Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

Woofa

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 25, 2013
Auckland

What a piece of shit, criticising a guy with a history of mental problems.

Paula Benefit campaigns hard against Muller with Bridges.. prob uses any dirty tactic possible, Muller wins.. says sorry love no place for you in my administration.. she cries fowl.. ummmm what do you think would happen? Always poor me bullshit any chance to make myself feel better. Get a grip.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
I'm all for holding the govt to account. But I think that Andrea Vance article is pretty lazy.
She's making some heavy statements about the govt lacking transparency/thin-skinned with little to no actual data.
I've got to come to a conclusion about the Govt being obstructionist based purely on Vance's experiences.
Not trashing her own experience, it may well be as she says, but how is the process doing overall - the big picture?
This year, I have made more complaints to the Ombudsman than in any previous year. So far, every one has been upheld.
How many complaints has she made to the ombudsman (historic and this year)? How many requests has she made? Which departments was she requesting the info from?
There is no actual stats in the article, like overall OIA requests (total) made and how many/percentage are answered on time etc overall.

Writing about Mahuta for not fronting is fine, but she is one minister. Dealing with some heavy reforms and portfolios at the minute.

Opinion pieces feel lazy when they come from an actual journo. Dig out the story, with facts/stats to back you up - otherwise it feels like you are pushing an agenda.

Last edited:

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
I'm all for holding the govt to account. But I think that Andrea Vance article is pretty lazy.
She's making some heavy statements about the govt lacking transparency/thin-skinned with little to no actual data.
I've got to come to a conclusion about the Govt being obstructionist based purely on Vance's experiences.
Not trashing her own experience, it may well be as she says, but how is the process doing overall - the big picture?

How many complaints has she made to the ombudsman (historic and this year)? How many requests has she made? Which departments was she requesting the info from?
There is no actual stats in the article, like overall OIA requests (total) made and how many/percentage are answered on time etc overall.

Writing about Mahuta for not fronting is fine, but she is one minister. Dealing with some heavy reforms and portfolios at the minute.

Opinion pieces feel lazy when they come from an actual journo. Dig out the story, with facts/stats to back you up - otherwise it feels like you are pushing an agenda.
I read an article and one department had 37,000 OIA requests in a year and there were just over 100 complaints to the ombudsman. So the govts strike rate is pretty freaking good when it comes to this.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
From Bernard Hickey today:
Also, the Climate Commission is recommending a 42% cut in climate emissions by 2035, which was 6% more than it proposed in January. It proposed a ban on petrol and diesel imports by 2035 and having half of all vehicle imports be EVs and hybrids by 2029. It sees cow and sheep numbers falling 13.6% by 2030. However, it sees these moves only cutting GDP by 0.5% by 2035, although it argues doing nothing would carve twice as much off GDP.

My view? Both bits of news highlight the political pain of trying to change the status quo and the problems the Government will have trying to achieve two of its big aims: carbon zero by 2050 and reducing the now-heavy use of temporary migrant workers in tourism, hospitality and agriculture.

The bottom line: Going cold turkey on a low-wage small-business-dominated economy where the main business investment is a double-cab ute is hard, especially when you haven’t (and won’t) change the tax settings for investing in productivity-enhancing equipment and business structures, rather than leveraged land. The PM’s decision to rule out a Capital Gains Tax or wealth tax makes that big switch impossible any time this decade.

A tricked-out double-cab ute and two luxury SUVs parked outside a restaurant on Jervois Rd in Auckland’s Herne Bay. Photo: The Kaka.

Reactions: wizards rage

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Also, the Climate Commission is recommending a 42% cut in climate emissions by 2035, which was 6% more than it proposed in January. It proposed a ban on petrol and diesel imports by 2035 and having half of all vehicle imports be EVs and hybrids by 2029. It sees cow and sheep numbers falling 13.6% by 2030. However, it sees these moves only cutting GDP by 0.5% by 2035, although it argues doing nothing would carve twice as much off GDP.

My view? Both bits of news highlight the political pain of trying to change the status quo and the problems the Government will have trying to achieve two of its big aims: carbon zero by 2050 and reducing the now-heavy use of temporary migrant workers in tourism, hospitality and agriculture.

The bottom line: Going cold turkey on a low-wage small-business-dominated economy where the main business investment is a double-cab ute is hard, especially when you haven’t (and won’t) change the tax settings for investing in productivity-enhancing equipment and business structures, rather than leveraged land. The PM’s decision to rule out a Capital Gains Tax or wealth tax makes that big switch impossible any time this decade.

A tricked-out double-cab ute and two luxury SUVs parked outside a restaurant on Jervois Rd in Auckland’s Herne Bay. Photo: The Kaka.
Kiwibuild again :rolleyes:

Reactions: Inruin

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The bottom line: Going cold turkey on a low-wage small-business-dominated economy where the main business investment is a double-cab ute is hard, especially when you haven’t (and won’t) change the tax settings for investing in productivity-enhancing equipment and business structures, rather than leveraged land.
This is no joke.

The NZ labour force is heavily dominated by SMEs who cannot catch a bus or train to work and their ute or van is the virtual workplace.

Many use petrol powered engines as well.

There will be battery operated tools eventually, but they will be expensive, and they are not here yet.

Something makes me doubt that an economist buried in Wellington is onto this yet, let alone the Kiwibuild crowd.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Rose Byrne, the gorgeous Rose Byrne 😍 😍 is to play Cindy in the planned movie. This is probably because being an Aussie she can do justice to the accent.

Cindy is distancing herself from the movie, maybe because she has no control over it. If I were here I would be please to be played by such a beautiful and competent actress.

1623402755388.png

If they make a movie about me I would choose Sean Connery.;)

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Paula Benefit campaigns hard against Muller with Bridges.. prob uses any dirty tactic possible, Muller wins.. says sorry love no place for you in my administration.. she cries fowl.. ummmm what do you think would happen? Always poor me bullshit any chance to make myself feel better. Get a grip.
Anthony Scaramucci, Trumps former press secretary, said that there were some real bad dudes in New York but none of them compared with those in Washington.

Politicians by nature are bottom feeding predators, even the nice ones. Wellington is a proverbial snake pit. They all play the same game. I have no sympathy for any of them.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Rose Byrne, the gorgeous Rose Byrne 😍 😍 is to play Cindy in the planned movie. This is probably because being an Aussie she can do justice to the accent.

Cindy is distancing herself from the movie, maybe because she has no control over it. If I were here I would be please to be played by such a beautiful and competent actress.

View attachment 44405

If they make a movie about me I would choose Sean Connery.;)
Personally I think that this movie is too sensitive to be considered at this time. Maybe 10 /20 years down the line would be more appropriate. 🤔Mr Bean comes to mind when I think of you Brucey boy

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Personally I think that this movie is too sensitive to be considered at this time. Maybe 10 /20 years down the line would be more appropriate. 🤔Mr Bean comes to mind when I think of you Brucey boy
I hope this is in context. This is an Australian doco about the Danish attitude to Muslim immigrants.

To be honest I was staggered. When I was there a while back I found the Danes were the friendliest, most pragmatic people you could meet. They were well travelled and had that broad attitude that travel brings. They were not like Southern Baptists.

This shows that things have changed since then. It seems that the Muslims would have problems with the Danish love of good beer and pork. So getting schools to remove pork from school lunches is not the best way to integrate.

Muslims seem to be very sensitive, and maybe that is why they are against this movie.

A tricky question for sure.

Reactions: john nick

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I turn to the example of the Anthem.

First times it was sung in Maori the crowds booed.....because we are one of the most racist countries in the world.
I well remember that Hinewehi Mohi was supposed to sing the national anthem at the RWC in Wales in 1999. I am pretty sure she made the decision to sing it in Maori as well as English.

It was a brave move and many right wingers complained.

She won the day and good on her.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I well remember that Hinewehi Mohi was supposed to sing the national anthem at the RWC in Wales in 1999. I am pretty sure she made the decision to sing it in Maori as well as English.

It was a brave move and many right wingers complained.

She won the day and good on her.
People don’t like change. Not just Te Reo - any change to what they are used to and comfortable with. Anyone that’s travelled would know most European countries are multilingual including signage, etc. It’s just normal.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

Sorry to have to ask, but does anybody know?

Is the film already made or has somebody got access to the script?

Wouldn't that be unusual?

So how do lefties like Green Party MP Golriz Ghahraman get in on the act?

The true story is of how a right wing lunatic found one of the easiest places on the planet to wipe out some Muslims, and not by accident.

Where were the Five Eyes, NZ SIS, CIA, FBI?

Same as on Jan 6, busy watching for Muslim extremists?

Just asking like.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Excellent article by Heather Du Plessis Allan. Cyclists make far too much noise for their level of importance.

Heather du Plessis-Allan: Don't underestimate 'pissy' middle NZ voters​

Earlier this week, Labour's polling guru made an astonishing admission on the radio. He didn't think the government expected the blowback they're getting over the Auckland cycle-bridge decision.

Stephen Mills' company UMR runs focus groups and polls for Labour. To him, the reaction seemed "right over the top in lots of ways", led by "Fox News equivalents in Auckland radio".

Could he be any more out of touch? Could the government be any more out of touch?
Of course ordinary voters were going to hate the Boomer Bike Bridge to Birkenhead. You'd struggle to find a project that does a better job of screaming "middle class indulgence" to people struggling to make ends meet.

When you're stuck in congestion for close to two hours driving into the city from Pōkeno every morning because that's the only place you could afford to buy a house, that bridge looks like an indulgence.

When the median price of a house in your suburb is $875,000, you are going to resent paying for a bridge that connects Takapuna to Herne Bay with its $3m median price.

When you're in one of the 170,000 cars on the Harbour Bridge each day and the Government won't build another harbour crossing for cars to free up congestion, you are going to be pissy at it building a bridge for 3000 cyclists a day to use.

When you're in Ashburton and you've been begging for a second bridge for years so that your town doesn't get cut in half like it did last week during the rain storms, you are going to resent being told no, while the Government spends 21 times that money on a luxury bike lane.
When you're a nurse striking for a pay rise that won't even match you to your Australian peers you are going to feel angry at the Government saying there's no money left, only days after promising cyclists close to a billion dollars.

Which of these groups of people is being "right over the top" in their reactions?
The fact that Labour is surprised at our outrage tells me they don't understand Middle New Zealand voters.

They badly misjudged how much we would object to this spend and how much we would hate the pay freeze just a few weeks ago. They don't know what we prioritise.

After years of living in a Wellington politics bubble or a university bubble or a union bubble they've stopped bumping into normal people. They are relying on focus groups to try to understand us, but focus groups have limits. Focus groups measure people through a series of questions. People are more complicated than that.

To Labour, Middle New Zealanders are a curiosity they occasionally venture out to study like a zoologist heading out to watch a pack of passing giraffes.
But worse than that, there is a hint of class-war snobbery in what Mills said. A certain set of Wellington lefties love to sneer at Auckland-based talkback radio and people who listen to it. They abhor the hosts' and callers' opinions. To them, talkback radio is a landscape of uninformed noise.

It is, of course, the complete opposite. Talkback callers are among the most engaged voters in the country. They consume news all day long, hold informed opinions, and care deeply enough to share those opinions. It's just that their opinions — often based on real experience, not theories — offend intellectual snobs.

To dismiss them — and to dismiss the radio hosts who lead those conversations — is to make a huge mistake. According to this newspaper, NewstalkZB at last count had more listeners than its closest competitor Radio New Zealand for the first time in history. That's a huge chunk of voters to dismiss and fail to understand.

It's tempting to believe Labour shares Mills' attitude, given the PM now refuses to appear on NewstalkZB's Mike Hosking Breakfast Show weekly. Not worth the effort, apparently. Again, a huge chunk of voters to forgo.

If Labour doesn't understand these voters and couldn't predict how deeply we'd resent them prioritising wealthy cyclists over nurses, they'll struggle to hold on to Middle New Zealand voters for long.

Luckily for them there's no credible alternative in National at the moment. But they'd be wise to ask their polling guy to start measuring how much of their huge support is rock solid, and how much is soft but staying with Labour because there is nowhere else for pissy Middle New Zealand voters to take their "right over the top" reactions.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Excellent article by Heather Du Plessis Allan. Cyclists make far too much noise for their level of importance.

Heather du Plessis-Allan: Don't underestimate 'pissy' middle NZ voters​

Earlier this week, Labour's polling guru made an astonishing admission on the radio. He didn't think the government expected the blowback they're getting over the Auckland cycle-bridge decision.

Stephen Mills' company UMR runs focus groups and polls for Labour. To him, the reaction seemed "right over the top in lots of ways", led by "Fox News equivalents in Auckland radio".

Could he be any more out of touch? Could the government be any more out of touch?
Of course ordinary voters were going to hate the Boomer Bike Bridge to Birkenhead. You'd struggle to find a project that does a better job of screaming "middle class indulgence" to people struggling to make ends meet.

When you're stuck in congestion for close to two hours driving into the city from Pōkeno every morning because that's the only place you could afford to buy a house, that bridge looks like an indulgence.

When the median price of a house in your suburb is $875,000, you are going to resent paying for a bridge that connects Takapuna to Herne Bay with its $3m median price.

When you're in one of the 170,000 cars on the Harbour Bridge each day and the Government won't build another harbour crossing for cars to free up congestion, you are going to be pissy at it building a bridge for 3000 cyclists a day to use.

