General New Zealand Politics

If there was an election today, who would you vote for?

• National

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Labour

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • NZ First

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Act

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • New Conservative Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • None of then

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I think if they had rolled Goodfellow, attracted some new blood and Chris Luxon took over the leadership 12 months out from the election, they may have had a chance.
It’s a bit like the Warriors where a rebuilt takes the length of players contracts - except politicians are harder to dump.

It will be a long process. Priority is Goodfellow but most important is talented new blood next election then it’s probably 3 years after that that they start to have the experience and you can bring in Luxon. I can see Bridges as a place holder again.

Problem is if they keep imploding and ACT out perform them, they won’t get enough seats to bring in much new blood.

Reactions: dean and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
That is a real split in the party, staunch followers had a gutsful. This would have been the last resort, can't do it internally. How Collins can associate with Slater and think it wont be seen as negative by supporters is crazy as well.
Confucious says lay with dog catch fleas

Reactions: Dave Brough

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Reports of a clash between Bridges and a youth party member by link over conversion therapy suggests that there’s multiple beliefs among issues in the party.
Heyzeuss...that is farking sick. I knew he was a god botherer but WTF :wtf:

Reactions: Noitall

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
They missed the chance to turn things around by not voting out Goodfellow.
and replace him with?

I dunno who would want the job. You have to be a political slime ball, live in Wellington, and be prepared to work for nix. Narrows the field a bit:rolleyes:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
It’s a bit like the Warriors where a rebuilt takes the length of players contracts - except politicians are harder to dump.

It will be a long process. Priority is Goodfellow but most important is talented new blood next election then it’s probably 3 years after that that they start to have the experience and you can bring in Luxon. I can see Bridges as a place holder again.

Problem is if they keep imploding and ACT out perform them, they won’t get enough seats to bring in much new blood.
It is a trend worldwide. Like my good mate who became an MP said to me, why did I do this, there is no money in it, and you have to work with the most ordinary people...polite word for dropkicks.

Reactions: Dave Brough

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Why did John Key do the bolt? Always found that puzzling
His heart wasn’t in it after the all those years. He wasn’t a career politician that wanted power at all costs.

The motivation wasn’t there anymore and he knew it.

I met him at a grand opening after the political summer break once and he was struggling to get back into it after Hawaii…

Politics can be a grind.

Reactions: Inruin and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Why did John Key do the bolt?
A good question to which I can only guess.

He left Elders Finance in 1987 after being a senior forex dealer. Shortly afterwards it transpired the company had borrowed a large amount, possibly swiss francs which after the economic collapse of 1987 turned into an expensive loss.

The manager of the company got the blame, and the sack, and was personally gutted because he believed it wasn't his fault. His health suffered greatly from the stress. He died prematurely.

Later on Labour tried to link Key to another scandal at Elders, involving Equiticorp which didn't entirely stick, but there are still questions in the minds of some. I didn't know too much about that, but the francs issue I did.

Save to say Key always had a knack of knowing when to move on. He was apparently successful at forex trading which takes the skill of a cool trading brain e.g a used car dealer, or so I have been told.

Forex dealers were renowned for living the high life, with all that entailed. He had married his childhood sweetheart so didn't take part in any of that, of course, which he attributed to him being able to put money away, yeah right.

Without doubt he has a non stop calculating brain, working the logical odds.

IMO he either could see the writing on the wall, which I have doubts about because Labour were a mess.

Or as some suspect that something else was in play, maybe his wife realized they had enough money for the rest of their lives so he could stay home on the porch.

Who knows?...but he did leave suddenly and without warning...right from his time at Elders Finance

Personally I think he was a strange fecker. Why? Because playing with a waitresses pony tail in a restaurant. is an unacceptable fetish IMO and I am sure his missus agreed.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Goodfellow has lived in Orakei for the majority of the time he has held this position.

Was unaware Orakei was in Wellington
Well he needed to be in Wellington. If I recall Slater lived in the rich suburbs of Auckland as well.

Last edited: