General New Zealand Politics

If there was an election today, who would you vote for?

• National

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • NZ First

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Act

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • New Conservative Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • None of then

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Luxon's evangelical church he hasn't been too in 7 years deleted all their fringe conspiracy sermons the evening before he announced he was running for Botany.

Really? Wow. I don't think he is fit to be leader after finding that out. 🙄

At least the church is focused on the community and has creditable missionary work.

Reactions: wizards rage

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012

At least the church is focused on the community and has creditable missionary work.
A church leader who
" tells his congregation that Thunberg has an "eco-coach" funded by Soros. This is a straight-up conspiracy theory originally aired on the website Europe Reloaded, which rails against "globalists" and the climate change "hoax". Fact-checkers have found this theory wanting"

Seems like a pretty regular church of faith...

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
A church leader who
" tells his congregation that Thunberg has an "eco-coach" funded by Soros. This is a straight-up conspiracy theory originally aired on the website Europe Reloaded, which rails against "globalists" and the climate change "hoax". Fact-checkers have found this theory wanting"

Seems like a pretty regular church of faith...
And again, wow.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
You can't think Anti Vaxxers are weird for having those views...
And then not think its odd a political leader attended a church that has that sort of content in their sermons.
Funny you should mention anti vaxxers because you are coming across like one currently.

You seem to be putting a great deal of scrutiny on this guy who really hasn't done anything yet.

I'm more concerned about the actual leader of the country who has promised so much and delivered very little. Has been caught out so many times misleading the country. But that's ok. She isn't religious anymore and is in Labour so all good I guess.

I get the feeling that even if Luxon ended up being the actual second coming of Christ you would be bringing up the fact he once turned water in to wine and is that really the person you want leading given the binge drinking culture in NZ?

I think if you look a bit harder you might find he has links to Blackrock too

Last edited:

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
Funny you should mention anti vaxxers because you are coming across like one currently.

You seem to be putting a great deal of scrutiny on this guy who really hasn't done anything yet.

I'm more concerned about the actual leader of the country who has promised so much and delivered very little. Has been caught out so many times misleading the country. But that's ok. She isn't religious anymore and is in Labour so all good I guess.

I get the feeling that even if Luxon ended up being the actual second coming of Christ you would be bringing up the fact he once turned water in to wine and is that really the person you want leading given the binge drinking culture in NZ?

I've already said he is an improvement over other National leaders and will probably be a good thing for the country.

I was demonstrating why his fundamental roots were being examined by the media & the voting public.
That scrutiny is fair enough considering the fringe aspect of that side of Christianity.

Reactions: Rizzah

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga

Alternatively you seem to be throwing a lot of defence around a guy who in your words hasn't done much yet.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
I see that NZ is bringing in new universal housing density laws. I’m curious:
1. Is this popular?
2. Has anyone of note suggested that, rather than having a greater supply of smaller dwellings via density, there should be fewer people via lower immigration? If so is that popular?

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
1. Is this popular?
2. Has anyone of note suggested that, rather than having a greater supply of smaller dwellings via density, there should be fewer people via lower immigration? If so is that popular?
1 - non event from everyone I’ve talked to. More focused on the here, now and Covid. We are already seeing mass building of small dense developments so it’s not new, it will just be easier and more common. Only complaints seems to be a few NIMBYs in the older ‘leafy’ suburbs.

2 - There has never been a real debate on immigration, although the majority seem to be anti it. I remember in the past it’s been said our population (economy) was to small and lacked scale and there was talk of 10m being better. I just see a doubled population making everyone half as well off. We don’t have (or want to exploit) the natural resources and environment to double our economy/ housing/ infrastructure.

Reactions: Akkerz and Fonzie

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
1 - non event from everyone I’ve talked to. More focused on the here, now and Covid. We are already seeing mass building of small dense developments so it’s not new, it will just be easier and more common. Only complaints seems to be a few NIMBYs in the older ‘leafy’ suburbs.

2 - There has never been a real debate on immigration, although the majority seem to be anti it. I remember in the past it’s been said our population (economy) was to small and lacked scale and there was talk of 10m being better. I just see a doubled population making everyone half as well off. We don’t have (or want to exploit) the natural resources and environment to double our economy/ housing/ infrastructure.
Thanks for the reply. I’m surprised at the ease with which Auckland (and Sydney) has surrendered the ‘backyard’ lifestyle

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Thanks for the reply. I’m surprised at the ease with which Auckland (and Sydney) has surrendered the ‘backyard’ lifestyle
I left Auckland as it changed so much - traffic, culture, lifestyle, etc.

To be honest, life is changing though. When I was a kid I was outside in the trampoline. Now the kids are inside on the iPad.

Reactions: Akkerz and Fonzie

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
1. Is this popular?
1. It is a double-edged sword. People love the fact that their biggest asset is more valuable. Yay we are all now richer on paper. But we don’t want an apartment next door, or 3x 3 storey townhouses looking over us, with the demographics that change with greater density and cheaper dwellings.

My view is that the changes were rushed in and NZ doesn’t have enough design controls to focus on quality. We learned our lessons from cheap eyesore apartment buildings in the early 2000s and don’t do them anymore and now instead do cheap eyesore terraced houses. Also, until infrastructure improves outside of the established suburbs, new houses will continue to be subdivisions in those suburbs, rather than farther afield. The council needs to stump up with infrastructure spend but can’t, as it is cash strapped. So suburb density it is. Pay higher rates or get denser suburbs. But on the flip side we have property that is (supposedly) more valuable if we want to move out or retire.

2. Labour originally campaigned for lower immigration in 2017, which was to help with keeping a lid on house prices. They quickly learned that with a growing economy, we had a shortage of builders and need immigration to fuel all the houses that needed to be built for kiwis priced out of the market. So they relaxed immigration a bit. Then along came covid, halting immigration, and interest rates were dropped to stimulate the economy. The interest rates poured fuel all over the single asset class that kiwis love - property. Add to that the shortage of building products (caused by covid shipping impacts), massive inflation, returning cashed up kiwis needing a house (but not selling one in return) and we have a recipe for a housing disaster.

Long story short - Labour didn’t really understand the intricacies of economic levers when they promised to lower immigration and dealing with covid has added additional challenges

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

I don't mind a guy having a religion...but it sounds like a cult. Key is a weird guy, and he is Key's mate...go fgure.