General New Zealand Warriors general manager of football Brian Smith to leave club

Reaction score

Blindside

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
For me the writing was on the wall after the members forum meeting.
All the reports I read says George and Kearney mumbled rubbish and only Smith spoke coherently and to the point.
In a struggling club this puts a big target on his back.
Add to this the Australian staff members leaving en-masse and you have a smoking gun.
Now we learn Smith was in charge of the end of season review and it's little wonder he is no longer required as I can't believe it was flattering to SJ or CG.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I was only joking, they cannot be that stupid...can they?
You never know. Cameron George might be looking at this page as we speak/post/read and thinking "Now, there's an idea!"

But you're right. That would be a complete and total fuckup for both Stacey's mental wellbeing and the Warriors. The only person they can go with would appear to be Peyton. Not sure if there'd be any interest from anyone else.

Reaction score
Hadyn

Hadyn

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Here's my take on this for what it's worth and the characters involved.

Brian Smith: Undoubted ability to get his teams to Grand Finals.Reputation as hard nosed and takes a cerebral approach.That won't work with our dullard coach and generally unintelligent playing group.
If Smith had any say in either extending Kearneys contract or the one given to Blair that is proof to me he had lost whatever ability he had in talent identification therefore glad he is gone..

Kearney.: If he is not the coaching ranks undoubtedly biggest all time loser I do not know who is.The fact that it takes a season reveiw for him to then offer this gem for next season effectively saying " we need t o improve areas of our defence and attack if we to progress forward... "
I don't know what's worse the fact that it took Smith to come up with this or the fact that you just know that Kearney won't be able to do anything about it.I have said it once and I will say it again as long as he is Coach he is more of an existential threat to the Wariors than both global,warming and Chinese Global domination combined.
He is that bad.

George: Re-signed Kearney.His number one achievement at the Wariors.....that says all you need to know.

Iro: Him and his friend Kearney......two duds of a feather.

Stacey: The little general who didn't really have any long kicking game to speak of, more of an instinctive player but still a Wariors Legend whose recent input into the first grade team hasn't produced much on the field.Suggests to me that he probably doesn't have the smarts required of a top coach and by the look f him isn't the type of character to lead by example on the training runs either like Belamy,Maguire and Bennett are famous for.

Blair: Warriors worst ever signing.To clever for Wariors management and snagged himself a great deal.
Hakas like Te Rauparaha but plays like Kings Cross's Carmen. More fraudulent than Brian Tamaki but like him cunning enough to get away with it.

Until there is a total clean out of all the above this mob aren't going any where.
And I actually think time is running out with the fans,the general public and probably NRL management.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
I’m off to Aust this morning and was checking in next to Brian Smith. I said, “ you’re departing the Warriors’ and he replied, “ yes, doing it right now”.

I didn’t drill down any further.

Last edited:
Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You never know. Cameron George might be looking at this page as we speak/post/read and thinking "Now, there's an idea!"

But you're right. That would be a complete and total fuckup for both Stacey's mental wellbeing and the Warriors. The only person they can go with would appear to be Peyton. Not sure if there'd be any interest from anyone else.
I wondered myself whether they read this forum. Surely someone in the organisation would monitor this page to see the fans attitude and concerns.

Would love to see SK on this forum explaining some of the stupid decisions he has made so far.

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I’m off to Aust this morning and was checking in next to Brian Smith. I said, “ you’re departing the Warriors’ and he replied, “ yes, doing right now”.

I didn’t drill down any further.
Reckon he would have looked like he'd won lotto:)

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Hands up if you are a shit coach
Reaction score
I wondered myself whether they read this forum. Surely someone in the organisation would monitor this page to see the fans attitude and concerns.
They do. Plus journalists. Plus ex players and staff. Those that are known anyway. Plus theres a host of others who are connected to the club and scene in other ways. Even had a former coaches wife on here. Some post. Majority don't.

Reaction score
Tony Martin

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
They do. Plus journalists. Plus ex players and staff. Those that are known anyway. Plus theres a host of others who are connected to the club and scene in other ways. Even had a former coaches wife on here. Some post. Majority don't.
CG told me he comes on here regularly along with some of the players

Reaction score
bangbros18

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Would love to see SK on this forum explaining some of the stupid decisions he has made so far.
Kearney definitely looks in here, I e had a message from him before!

Reaction score
Sledge

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Perhaps. Morgan is an interesting choice. He put his name into the headcoach role at the Warriors previously. Maybe he sees a better pathway to that objective now with Kearney, Iro and Stacey there.

"While no one from the NZ Warriors would confirm this on Saturday, Stuff understands the 65-year-old Australian won't be at the NRL team any longer, with the club feeling they need to go in a new direction."
Sounds like a scapegoat.

"Smith came in during a period in the club's history when they were lacking top-level knowledge of how the NRL worked. But since his arrival in November 2017, there has been an influx of people with an understanding of the game."
Who are they talking about? Peter O'Sullivan is one person. I would think that Brian Smith had more league knowledge than the entire club's staff put together.
Must be Iro and Wiki, Lordy we are fucked.

Reaction score
Sledge

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Is Jonno Matt Elliott’s Wife?

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Him and the little round nugget George.

Would love to have them face the fans and be answerable for their constant mistakes and SKs clear lack of ability to put the fear of god into the players week in week out.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember there was an Anonymous account around about 2014 when Elliott walked, saying they were "on the inside" and implying certain things. Enough "Senior" members in here vouched for the validity of the account that in the end I took it at face value.

For myself, as a professional coach/official/player, I'd only get madly confused if I tried to glean the general view of a fan forum. It's not like we speak with one voice, is it? More like 200+ and a fair number of those change their tune at various times (hand up here). Be easier if you all agreed with me...

Reaction score
blue bells

blue bells

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy shit lads, i step away for a week and come back to this...talk about a lump of fucking coal in my stocking this xmas...what have we the fans done to deserve such fucking disastrous leadership in our beloved club...

Last edited:
Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
With hindsight, the fans night where Brian Smith spoke indicated all this was about to happen.

He wasn’t going to speak but felt he had to. He was very passionate about consistency of staff and all the mistakes the club has made in the past by chopping and changing. That would indicate to me that behind the scenes Robinson had made clear where he thought all the changes needed to be made.

Looking back, did he know jobs were about to be lost and was publicly putting his case forward for his one?

Reaction score
Navigator

Navigator

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I believe Eddie Jones might come cheap ;)
From what's in the new Zealand herald he wants to be a coach...... come on down Eddie, welcome to the warriors. We already have an ex wallabies trainer

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Top Bottom