General New Zealand Politics

If there was an election today, who would you vote for?

• National

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Labour

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Act

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • New Conservative Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • None of then

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Yes it does. Our right to protest is protected under the bill of rights.

FFS… yesterday I am standing up for Djokovic who is a idiot. Today I’m standing up for the destiny church when I think they are corrosive. I don’t care who it is or the flak I get… rights are rights.

Can the government pick on someone popular who I can support!
You have a right to protest. That doesn't mean you have a right to protest by walking down a road that is for traffic. Equally I don't have a right to enter your house and sit in your arm chair protesting.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
What is Jacinda thinking staging an elaborate celebrity wedding at a billionaire's exclusive resort, not a good look when half her voters are in poverty. A necessity for security I suppose, but v bad optics, what does she think she is, royal?

Reactions: Akkerz and bruce

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland

What the fuck is this country coming to? Gee, there are some real dropkicks around who obviously think this sort of thing is a good idea. Regardless of any intent to follow through or not, this is garbage. No political party leader or representative should have to put up with this shit.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

What the fuck is this country coming to? Gee, there are some real dropkicks around who obviously think this sort of thing is a good idea. Regardless of any intent to follow through or not, this is garbage. No political party leader or representative should have to put up with this shit.
Blame in no particular order Rupert Murdoch, Facebook organised trolls.

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
You have a right to protest. That doesn't mean you have a right to protest by walking down a road that is for traffic. Equally I don't have a right to enter your house and sit in your arm chair protesting.
1 - the cyclings closed a couple of lanes of the harbour bridge - they walked and cycle down a road for traffic. How much did they get charged? Actually, they were rewarded with the announcement of a $700m cycle bridge (despite it being withdrawn later)

2 - private property is different and I don’t think anyone supports protest there… except it worked at ihumatoe and the PM refused to kick them off.

Reactions: bruce

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
1 - the cyclings closed a couple of lanes of the harbour bridge - they walked and cycle down a road for traffic. How much did they get charged? Actually, they were rewarded with the announcement of a $700m cycle bridge (despite it being withdrawn later)

2 - private property is different and I don’t think anyone supports protest there… except it worked at ihumatoe and the PM refused to kick them off.
So, their right to protest has not been stopped. Break the law or incur expense to the council or government and don't be surprised there are consequences.

In my opinion this has been too long coming. It's not a free for all, do what you like.

It's the same as free speech. Say what you like but their are consequences, including the potential of losing your job....

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
So, their right to protest has not been stopped. Break the law or incur expense to the council or government and don't be surprised there are consequences.

In my opinion this has been too long coming. It's not a free for all, do what you like.

It's the same as free speech. Say what you like but their are consequences, including the potential of losing your job....
It’s open to claims of corruption if ALL protestors are not charged full cost. Have all organisers been charged?

So a rich organisation can protest for what they want. A poor person is effectively silenced. Not very democratic…

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
It’s open to claims of corruption if ALL protestors are not charged full cost. Have all organisers been charged?

So a rich organisation can protest for what they want. A poor person is effectively silenced. Not very democratic…
You can still protest. Nothing is stopping anyone from protesting legally and peacefully. If you are stopping traffic or infringing in other ways then I have no problem with what ever charges or fines get laid.

No issues here. Should have been enforced long ago and more frequently.

Far too soft in most instances which leads to examples like this. Destiny church and gangs thinking they can do as they please.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
gREVUS gREVUS posted in the Prince Andrew thread about a book of bribes. It reminded me of when I was a junior designer at a division of one of NZ’s largest building companies. It was back in the day when each council ward office would process building consents and it could take up to six months to get a building consent issued for new houses.

Every six months, a door which was usually locked to the building inspectors locker room would be unlocked so I could sneak into there to leave a bottle of whiskey in the locker of one particular inspector who would make sure our projects would get through processing faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce and gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
gREVUS gREVUS posted in the Prince Andrew thread about a book of bribes. It reminded me on when I was a junior designer at a division of one of NZ’s largest building companies. It was back in the day when each council ward office would process building consents and it could take up to six months to get a building consent issued for new houses.

Every six months, a door which was usually locked to the building inspectors locker room would be unlocked so I could sneak into there to leave a bottle of whiskey in the locker of one particular inspector who would make sure our projects would get through processing faster.
Just as I was leaving NZ, the manuka council reversed its decision on a subdivision of my property. The wife was already in Aus with the kid, house was packed up. I couldnt decide to sue, or bribe. I was heading to bribe first, then sue, just needed to work out the who. But then the GFC hit and we ended up walking away with a massive loss anyway. Lesson learnt is always sell then move

Reactions: Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Just as I was leaving NZ, the manuka council reversed its decision on a subdivision of my property. The wife was already in Aus with the kid, house was packed up. I couldnt decide to sue, or bribe. I was heading to bribe first, then sue, just needed to work out the who. But then the GFC hit and we ended up walking away with a massive loss anyway. Lesson learnt is always sell then move
I had an Asian client who got absolutely peeved of with the time Manukau were taking to issue a resource consent (they couldn’t work out whether to issue three consents or one combined consent) that he decided to take matters into his own hands.

He went to the bank and took out over ten thousand in cash. He walked into the council building and went up to the teller. Slamming the bank onto her desk, he said in a loud voice, “who do I need to bribe around here to get my consent issued”. Two hours later, he was back there using the money to pay for the consent that was suddenly ready to be issued.

Not the recommended way to get them to do their job, but, in this case, it worked!

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings