problem is, and always has/will be, no one in their prime that is any good wants to live in NZ. can you really blame them for that ?

This isn't an attack on Fan, but his comment is something we hear a lot. Why is it that no one wants to come and live here? is it really that bad a place? NZ I mean. Isnt Auckland suppose to be one of the top 10 places in the world to live? is our marketing strategy to bring players here all wrong?

If we packed up this club from South Auckland/Penrose and moved it to Remeuera, would the players then come to live in here?...

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Simple.

New Zealand isn't really a place where prime rugby league players/coaches see a future - blame union/league/everything for that - and, of course, it's away from family/friends.

Also, their current club might have in place something that player will do at the club after retirement comes calling.

The abscence of big, hairy eight legged things (comparatively, anyway) obviously isn't a big enough pull.

Reactions: Sup42

Big_Fattz

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 7, 2017
It would have a lot to do with already being in aus wouldn't it. I mean if there are 15 teams in aus we would have to be the 16th option and even then there is the ESL.
If you were to relocate from the blues to another franchise would you look at moving to aus? Not taking into account that you have to be in nz to play for ab's

Reactions: Sup42

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
OK so there are tonnes of factors here, but the main ones I can understand is;

- Travel, going to Aus and back every 2nd week would suck.
- Family, if there are 32 clubs in Sydney and that's where your friends, family and house is, why would you sign for similar money and move abroad?
- The Warriors isn't a club you move too to win a comp. Let's face it, until we do, this will be most players thoughts.
- Culture change, we've all heard the rumours of a perceived "bro culture." Would scare off players, especially when have a reputation of ruining careers, lose most our games etc..
- Climate, Australians still think of NZ as a weather hell hole. That's not the case, well not all the time..

I think the top 3 in my list are the biggest factors...

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
If you look at the bigger social picture, droves of kiwis head to Australia. Bondi could be part of NZ given the number of kiwis there. Not the same here. You'd be lucky to meet many aussies living in Auckland. Dime a dozen.

Is life in aus that much better? what am i missing? good weather? better jobs? better life? better parties?

Surely there must be something unique we can market to attract them here?

If we moved to the north shore and started marketing the club like Manly with it beaches, would that help? 10X cheaper and affordable. Players with young families would be attracted right?

EW needs to start thinking about this option if this year is another bust. He needs to think big.

Reactions: Uncmase

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
There is a lot to this as each individuals reasons for turning the club down would be different.

Family
We have lost a few players wanting to return to Australia to be closer to family either due to having a family or an illness in the family. So it is natural to assume a few players have turned us down as they don't want to move their young family away from family.

Location of Mt Smart
Elliott mentioned his initial thoughts of Auckland which was usually a trip from the airport to the ground or hotel through industrial areas. Some players would turn us down before getting to the stage where the club would give them a tour of Auckland and pull out all of the stops.

Moving away means new house, new schools for kids etc. A big change compared to a suburb change in Sydney.

Perception of the club
The club could be seen as lower profile, a perception of out of sight out of mind for rep teams. The inconsistency over 20 years has probably turned off a few players. Maybe we should review this if we get our shit together like 2001-2003.
The coach sacking recently probably also hasn't helped as who signed you may not be here when you arrive.

Weather
Jonno do your thing.;) Jokes aside there would be a perception or the weather they experience while they are here for games has turned off a few players. Like a lot of people I am not a natural Aucklander moving here for work, the weather mainly the amount of rain is different to where I grew up. I have a mate who comes up for events so a similar time frame to a player coming here and he will comment that it rains pretty much every time he comes here.

Mt Smart, facilities
Ok some of the Sydney suburban grounds are not the best so this one is a bit of a stretch. But compared to some of the Aussie grounds the perception of Mt Smart as a visitor probably isn't too appealing. The old facilities before the 2013 upgrade would have been a turn off as it would have looked like an unprofessional environment.
Turning a club down due to the home ground is a stretch but if you combine that with a few other points and you soon get reasons not to move.

Sponsorships, TPA's etc
Do players feel they will earn less money here? We hear from Aussie analysts about Johnson etc have a whole country to build their profile which is true but do NZ companies invest as much as the Aussie companies?
Do we have rich benefactors like some of the Aussie clubs? I wouldn't think we would. I mentioned previously Glenn shouldn't have been an owner but instead our source for extra income for the players.

