General New Zealand Politics

If there was an election today, who would you vote for?

• National

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Labour

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Greens

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • NZ First

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Act

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • New Conservative Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • None of then

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Mr Brownstone

IMO the previous guy was positioned there to break the unions.
Any take on this
Not sure of the original reason for getting the job, he was ex P&O & knew the shipping industry very well. In my opinion his biggest mistake was trying to empire build at POA & take market share from Tauranga with no regard for return on capital. The Kotahi deal totally stuffed things up for his strategy and he got bitter. He wasn’t a bad bloke but geez his legacy ain’t good.

Reactions: bruce and dean
john nick

john nick

Not sure of the original reason for getting the job, he was ex P&O & knew the shipping industry very well. In my opinion his biggest mistake was trying to empire build at POA & take market share from Tauranga with no regard for return on capital. The Kotahi deal totally stuffed things up for his strategy and he got bitter. He wasn’t a bad bloke but geez his legacy ain’t good.
After P&O he was with Maersk.
The then Union guy and him had huge egos and continued to butt heads.
The usual result was the only benefits were those mitigating lawyers.
Cost both parties shitloads and I mean shitloads.
You wouldn't believe me if I told you about one particular party. 😏

bruce

bruce

Contributor
That is the boards fault. They are to set broad goals, he can offer goals, but he should not be empire building.

Reactions: wizards rage
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Traditionally, those spirits will calm down with a healthy stipend paid to their iwi.
Those Iwi have all been fucked over royally once (somewhat of a pun as it was all done under the auspices of the Crown). No way they allow that to happen again without getting their proper piece and consultation. The days of colonial acquisition are well gone...

dean

Those Iwi have all been fucked over royally once (somewhat of a pun as it was all done under the auspices of the Crown). No way they allow that to happen again without getting their proper piece and consultation. The days of colonial acquisition are well gone...
The same Iwi have been compensated. Nothing to do with colonial acquisition, it's not about land. It's about being able to hold up a process, based on cultural and spiritual stories and demanding payment before supporting the process.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Economic productivity growth of heavy and civil engineering only increased 5% between 2000 and 2020. This compares to economy-wide productivity growth of 30%.

Civil construction is concerning as it represents about 80% of the cost of building and maintaining New Zealand’s infrastructure networks. This is everything from power and water connections to transport and telecommunications.

“Our estimate is that, if civil construction had matched building construction for productivity growth over the last 20 years, our infrastructure construction prices would be about 10% lower, workforce requirements would be about 11% lower, and we’d be building 5% more infrastructure than we do now.”

5% could be huge in regards to extra roading, hospitals and school every year for the past 20 years…

Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
The same Iwi have been compensated. Nothing to do with colonial acquisition, it's not about land. It's about being able to hold up a process, based on cultural and spiritual stories and demanding payment before supporting the process.
I'd counter argue that a port activity is well within Iwi's remit to challenge. Arguably, ports should be operating under co-governance given the wording of the treaty. And this applies whether or not the relevant Iwi has accepted settlement under the Treaty.

Reactions: mt.wellington
wizards rage

wizards rage

I'd counter argue that a port activity is well within Iwi's remit to challenge. Arguably, ports should be operating under co-governance given the wording of the treaty. And this applies whether or not the relevant Iwi has accepted settlement under the Treaty.
This is planning at a National level whereas iwi are locally focused. I would counter that the decision needs to be made for all NZers based on what’s best nationally based in a national strategic plan for transport.

Yes, there should be input and consultation with iwi but when it holds things up for years, the poor inefficiency of our infrastructure causes all Maori to suffer through higher pricing.

The port is governed by a private company doing a private business of national importance. It is completely outside of crown or Maori ownership. Why should it be operating under co-governance? If iwi want a say, buy shares with their settlement money.

An efficient port operation that delivers value through lower pricing to everyday Maori, requires international expertise rather than locals wanting to play monopoly with businesses they don’t have any experience in.

Miket12

Miket12

The guy is embarrassingly hypocritical - campaigns on cutting council spending and salaries = in office pays his staff some tremendous sums. Also triples outside legal advice...
Wayne Brown "cares" so much for the people who voted for him that he's only done two media interviews since becoming mayor despite over 100 media requests for an interview. Can't see him lasting more than three years..... but shows how poor the candidates were since he was the one elected.

Think on this..... it will take a person 15 years on the average wage to earn what he will over the next three years.

• Sad
Reactions: Juju and dean
wizards rage

wizards rage

Wayne Brown "cares" so much for the people who voted for him that he's only done two media interviews since becoming mayor despite over 100 media requests for an interview. Can't see him lasting more than three years..... but shows how poor the candidates were since he was the one elected.

Think on this..... it will take a person 15 years on the average wage to earn what he will over the next three years.
I think he has no intention of standing in 3 years.

I also think he’s a front for a group of people (those high paid consultants in his office) that are actually running Auckland and getting things done. I think he’s actually semi-retired and just overseeing his team.

End of the day, as we’ve seen with Jacinda, public relations mean nothing and it’s whats delivered and changed over his 3 years that will ‘fix’ Auckland

Reactions: dean and Inruin
Miket12

Miket12

So New Zealand's inflation rate has remained the same.... while Australia, America, Canada, UK, France, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Japan and China have all dropped.

Wonder how Hipkin's is going to get it down quickly before the election? And why he didn't share his strategy for doing so with the former PM?

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
So New Zealand's inflation rate has remained the same.... while Australia, America, Canada, UK, France, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Japan and China have all dropped.

Wonder how Hipkin's is going to get it down quickly before the election? And why he didn't share his strategy for doing so with the former PM?
more food price rises hitting at the end of this month for a number of companies too

Reactions: wizards rage
Dixpat

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor

Not sure you have your facts correct here

Have only checked Australia

The annual inflation rate in Australia climbed to 7.3% in Q3 of 2022 from 6.1% in Q2, above market forecasts of 7.0%. This was the highest print since Q2 1990​

Their inflation figure for Q4 is to be announced this afternoon and is forecast to rise

john nick

john nick

More importantly what is Luxon intending to do. I may have missed something but all I am hearing from him is criticism of the government.
If he wants my vote he needs to be more precise.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Thing is how much of that is really price gouging but using the flag of inflation? In other words where's the boundary between the 2?
And how much is catch up after huge minimum wage increase; extra public holidays; lowering road speeds increasing transport costs; extra 5 days sick leave; extra fuel taxes; extra compliance costs and red tape, etc.

Reactions: marv and Akkerz