General New Zealand Politics

If there was an election today, who would you vote for?

• National

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Greens

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • NZ First

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Act

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • New Conservative Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • None of then

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters
Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
This is planning at a National level whereas iwi are locally focused. I would counter that the decision needs to be made for all NZers based on what’s best nationally based in a national strategic plan for transport.

Yes, there should be input and consultation with iwi but when it holds things up for years, the poor inefficiency of our infrastructure causes all Maori to suffer through higher pricing.

The port is governed by a private company doing a private business of national importance. It is completely outside of crown or Maori ownership. Why should it be operating under co-governance? If iwi want a say, buy shares with their settlement money.

An efficient port operation that delivers value through lower pricing to everyday Maori, requires international expertise rather than locals wanting to play monopoly with businesses they don’t have any experience in.
Because the foreshore & seabed belong to Iwi. Granted to them under article 2 of the treaty.

I agree that ports and shipping is a matter of national importance and should be sorted at a national level. The problem we have is that the treaty settlements are only partially completed, and some of them include clauses that can lead to them being re-opened post other settlements occurring.

This is why I'd vote for whichever party prioritises settling the treaty for all time. We can't just keep putting things off and wait. It's holding us back as a country.

defensivebomb

defensivebomb

I'd counter argue that a port activity is well within Iwi's remit to challenge. Arguably, ports should be operating under co-governance given the wording of the treaty. And this applies whether or not the relevant Iwi has accepted settlement under the Treaty.
The key word being “arguably”

Reactions: Jay M
Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
The key word being “arguably”
Precisely. And that's why we need the treaty settled for once and for all.

Maori, and justifiably so in my opinion, have a very real claim to all oceans, rivers, lakes etc in NZ. The law passed in 04 gave ownership to the Crown but it was contentious and hasn't been resolved. What was weirdest about it was Labour voted for it, but ACT voted against it on the grounds of it being a denial of property rights.

The way courts and lawmakers are interpretting things these days, especially given the fact Australian law can be claimed as precedent, it wouldn't surprise me to see it get overturned in the future.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong - just that there are differing views and until the treaty (and final settlements down) is sorted for good - it's always going to be difficult to resolve and move forward.

Reactions: Inruin and Akkerz
Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Don't Warri Be Happy
Contributor

Maori, and justifiably so in my opinion, have a very real claim to all oceans, rivers, lakes etc in NZ. The law passed in 04 gave ownership to the Crown but it was contentious and hasn't been resolved. What was weirdest about it was Labour voted for it, but ACT voted against it on the grounds of it being a denial of property rights.

The way courts and lawmakers are interpretting things these days, especially given the fact Australian law can be claimed as precedent, it wouldn't surprise me to see it get overturned in the future.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong - just that there are differing views and until the treaty (and final settlements down) is sorted for good - it's always going to be difficult to resolve and move forward.
In 50 years time and with the benefit of hindsight lecturers will be telling the young why race based ownership was such a crazy idea.

the borg

are you talking from suppliers or from the supermarkets or both?
Pretty much across the board really .. not in any one sector. I have looked it up and most economists tend arrive at the same conclusion thats its too complicated to break down. However they definitely do not rule out corporates taking full advantage in such situations...

john nick

john nick

Pretty much across the board really .. not in any one sector. I have looked it up and most economists tend arrive at the same conclusion thats its too complicated to break down. However they definitely do not rule out corporates taking full advantage in such situations...
True. Not so long ago it was covid pushing up prices.
Just another excuse

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Honestly there is a mix of both. Real cost increases to doing business and taking advantage to increase margin. The vast majority in the last 6 months would be legitimate in my opinion. If my business I work for didn't take price rises we would be back quite a few million in profit. The thing is that some of the cost increases we have seen may come back over time to being closer to previous levels. Cost of shipping a container for example went through the roof and I think have now come back to previous levels and in some cases cheaper. Where there is competition in the marketplace a price correction on products will eventually take place.

Dixpat

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
So New Zealand's inflation rate has remained the same.... while Australia, America, Canada, UK, France, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Japan and China have all dropped.

Wonder how Hipkin's is going to get it down quickly before the election? And why he didn't share his strategy for doing so with the former PM?
Announced today

The annual inflation rate in Australia climbed to 7.8% in Q4 of 2022 from 7.3% in Q3, above market forecasts of 7.5%.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
More importantly what is Luxon intending to do. I may have missed something but all I am hearing from him is criticism of the government.
If he wants my vote he needs to be more precise.
He hasnt needed to so far. Best strategy was to allow Labour to continue falling apart at the seams and just stay well away. Any option looks better to live in than a burning house.

Thats obviously changed now so its going to be very interesting seeing their policies and having him explain, justify, fund and defend them.

He seems like he isnt really ready for the media scrutiny but no amount of training will get him up to speed now. Just going to have to get in there. Key wasn't really ready too but he was honest and measured in his responses and that resonated with the average person. Luxton would do well to follow that lead and not let the media pretend everything he says has offended an imaginary group of oppressed souls...

john nick

john nick

He hasnt needed to so far. Best strategy was to allow Labour to continue falling apart at the seams and just stay well away. Any option looks better to live in than a burning house.

Thats obviously changed now so its going to be very interesting seeing their policies and having him explain, justify, fund and defend them.

He seems like he isnt really ready for the media scrutiny but no amount of training will get him up to speed now. Just going to have to get in there. Key wasn't really ready too but he was honest and measured in his responses and that resonated with the average person. Luxton would do well to follow that lead and not let the media pretend everything he says has offended an imaginary group of oppressed souls...
As I said before he gets my vote he will need to convince me with facts and not just fluff we have been given

NZDoug

Chipkins would have a winner if he takes my advice.
Don't increase the fuel tax because rhey govt must be making heaps off thee new inflated costs of living, like food.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Chipkins would have a winner if he takes my advice.
Don't increase the fuel tax because rhey govt must be making heaps off thee new inflated costs of living, like food.
New Zealand's non-tradeable (domestic) inflation rate was higher than the international factor.

Hopefully the domestic inflation is just lagging the international and we’ve started to turn the corner. Many countries have started heading lower again (except Australia which has lagged the whole way through).

Domestic inflation is very much within the governments control. And yet they will leave it up to the reserve bank to continue overcooking interest rates and crushing the economy.

Miket12

Miket12

New Zealand's non-tradeable (domestic) inflation rate was higher than the international factor.

Hopefully the domestic inflation is just lagging the international and we’ve started to turn the corner. Many countries have started heading lower again (except Australia which has lagged the whole way through).

Domestic inflation is very much within the governments control. And yet they will leave it up to the reserve bank to continue overcooking interest rates and crushing the economy.
Hipkins has the ideas on how to stop inflation..... he just didn't think it was worth sharing them with the previous PM.

Hipkins knows how bad 3-4-5 Waters is.... he just didn't think it was worth sharing them with the previous PM.

Hipkins knows how bad the merger of RNZ and TVNZ is.... he just didn't think it was worth sharing them with the PM.

Hipkins knows the immigration settings are wrong.... he just didn't think it was worth sharing it with the Immigration Minister or the previous PM.

Hipkins knows how to deal with Youth Crime..... he just didn't bother implementing them as Police Minister.

Hipkins knows how to improve Education outcomes..... he just didn't bother implementing them as Education Minister.

Hipkins knows that there needs to be cutbacks in Government and Public Services..... he just didn't bother implementing them as Public Service Minister.

Hipkins has spent the last five years blaming problems on the previous National government and now it's time to lay them at the feet of the previous PM.

Question: if Ardern was responsible for so many things during her time as PM, why didn't Hipkins (and the other ministers and MP's) roll her?

wizards rage

wizards rage

Hipkins has the ideas on how to stop inflation..... he just didn't think it was worth sharing them with the previous PM.

Hipkins knows how bad 3-4-5 Waters is.... he just didn't think it was worth sharing them with the previous PM.

Hipkins knows how bad the merger of RNZ and TVNZ is.... he just didn't think it was worth sharing them with the PM.

Hipkins knows the immigration settings are wrong.... he just didn't think it was worth sharing it with the Immigration Minister or the previous PM.

Hipkins knows how to deal with Youth Crime..... he just didn't bother implementing them as Police Minister.

Hipkins knows how to improve Education outcomes..... he just didn't bother implementing them as Education Minister.

Hipkins knows that there needs to be cutbacks in Government and Public Services..... he just didn't bother implementing them as Public Service Minister.

Hipkins has spent the last five years blaming problems on the previous National government and now it's time to lay them at the feet of the previous PM.

Question: if Ardern was responsible for so many things during her time as PM, why didn't Hipkins (and the other ministers and MP's) roll her?
Harsh mate,

You missed out that when anything goes wrong is the teams fault, not the individual!

Reactions: Worried2Death
defensivebomb

defensivebomb

this is good. There should be billboards of this all over the country

defensivebomb

defensivebomb

I. along with a lot of people, feel this way. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is achievable. John Key tried to

There is an industry around (re)interpreting the treaty, and I think this will always exist while there are people that feel aggrieved and differing life outcomes between Maori & non-Maori (I can't stand the term Pakeha. As a non-white NZer, I associate the term Pakeha with white skin)