The 9s having all of the players here for a longer period in summer you would have thought would of helped. Summer so the weather is usually warmer and the players get to see more of Auckland.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
There is a lot to this as each individuals reasons for turning the club down would be different.

Family
We have lost a few players wanting to return to Australia to be closer to family either due to having a family or an illness in the family. So it is natural to assume a few players have turned us down as they don't want to move their young family away from family.

Location of Mt Smart
Elliott mentioned his initial thoughts of Auckland which was usually a trip from the airport to the ground or hotel through industrial areas. Some players would turn us down before getting to the stage where the club would give them a tour of Auckland and pull out all of the stops.

Moving away means new house, new schools for kids etc. A big change compared to a suburb change in Sydney.

Perception of the club
The club could be seen as lower profile, a perception of out of sight out of mind for rep teams. The inconsistency over 20 years has probably turned off a few players. Maybe we should review this if we get our shit together like 2001-2003.
The coach sacking recently probably also hasn't helped as who signed you may not be here when you arrive.

Weather
Jonno do your thing.;) Jokes aside there would be a perception or the weather they experience while they are here for games has turned off a few players. Like a lot of people I am not a natural Aucklander moving here for work, the weather mainly the amount of rain is different to where I grew up. I have a mate who comes up for events so a similar time frame to a player coming here and he will comment that it rains pretty much every time he comes here.

Mt Smart, facilities
Ok some of the Sydney suburban grounds are not the best so this one is a bit of a stretch. But compared to some of the Aussie grounds the perception of Mt Smart as a visitor probably isn't too appealing. The old facilities before the 2013 upgrade would have been a turn off as it would have looked like an unprofessional environment.
Turning a club down due to the home ground is a stretch but if you combine that with a few other points and you soon get reasons not to move.

Sponsorships, TPA's etc
Do players feel they will earn less money here? We hear from Aussie analysts about Johnson etc have a whole country to build their profile which is true but do NZ companies invest as much as the Aussie companies?
Do we have rich benefactors like some of the Aussie clubs? I wouldn't think we would. I mentioned previously Glenn shouldn't have been an owner but instead our source for extra income for the players.

The 9s having all of the players here for a longer period in summer you would have thought would of helped. Summer so the weather is usually warmer and the players get to see more of Auckland.
bloody fuss pots

• Haha
Reactions: snake77

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
A lot of the comments so far are perception based.

Like for like we should be able to compete as a city against Canberra, North queensland and Melbourne. We cant compete with Sydney or Brisbane, they are just too far ahead of the curve but yet we lose out to these second tier cities in attracting talent when we should be miles ahead?

Theres something fundamental the top brass in management are not seeing. I cant put my finget on it but I'm getting close.

Reactions: Worried2Death

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
A lot of the comments so far are perception based.

Like for like we should be able to compete as a city against Canberra, North queensland and Melbourne. We cant compete with Sydney or Brisbane, they are just too far ahead of the curve but yet we lose out to these second tier cities in attracting talent when we should be miles ahead?

Theres something fundamental the top brass in management are not seeing. I cant put my finget on it but I'm getting close.

Melbourne is a great place, but even they are struggling to keep their players from moving on. Now that they can’t pay them with a second set of books that is.

The team isn’t good. Hasn’t been good since your hypothetical 23 year old young buck aussie looking for a big contract was playing under 18s in high school.

95% of them come from NSW or QLD, and grew up supporting the local side, they aren’t the most worldly of fellows, it just doesn’t occur to them that living in another country is worthwhile unless there is serious $$$$ in it.

Most of our aussies seem happy enough once they get here, we can’t seem to get Lillyman to leave! Feleti Mateo had to be forcibly removed. Nathan Friend kept asking for another contract.

If your were advising a free agent, you wouldn't tell them to come to auckland. you just wouldn't, the track record is your career will go backwards.

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
NZ is for losers.

Sorry but that's general consensus now, not just with alot of young Australians but also with alot of young NZers who are all looking to move overseas once they have finished school or in finding their next job. Everybody who's anybody is leaving this country now and those who are coming in here to replace us, are only using this place as backdoor to get in somewhere else like Australia, Canada or U.S. That's why for example, Australia is looking to eventually abandoned special relationship we've always have had with them as they just can't take everyone from New Zealand in anymore, not when more and more of country is leaving to go live there. Yes migration numbers to Australia are down from their record high a few years ago but there's no denying that even current numbers are excessive especially when you consider that most of them that are moving there are our young professionals such as Nurses, Doctors, Lawyers, Bankers, Corporate Types. etc. When it's like that do you really blame people not wanting to live here ? I don't ...

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
If you look at the bigger social picture, droves of kiwis head to Australia. Bondi could be part of NZ given the number of kiwis there. Not the same here. You'd be lucky to meet many aussies living in Auckland. Dime a dozen.

Is life in aus that much better? what am i missing? good weather? better jobs? better life? better parties?

Surely there must be something unique we can market to attract them here?

If we moved to the north shore and started marketing the club like Manly with it beaches, would that help? 10X cheaper and affordable. Players with young families would be attracted right?

EW needs to start thinking about this option if this year is another bust. He needs to think big.
I live in Perth. I came here as my wife had work here. I said 2 years, And we're going back home. Just wanted to experience life here and that's it. Home after 2 years.
She agreed.
There are shit loads of kiwis here. Winter time is similar to New Zealand. Lots of rain, Its cold (Nights especially. And early mornings.) Otherwise the norm is around 22 degrees during the day. We do have a lot of sunny, warm beautiful days as well. It actually feels like NZ summers lol. Summers, Well, Hot Af. But nearly every home as aircon & a pool (well we do)
So climate wise, Winter time can feel like we are back home(Except we get more sunny days than rain). Kiwis everywhere. Kiwishops with kiwi kai.
Wages are primo. Food & petrol so cheap. Can be quite expensive renting. Actually almost as bad as auckland. Buying a home here is achievable. House & Land packages start from $220k for a 3x2. Lifestyle is perfect.
We have been here 5 years. Will be buying our first home here.
I miss home. Always do. But the weather & affordable living here is just to good. Plus feeling like you haven't left home with all the ex pats here.
I can understand why we don't get a lot of players in their prime come here. It's to good.
Australia will never match the beauty of our little peice of paradise.
The only problem is the warriors are based in Auckland. Concrete City. Will hardly ever get to see the rest of our beautiful country.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Perception is a big thing,
Most Australians I know think the following things about NZ(not saying they are accurate)
-Cold
-A little behind the times
-Worse crime
-Boring
-Great Scenery
-People generally ok but overplay the "rivalry "(Aus barely know it exists)

I was in the don't want to leave NZ camp but got to see a bit of the world and my views changed - Still love the place and it is still home but we tend to hold it up to a standard that it isn't in reality.

Auckland or NZ can't compete really with Sydney or Melbourne in terms of lifestyle (Queensland/Brisbane tend to delude themselves with state pride) if you are young, in terms of things to do and opportunities it's just on another level so I can't see much of an appeal if players had options. Later on in life when raising a family/moving on from the city lifestyle NZ all of a sudden becomes a lot more appealing.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
You get a good standard of living in AU'S
By comparison to Auckland.
Economies of scale.

Auckland's housing market is reason alone to avoid these shores.

Who would come here with a wage promise that likely affords you only a shitty dwelling for your tenure here.

You need a million a year to gamble on owning a house that carries the risk of market collapse.

Most foreigners I deal with feel ripped off by our economy.

Many are pissed off with our Weather *tiny pacific Islands turn out to be rain and cold specs in the Southern Oceania.
Our NRL franchise is the antithesis of the migration from NZ to Australia.

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Question - how much of this negative
perception is true - about our club, culture and city???

Is it simply a case of self fullfilling perception oppose to fact?

Is Auckland weather really THAT bad? is crime really an issue and traffic terrible when comparing to our neighbours across the ditch?

If you think you're gonna lose, then more likely than not you will.

Its all marketing and image making to me. And we've done a horrible job of selling this club and city to the people we should be attracting. Too much focusing on the negative and not enough about the things which makes this citu great.

People chosing Perth over Auckland pretty much sums it up in my books.

No offense there Uncmase, never been to Perth - thought it was nothing more than a boring mining town. ;)

Reactions: Uncmase

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I cannot remember where I read it, and it was a while ago, but per head of population there are more Aussies here than Kiwis in Oz...go figure...and in years gone by the Aussies who came to play for the Warriors often liked it so much they stayed.

I think Blains first three points sum it up.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings