Social Movies

The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome are two of my favorite childhood movies which I used to rent all the time from my local Video Ezy so I was interested to see the trailer for the new prequel that's just been released. Bit of a let down. Just looked like a boring montage of CGI.

Sadly it hasn't been a good weekend of movie watching. I was curious about the Barbie movie since it was such a box office smash so gave it a go. What a mistake! Absolutely horrendous and I would feel really sorry for anyone who took their kids to the cinema to see it. How would you explain that stupid final scene?
I treid to watch it, which is an indictment on how poor options were, bro I couldn't stand it, so I never got to that end scene u speak of.

Looks good.

You could make riveting movies from pretty much the entire Dark Side of the Ring series.

Glad the industry has somewhat cleaned itself up because it was littered with the bodies of guys dieing way too young for years.
The Bruiser Brody or Gino Hernandez stories would be good.

Or to go all out the Johnny K9 one where their mate who seems like a big teddy bear gets wanted in regards to blowing up a police station.

Bro, your admitting to choosing to go to the Barbie movie on a league forum 🤣
Mate,

I watch Romantic comdies, I farqn love a good chick flick, always have, seen some of the better ones like Bridgette Jones, Notinghill etc more than once.

I have to be in the right mood. Maybe that's the difference? I only watch ROM COMs when I am looking for a pick me up, rather than being a real devotee like my Scifi addiction.

I am a period drama addict, including the female stuff, Pride and Predjudice the BBC version is my all time favorite....and Austin is totally chick energy.

Jane Eyre is a little more man energy, coz Jane herself is not a romantic woman, she is a lonely figure, while the male Lead Mr Rochester is dark, and that story has a very dark fkn twist, dark enough for any man to walk out of the theater and still feel his balls are intact.

Wuthering heights, I hated, too dark, twisted, messed up for my palate, still....as classic literature I had to read it / and see the film, to ensure my brain understands the people that would colonize my land and foist their English sensibilities on me and mine.

If you cannot handle all of that Romance, but want period drama (I don't mean war genre I mean sensitive stuff, no Russel Crowe shit) then Dickens is a mans go to, however....again....great expectations is my favorite which is a love story so....

If you cannot handle period dramas there are modern takes like Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrows Yank spin on geat expectations.

Lastly...I end my sermon by reminding you that it takes a very secure man in his own skin to talk about Barbie without needing the locker room dick comments to stop their balls shrinking.

Mate,

I watch Romantic comdies, I farqn love a good chick flick, always have, seen some of the better ones like Bridgette Jones, Notinghill etc more than once.

I have to be in the right mood. Maybe that's the difference? I only watch ROM COMs when I am looking for a pick me up, rather than being a real devotee like my Scifi addiction.

I am a period drama addict, including the female stuff, Pride and Predjudice the BBC version is my all time favorite....and Austin is totally chick energy.

Jane Eyre is a little more man energy, coz Jane herself is not a romantic woman, she is a lonely figure, while the male Lead Mr Rochester is dark, and that story has a very dark fkn twist, dark enough for any man to walk out of the theater and still feel his balls are intact.

Wuthering heights, I hated, too dark, twisted, messed up for my palate, still....as classic literature I had to read it / and see the film, to ensure my brain understands the people that would colonize my land and foist their English sensibilities on me and mine.

If you cannot handle all of that Romance, but want period drama (I don't mean war genre I mean sensitive stuff, no Russel Crowe shit) then Dickens is a mans go to, however....again....great expectations is my favorite which is a love story so....

If you cannot handle period dramas there are modern takes like Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrows Yank spin on geat expectations.

Lastly...I end my sermon by reminding you that it takes a very secure man in his own skin to talk about Barbie without needing the locker room dick comments to stop their balls shrinking.
I could play with Barbie all day long!

Margot Robbie 😍

Last edited:
Mate,

Mate,

Dickens books are still some of the most most vivid descriptions of squalor and poverty. The 1987 movie adaption of Little Dorrit is pretty good, think it was in two parts on tv.

Mate,

Poirot, midsummer?
Love those BBC detective picturesque murder shows

I reckon if you told the children of the 80s and 90s that there would be six new mega budget Star Wars movies, a live action GI Joe and a live action Barbie to look forward to they'd be stoked. Those poor children.
Too right - If you told me those films would get made 30 years down the road and that the Masters of the Universe movie from 80s would still be better than them, I'd have laughed and spat in your face...... but...

Too right - If you told me those films would get made 30 years down the road and that the Masters of the Universe movie from 80s would still be better than them, I'd have laughed and spat in your face...... but...
Yeah, I watched that Masters of the Universe movie again a few years ago and still enjoyed it. Dolph Lundgren looked the part as He-man. Meg Foster as Evil Lynn and Frank Langella as Skeletor were great too.

Yeah, I watched that Masters of the Universe movie again a few years ago and still enjoyed it. Dolph Lundgren looked the part as He-man. Meg Foster as Evil Lynn and Frank Langella as Skeletor were great too.
I remember being disappointed as a kid as to how far removed the movie was from the cartoon. Think they basically took over the sets/scripts etc of another failed sci-fi movie and sorta blended parts to save costs etc hence some of the Jack Kirby pastiche’s etc.
Skeletor/He-Man/Evil-Lynn we’re pretty good didnt even realise until I was a bit older that Beast man/Man-at-arms/Tesla were in the movie and I guess that goblin dwarf thing was supposed to be a reimagined Orco?

To stop this turning into a nostalgia thread about kids movie, I’m going to throw a couple of Stephen King movies out there.

Shaw Shank Redemption and the Green Mile - many King movies haven’t transitioned well but those two both are classics and possibly my favourite of all time. Both due to the great storyline where (unlike most movies) you couldn’t guess what was going to happen next.

For something lighter Forest Gump (again excellently written) and for a comedy, Happy Gilmour was my sort of humour! Terminator came out at the right age which had me blown away at the time with big Arny.

For a series, give me a Planet of the Apes over Star Wars any day of the week! And on Netflix it’s the Blacklist series.

To stop this turning into a nostalgia thread about kids movie, I’m going to throw a couple of Stephen King movies out there.

Shaw Shank Redemption and the Green Mile - many King movies haven’t transitioned well but those two both are classics and possibly my favourite of all time. Both due to the great storyline where (unlike most movies) you couldn’t guess what was going to happen next.

For something lighter Forest Gump (again excellently written) and for a comedy, Happy Gilmour was my sort of humour! Terminator came out at the right age which had me blown away at the time with big Arny.

For a series, give me a Planet of the Apes over Star Wars any day of the week! And on Netflix it’s the Blacklist series.

For something lighter Forest Gump (again excellently written)
I’m a big king reader and it is quite sad that his books don’t tend to translate to the screen well- (Rita Hayworth and the)Shawshank redemption is a rare example of how the movie is far better than the book, it probably helps that it was a novella so the movie had to pad a few bits rather than the reverse.To a lesser extent the Green mile is in a similar position.
More recent example is I enjoyed the Mr Mercedes adaption, as the case with the mentioned movies the cast play a huge part in how successful it is.
Forrest Gump is another example- the novel went some weird places lol

Back