When you're in Ashburton and you've been begging for a second bridge for years so that your town doesn't get cut in half like it did last week during the rain storms, you are going to resent being told no, while the Government spends 21 times that money on a luxury bike lane.
When you're a nurse striking for a pay rise that won't even match you to your Australian peers you are going to feel angry at the Government saying there's no money left, only days after promising cyclists close to a billion dollars.

Which of these groups of people is being "right over the top" in their reactions?
The fact that Labour is surprised at our outrage tells me they don't understand Middle New Zealand voters.

They badly misjudged how much we would object to this spend and how much we would hate the pay freeze just a few weeks ago. They don't know what we prioritise.

After years of living in a Wellington politics bubble or a university bubble or a union bubble they've stopped bumping into normal people. They are relying on focus groups to try to understand us, but focus groups have limits. Focus groups measure people through a series of questions. People are more complicated than that.

To Labour, Middle New Zealanders are a curiosity they occasionally venture out to study like a zoologist heading out to watch a pack of passing giraffes.
But worse than that, there is a hint of class-war snobbery in what Mills said. A certain set of Wellington lefties love to sneer at Auckland-based talkback radio and people who listen to it. They abhor the hosts' and callers' opinions. To them, talkback radio is a landscape of uninformed noise.

It is, of course, the complete opposite. Talkback callers are among the most engaged voters in the country. They consume news all day long, hold informed opinions, and care deeply enough to share those opinions. It's just that their opinions — often based on real experience, not theories — offend intellectual snobs.

To dismiss them — and to dismiss the radio hosts who lead those conversations — is to make a huge mistake. According to this newspaper, NewstalkZB at last count had more listeners than its closest competitor Radio New Zealand for the first time in history. That's a huge chunk of voters to dismiss and fail to understand.

It's tempting to believe Labour shares Mills' attitude, given the PM now refuses to appear on NewstalkZB's Mike Hosking Breakfast Show weekly. Not worth the effort, apparently. Again, a huge chunk of voters to forgo.

If Labour doesn't understand these voters and couldn't predict how deeply we'd resent them prioritising wealthy cyclists over nurses, they'll struggle to hold on to Middle New Zealand voters for long.

Luckily for them there's no credible alternative in National at the moment. But they'd be wise to ask their polling guy to start measuring how much of their huge support is rock solid, and how much is soft but staying with Labour because there is nowhere else for pissy Middle New Zealand voters to take their "right over the top" reactions.
True. Too many people in NZ pushing their own barrows. Read an article about the RSPCA wanting money from the government to save deserted animals

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
True. Too many people in NZ pushing their own barrows. Read an article about the RSPCA wanting money from the government to save deserted animals
Confucious say...if you don't ask you don't get... the thing with cyclists though is for some reason they are highly motivated and organised.

Many (of course) are aging yuppies, well educated and trained at pushing buttons...and I forgot...total assholes.

FFS a cycle way across the harbour bridge is going to make SFA difference to the queues in Onewa Road, Northcote. The queues are so bad they are stretching up Birkenhead Avenue. It is ok for the bus catching yuppies from there because there is a bus lane down Onewa Road, but not before.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016

Good to see this thread bumping above the post match again ;)

Unfortunately the government, and indeed the western worlds drive to sustainability toward electric vechicles is one founded in bullshit.

Sustainability is an area I work in. And it is a total farce (not just because I work in it). You can make anything look good depending on where you draw your system boundaries. Electric cars look great if you just consider their lifetime use. Take into account the mining and disposal of batteries and they are a disaster from a sustainability point of view.

Government doesn't care. They just want the moron vote...and they are getting it. They have and always will sell you what you want to hear, whether they be left or right.

Same goes for plastic bags. Social media drove that change. Not science. You have to use your re-usable bag several hundred times before it becomes more sustainable than a plastic bag (this was known by the government and was in their report on the change!).

I just threw out a re-usable bag after a couple of uses because it was contaminated with chicken leakage. I'm sure many of you have done the same.

Same goes for your re-usable cup when getting a coffee in the morning. Unless you are using it hundreds of times, it's worse than the disposable ones. But it makes you feel good right?

As long as we as a general consumer entity remain ignorant, companies will continue to sell us what we want to see/hear. All the while we drive further toward climate disaster, but we feel better about ourselves.

Melbourne Storm Central Coast Stadium, Gosford Rate Match

Last Game

13 Jun

4.3 Total Avg Rating
5.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 6 ratings