Internationals New Zealand -v- Australia *SPOILER*

Jesbass_old

Maths was not one of your better subjects at school JB??

Apparently not. Turns out he took over one kick earlier, and got 2 from 3. My vision must have been impaired by my indifferent mood after we let the Aussies get away with a point.

Magic Stick_old

Other than Inglis...There's not alot there to be worried about with Australia.Lockyer is as washed up as u get

Both teams will get better. but i think we will wallop these guys in the final

Last edited by a moderator:

daj3_old

Ok, calling matai a passenger was a bit harsh. I just had a look at the stats and he was only 1 of 3 players to make over 100m. Fui Fui and Sau were the other two but Sau missed 8 tackles, more than anyone on the park. Matai also demolished his opposite centre Hodges in all stats, except for tackle breaks, Matai didn't break any tackles. I'd still prefer to see Inu in his spot though, I just feel he offers a lot more in attack with his offloads and his skill under the high ball.

Hey where did you get the stats from? I just checked nrlstats.com and their stats seem different. (e.g. they have Sau missing no tackles).

I think Hohaia played awesomely, but I still think he should be interchange hooker... perhaps more of a roving role, sharing dummy half duties with Fein. That muddle with Perrett fielding the high kick was unbecoming of a test fullback, and showed he still has a lot to improve on in that role. Well... actually I'm in two minds... I'd like to see Kearney try a reshuffle against the French, but if Hohaia is going to be first choice fullback (which looks to be the case), he needs all the game time there he can get.

2big2strong_old

Hey where did you get the stats from? I just checked nrlstats.com and their stats seem different. (e.g. they have Sau missing no tackles).

I think Hohaia played awesomely, but I still think he should be interchange hooker... perhaps more of a roving role, sharing dummy half duties with Fein. That muddle with Perrett fielding the high kick was unbecoming of a test fullback, and showed he still has a lot to improve on in that role. Well... actually I'm in two minds... I'd like to see Kearney try a reshuffle against the French, but if Hohaia is going to be first choice fullback (which looks to be the case), he needs all the game time there he can get.

I was on nrlstats.com too, I still had the page open and it said 8 missed tackles, after reading your post i refreshed the same page and all his missed tackles went away and everybodies metres gained dropped. Sau was on 110 metres, fui on 111 and Matai on 101. They obviously messed the stats up then corrected them or visa versa.

daj3_old

Just watched a replay, Inglis's pop pass to Smith for the final try definitely went back. Cam Smith's offload to Inglis might have been slightly forward, but I'm not gonna cry about it, it was a nice try.

When it comes down to it I think the only thing worth whinging about is the Kiwi's goalkicking. Luke kicks in the NRL more than Inu, but Inu would be kicking for Parramatta at this stage if it weren't for Luke Burt. And Benji Marshall is the West Tigers no. 1 kicker... why is he not kicking? Sad reflection on the experience of the squad I guess, he can't afford to miss the team talk after his team score a try.

romel_old

all praise has to go to kearney for picking and beliving in these young blokes.

Our forwards are bloody awesome they tottaly dominated the aussie pack.Blair is becomming a legend and a leader, along with issacs work load and JWH domination is it exactly what has been missing in the kiwis forward pack. a MUNGREL.

We were really missing Manus kick returns that extra 10metres he gives us at the start of every set was missed.

sau and perret were awesome, lance is still trying to find his form again no thanks to the warriors suffling him here,there,and everwhere.Most of the time on the bench. he did really well to find his feet again.

Soliola credit has to be given to this guy he just does the right things at the right times he really steps up for us kiwis he saved a few trys.

only changes i would make is swap kevin locke for Bryson Goodwin, Inu for Matai. and bring in Ben Matulino for Jeff Lima. and maybe swap Kieran Foran for Thomas Leuluai.

other than that best kiwi team ive seen ever.

we had that game it was our game to be won just our own silly mistakes let the aussies back into the game. 4 tries to 3 we won.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spence_old

I'd just like to heap a whole load of praise onto Fien. One of the best games I have seen him play. Also, Soliola would be my pick of the forwards. I would have picked Blair, but he did too many ridiculous things, offloads/penalties, etc.

Viking_old

Which are the two tries that everybody seems to be harping on about as coming off forward passes? I'm assuming one is the pass to Inglis after what looked a three man strip by us that ended in a try in the corner to...someone...Morris?

Which was the other one?

Are those who have stated this all Aussie-based? Because the Kiwi broadcast barely commented on it. In fact, the only person who commented on it was Logan Swann at half time.

The only really bad blunder was the Gallen/Luke incident, and he was going off incorrect advice from the touch judge. He made a few poor calls, but was far from shocking, especially considering some of the NRL refereeing efforts we've seen in recent years.

The reverse flick offload from Inglis that Morris scored the first try off went forward for sure but I doubt the touchie could've kept up so he would've been viewing it from an acute angle. Ganson wouldn't have known about either and so didn't ask the video ref to rule on it. It's just one of those things which would be solved if the video ref could inform the referee when he's missed a glaring mistake. More video ref intervention wouldn't be good for the game in general but when a test is this tight, it could potentially be the winning and losing the tournament.

Viking_old

Lance is too casual at fullback and nothing demonstrates that better than Thurston's strip for the try. But when the Kiwi's have the scrum feed 5 metres off Australia's line, he's impossible to stop. If he'd played interchange hooker today, the Kiwis would've lost.