Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I guess it depends on whether you’re going to call yourselves the most transparent, open and honest government.... then you’d think that such large constitutional changes should be made known.
Who's words are "most transparent, open and honest ".the governments or media or yours?Or maybe you been listening to the paper boy again

Last edited:

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Who's words are "most transparent, open and honest ".the governments or media or yours?Or maybe you been listening to the paper boy again
Those would a summary of Ardern‘s own words at her opening speech to parliament when she was outlining the government’s agenda for the next three years. Then, there was question time months latter when she admitted that the government wasn’t open and transparent.

Reactions: wizards rage

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Brucey boy you forget about Kenny Credlin and Bolt ;)
Pete Credlin works for Murdoch doesn't she? I have never listened to her.

I only listen to Tucker Carlson when another network shows a clip of him being a total idiot.

He said last year he doesn't go out much with his family because people shout abuse at him. I think he has 9 million viewers, which in the context of the US population shows what a pimple on the arse he is.

Unfortunately he preaches to a seriously deranged audience, the guy is no laughing matter.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Pete Credlin works for Murdoch doesn't she? I have never listened to her.

I only listen to Tucker Carlson when another network shows a clip of him being a total idiot.

He said last year he doesn't go out much with his family because people shout abuse at him. I think he has 9 million viewers, which in the context of the US population shows what a pimple on the arse he is.

Unfortunately he preaches to a seriously deranged audience, the guy is no laughing matter.
Yeah Peta Credlin on Sky news. Completely biased like the poofter Jones

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Those would a summary of Ardern‘s own words at her opening speech to parliament when she was outlining the government’s agenda for the next three years. Then, there was question time months latter when she admitted that the government wasn’t open and transparent.

At least she was open and transparent hey

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
At least she was open and transparent hey
The most ironic thing is that the further out you get from the centrist parties to the likes of the Greens and Act, the more ”honest” they are about the policies, strategies and agendas.

The Nats are in so much disarray, I’m not sure that they even know what their strategies and agendas are. While Labour seem to have fallen into the trap of being to complacent and thinking/hoping voters memories are to short when the next election rolls around.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
The most ironic thing is that the further out you get from the centrist parties to the likes of the Greens and Act, the more ”honest” they are about the policies, strategies and agendas.

The Nats are in so much disarray, I’m not sure that they even know what their strategies and agendas are. While Labour seem to have fallen into the trap of being to complacent and thinking/hoping voters memories are to short when the next election rolls around.
Too?

Reactions: Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I think that Labour had such a large victory at the last election and, despite some failures and communication errors, have done extremely well with the COVID response, that people are willing to forgive them the times things haven’t gone their way. If they take that forgiveness to much for granted, they are at risk of becoming complacent and that could come back to bite them during the next election.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I think that Labour had such a large victory at the last election and, despite some failures and communication errors, have done extremely well with the COVID response, that people are willing to forgive them the times things haven’t gone their way. If they take that forgiveness to much for granted, they are at risk of becoming complacent and that could come back to bite them during the next election.
Hahaha have you ever thought about the alternative to vote for. I don't think at this point Nats would get any more votes than they did last election. More likely less

Reactions: davo

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Hahaha have you ever thought about the alternative to vote for. I don't think at this point Nats would get any more votes than they did last election. More likely less
I think of it this way. The two larger parties know that most of their voters will continue to vote they always have or the way their parents and their parents have always voted.

The campaigning is really targeted at two groups; first time voters and swing voters. These are the ones that decide the election results.

Me.... I don’t vote for one party because I always have. I don’t vote for the party that I think provides the best outcomes for me but for the country. I vote not just based on the policies of the parties but if I can trust them to see them through.

In short, I’m the type of person the parties arm their campaigns at... not those they’ve already got, but one whose vote they should be trying to attract.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I think of it this way. The two larger parties know that most of their voters will continue to vote they always have or the way their parents and their parents have always voted.

The campaigning is really targeted at two groups; first time voters and swing voters. These are the ones that decide the election results.

Me.... I don’t vote for one party because I always have. I don’t vote for the party that I think provides the best outcomes for me but for the country. I vote not just based on the policies of the parties but if I can trust them to see them through.

In short, I’m the type of person the parties arm their campaigns at... not those they’ve already got, but one whose vote they should be trying to attract.
Sorry Mike but you sound like a politician. Didn't actually get to talk about my point but went off on another tangent

• Haha

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
So, because there is no credible alternative we should just accept what is happening in current government and say thanks for coming?

Have a quick re-read of JA's speech from the throne in Sept 18 that Miket12 posted and then point out the successes and honesty in the following 3 years.

