Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
that's smart. As long as the rules are being followed.

I'm actually surprised that the government (as in the New Zealand Government, not the Labour party) hasn't bought apartments in the city and used them for out of town MP's to rent from them.
Quite symbolic though I thought (both parties) of how little appetite for systematic change around housing there will be when the people in power are at the trough...

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Quite symbolic though I thought (both parties) of how little appetite for systematic change around housing there will be when the people in power are at the trough...
There's also the point that neither party want a huge exodus of landlords out of the market. It's already costing the government over
$1 billion every three months to house people in emergency accommodation. That would skyrocket if even two percent of investors decided they would rather landbank their properties than rent them out. If the government decided to build state houses for them, that's over 10,000 houses. At an NZ median house price of $750,000, that's over $7.5 billion worth of new houses.... without building more for those currently in emergency accommodation. Considering the amount we have borrowed for the COVID response, where would that money come from? Education, welfare, health, police, the environment?

Last edited:

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
There's also the point that neither party want a huge exodus of landlords out of the market. It's already costing the government over
$1 billion every three months to house people in emergency accommodation. That would skyrocket if even two percent of investors decided they would rather landbank their properties than rent them out. If the government decided to build state houses for them, that's over 10,000 houses. At an NZ median house price of $750,000, that's over $7.5 billion worth of new houses.... without building more for those currently in emergency accommodation. Considering the amount we have borrowed for the COVID response, where would that money come from? Education, welfare, health, police, the environment?
It would come from the working poor, the middle class.
Are you sure they are spending $4billion a year on emergency housing? Seems a huge amount.

Reactions: wizards rage

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
It would come from the working poor, the middle class.
Are you sure they are spending $4billion a year on emergency housing? Seems a huge amount.
It‘s based on the figures an economist from JBWere wealth management gave on the radio. It’s costing over $1 mil each day just to house people in hotels and motels. An apartment building in Manukau last year received over $6 mil leasing rooms for EH to the MSD for $450 per night when they usually charge $180 per night.

Landlords are being paid $900 per week for each bedroom in their houses.... and, according to a herald report, many of these should be condemned and don’t even come close to the Healthy Homes Standard (HHS) Worse than that is when their contract has finished, MSD are going to pay to have the homes not fixed up to the standard they were before these leases started but up to private rentable market standards including meeting the HHS.

Last edited:

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
It‘s based on the figures an economist from JBWere wealth management gave on the radio. It’s costing over $1 mil each day just to house people in hotels and motels. An apartment building in Manukau last year received over $6 mil leasing rooms for EH to the MSD for $450 per night when they usually charge $180 per night.

Landlords are being paid $900 per week for each bedroom in their houses.... and, according to a herald report, many of these should be condemned and don’t even come close to the Healthy Homes Standard (HHS) Worse than that is when their contract has finished, MSD are going to pay to have the homes not fixed up to the standard they were before these leases started but up to private rentable market standards including meeting the HHS.
Okay, $365 million for motels and hotels sounds right, I can't see $3.63billion on emergency rooms in houses. In any event it is representative of the fuck up this lot perpetuate with housing. The reinstatement of leased properties will cost a fortune. Tenant damage is a huge problem for HNZ in their portfolio, much worse in lease properties. I am pretty sure meth testing will be required in all properties and remediation work will be another huge cost. All great news if you have a HNZ maintenance contract.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Still begs the question .Whats the alternative.Should the government tip all these people out on the streets.Seems to me that would be a huge fuckup
No, you can't do that having set the precedent. All they can do now is build more state accommodation and transfer them over.

Don't forget Whanau Ora are a serious player in the market now after getting a big bag of cash in the "Housing Package"

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
No, you can't do that having set the precedent. All they can do now is build more state accommodation and transfer them over.

Don't forget Whanau Ora are a serious player in the market now after getting a big bag of cash in the "Housing Package"
Actually Rick I was talking about today. Not the long term

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Okay, $365 million for motels and hotels sounds right, I can't see $3.63billion on emergency rooms in houses. In any event it is representative of the fuck up this lot perpetuate with housing. The reinstatement of leased properties will cost a fortune. Tenant damage is a huge problem for HNZ in their portfolio, much worse in lease properties. I am pretty sure meth testing will be required in all properties and remediation work will be another huge cost. All great news if you have a HNZ maintenance contract.

Reactions: dean

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Not sure how the Treaty money is invested or managed by the separate tribes but given Maori are greatly affected by this housing crisis why aren't they investing in cost effective housing particularly in areas like the Far North?

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney Rate Match

Last Game

18 Apr

20 - 14
7.2 Total Avg Rating
7.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 4.9
    Peta Hiku

Compiled from 18 ratings