General New Zealand Warriors general manager of football Brian Smith to leave club

Reaction score
Navigator

Navigator

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
New Zealand Warriors general manager of football Brian Smith to leave club

David Long05:00, Nov 03 2019
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Reddit
  • Email
  • Comments2

Brian Smith's time at the Warriors is coming to an end.

Getty Images
Brian Smith's time at the Warriors is coming to an end.
Warriors' general manager of football Brian Smith is leaving the club, with his exit expected to be confirmed this week.
While no one from the NZ Warriors would confirm this on Saturday, Stuff understands the 65-year-old Australian won't be at the NRL team any longer, with the club feeling they need to go in a new direction.
Smith came in during a period in the club's history when they were lacking top-level knowledge of how the NRL worked. But since his arrival in November 2017, there has been an influx of people with an understanding of the game.

It is not known why Smith has departed, but he recently did a lengthy interview with Stuff where he spoke about how excited he was about the new direction the club was going in with its player development.

Smith had come up with the idea of scrapping the club's under-20 team and replacing it with an SG Ball team instead.

The SG Ball is a New South Wales competition for under-18 players and Smith had convinced the Warriors board that the club would be better served with their recruitment and development by going down this path.
Smith had also done a complete overall of the football side of the club and had taken some of the administrative workload off head coach Stephen Kearney, to allow him to spend more time on improving the team.
Smith was also integral in getting recruitment genius Peter O'Sullivan at the Warriors.
It is believed Greg Boulous will step up to take care of some of the areas Smith was involved in.
But Smith isn't the only big name departure from Mt Smart Stadium.
Stuff understands Warriors reserve grade NSW Cup coach Nathan Cayless has switched to the Roosters. Cayless was only at the Warriors for one season, but had signed a two-year deal with the club.
Hie departure is due to him wanting to return to Sydney for family reasons.
The NSW Cup team will be coached by former Hull KR and Warriors first grade assistant coach, Justin Morgan, who had been assistant coach with the Warriors' women's team.
Alex Corvo has also left as high performance manager, with family reasons cited again. It is believed Corvo has been replaced by by Craig Twentyman, who had been working with the Wallabies.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Hands up if you are a shit coach
Reaction score
Reaction score
YeahNah 4020

YeahNah 4020

No go forward
Contributor
Reaction score
A professional club needs professional staff
A professional club will bring professional players
Professional players will create a professional environment for the young talent

It seems we were thinking this with POS Smith Corvo etc

Now 2 down 1 to go this doesn’t look good from the outside

However sadly this seems to me cost cutting and book balancing from the new owners which only works if you have a plan B ready to install

If SK goes do we have a professional package to sell to a better coach?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Clearing the football department salary cap for a big name coach to replace SK? I wonder who they have in mind - can't think of anyone of note that could jump in

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Reaction score
Clearing the football department salary cap for a big name coach to replace SK? I wonder who they have in mind - can't think of anyone of note that could jump in
Wishful thinking.

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
All leaving the sinking ship. Two people who had success at other clubs obviously can't cop this poor excuse for the club. Just when you think it can't get any worse!

Reaction score

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Brian Smith made it very clear at the members forum that he was not a ‘yes man’ and either the club would make the changes needed for success or he would walk. I think he has walked. I have been on the optimistic side about the club and SK but after this, unless I get a better explanation, I can’t do it anymore. We are fecked.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
So will Smith’s plans stay in place? Smith was a big advocate of continuity of staff as discussed at the members forum. Since then 3 key staff have gone with possibly more to go.

Hopefully a chance to get someone decent.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Reaction score
The Warriors. Where the off-season is more of a farce than performances during the season.

Zero fucking accountability.

Reaction score
Falcon

Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What an absolute shit show.
Would not surprise me one bit the if the owners mentality is “Hey it didn’t cost this much to run Pt Chev”.

Blimey what a bunch of amateurs.

Reaction score
bangbros18

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yep an off season with more leaving out the back door! Can see all the excuses already lined up for next seasons failures! Now all we need is peter osullivan to walk and I'll say go and get stuffed!

Reaction score
bangbros18

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Stacy jones will be head coach next season with tony iro as assistant! Fucken seriously he must have broken an nrl record with the most seasons as assistant!

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
That may be the case, who knows? However when I look at this crazy game agaisnt the Raiders I am more inclined to think these guys are saying fark this I am out of here.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
All these big names leaving and somehow the fucken muppet keeps his job! He must be suckimg someone's dick!
Was talking to an Aussie Eels fan at the test last night. Really nice guy. I asked him if they would like a coach back. He smiled wryly, and sort of sadly, and said I know exactly what you mean. He said the guy was a brilliant player but he cannot coach and the players don't seem to get on with him either. What can one say?

Also, if SK, George and Iro resigned who would give a flying fark?...but no ladies and jellybeans we have three of the most successful people in the game in their jobs leaving...and wait for it...there is more...Justin Morgan to coach the reserves!!!

Why did I buy a season ticket?

Top Bottom