National are history, no doubt, but just like Labour before Little spat the dummy all it takes is a charismatic front person to turn an election. You don't need policy because they had none.

Such is the way of politics in NZ

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Sorry Mike but you sound like a politician. Didn't actually get to talk about my point but went off on another tangent
Sorry mate, I was saying that I do consider the alternative. I don’t think National, if they continue how they’re going will win. I think it will come down to the Nats finding a leader with the personality to overcome Ardern‘s. Unfortunately, like when Key was PM, having a vibrant leader is more important to a lot of people than their policies.

It’s also really hard to overcome the Be Kind, positive lines. Why? Because you have to be nicer.... and Crusher is never going to pull that off. And Nationals policies will also be seen as being negative as they will go back to their default positions: justice, less government spending, more immigration, lower pay increases to public servants.

Even Labour’s housing policies where it’s time to lay the blame on landlords is being done “nicely” because landlords are stopping people saving deposits and making untaxed profits. Even though this goes against Labour’s Be Nice, Be Positive lines, voters don’t see it as Labour going against their inclusive default by bringing in changes in such a nice way.

Last edited:

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Sorry mate, I was saying that I do consider the alternative. I don’t think National, if they continue how they’re going will win. I think it will come down to the Nats finding a leader with the personality to overcome Ardern‘s. Unfortunately, like when Key was PM, having a vibrant leader is more important to a lot of people than their policies.

It’s also really hard to overcome the Be Kind, positive lines. Why? Because you have to be nicer.... and Crusher is never going to pull that off. And Nationals policies will also be seen as being negative as they will go back to their default positions: justice, less government spending, more immigration, lower pay increases to public servants.

Even Labour’s housing policies where it’s time to lay the blame on landlords is being done “nicely” because landlords are stopping people saving deposits and making untaxed profits. Even though this goes against Labour’s Be Nice, Be Positive lines, voters don’t see it as Labour going against their inclusive default by bringing in changes in such a nice way.
Thanks Mike .Have a lovely day ;)

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
‘Treasury's update last month, where the Government's books were opened up, showed we're now more than $100 billion in debt, representing 32.6 percent of GDP, a comparison of what the Government owes with what it produces.

How does the debt compare to pre-COVID times? In February 2020, Government debt was at $59.7 billion, representing just 19.5 percent of GDP. It means in the space of one year, debt increased by 73 percent because of COVID-19.

Debt is tipped to reach $190 billion by 2025 - 46.9 percent of GDP.’

We spent $40 billion on the Covid recovery. How are we spending another $90B over the next 4 years when we’re coming out of Covid??? WTF are they spending it on? Lolly scramble or is the economy in economic freefall?

That’s an extra $18,000 government loss per Nzer over the next 4 years. Almost $100,000 for just my family of 5! This is the spending that’s going to be a killer long term.

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
How does the debt compare to pre-COVID times? In February 2020, Government debt was at $59.7 billion, representing just 19.5 percent of GDP. It means in the space of one year, debt increased by 73 percent because of COVID-19.

Debt is tipped to reach $190 billion by 2025 - 46.9 percent of GDP.’

We spent $40 billion on the Covid recovery. How are we spending another $90B over the next 4 years when we’re coming out of Covid??? WTF are they spending it on? Lolly scramble or is the economy in economic freefall?

That’s an extra $18,000 government loss per Nzer over the next 4 years. Almost $100,000 for just my family of 5! This is the spending that’s going to be a killer long term.
Perhaps it would be useful to compare this against what other countries have borrowed and what they are forecasting in the same period.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Perhaps it would be useful to compare this against what other countries have borrowed and what they are forecasting in the same period.
Everyone agrees with the $40B Covid recovery spend over the last year but it’s the extra $90B once we have recovered over the next 4 years that raises some questions.

We are pretty much over Covid with normal levels of unemployment. What’s a record spend up over the next 4 years for? For context this is getting us up to the debt levels as a percentage of GDP when NZ last almost went bankrupt and forced the’ mother of all budgets’.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akkerz

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
Everyone agrees with the $40B Covid recovery spend over the last year but it’s the extra $90B once we have recovered over the next 4 years that raises some questions.

We are pretty much over Covid with normal levels of unemployment. What’s a record spend up over the next 4 years for? For context this is getting us up to the debt levels as a percentage of GDP when NZ last almost went bankrupt and forced the’ mother of all budgets’.
I only ask as it would be interesting to see how other countries are handling the post covid recovery.
I would say most developed countries would be doing similar.

Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

4.5 Total Avg Rating
4.5 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings