• New Conservative Party

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
With the news that a Covid Vaccine is now very close (Pfizer's revolutionary gene therapy) I was very anxious to see whether we are on the waiting list, or whether we we will have to wait years from the bottom of the list.

The ministry of health were ahead of the curve with the waiting game.

They chose a number of Vaccine candidates to back and set up conversations with manufacturers about how to get New Zealanders on the list.

Our small Covid vaccine committee of experts (eight people from memory) had to choose who to back in the Race.

Pfizer's experimental vaccine uses previously purely theoretical science.

And it turns out it looks as though the Giant in Pharmaceuticals has done it. 90% efficacy so far....that's a dream score up with measles Vaccines.

So it was revealed on RNZ National this afternoon tha New Zealand did indeed choose Pfizer as one of it's gambles and secured a purchase and supply agreement for an initial 1.5 million dose order!

Fark NZ Science rocks, I love our Scientists.

Implications for the Government are huge.

750K of our order will arrive early next year by the looks.

There is only a small number of countries with our type of Pfizer deal.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I cannot believe that we may be the first country in the world with Covid restrictions lifted after being one of the first to lock down.

Certainly cannot believe that we could be the worlds first country to achieve Covid inoculation.

You can see why Pfizer took us seriously.

A small isolated population that has the social climate and political leadership to see the Vaccine trials of a population receive proper use and monitoring.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I cannot believe that we may be the first country in the world with Covid restrictions lifted after being one of the first to lock down.

Certainly cannot believe that we could be the worlds first country to achieve Covid inoculation.

You can see why Pfizer took us seriously.

A small isolated population that has the social climate and political leadership to see the Vaccine trials of a population receive proper use and monitoring.
Yeah exactly mate. With everything that Jacinda has had to deal with she has done an amazing job

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Yeah exactly mate. With everything that Jacinda has had to deal with she has done an amazing job
There was a lot of angst about our economy which was fair enough, however the way things are turning out we really only needed to be patient and spend some money that was set aside for a disaster and come out on top.

And we will come out on top. The predictions that New Zealand on its current trajectory would end up the poorest of the OECD countries never took into account that a Vaccine would appear so quickly....., New Zealand manoeuvred its people to the top of the list to receive the benefits of the worlds latest scientific break through.

You have to say we have been blessed to have the right people making the right decisions for all of us.

Empathy and kindness, saving peoples lives, is worth fighting for....because that is who most of us are.

Last edited:

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
There was a lot of angst about our economy which was fair enough, however the way things are turning out we really only needed to be patient and spend some money that was set aside for a disaster and come out on top.

And we will come out on top. The predictions that New Zealand on its current trajectory would end up the poorest of the OECD countries never took into account that a Vaccine would appear so quickly.....but much much more than that, that New Zealand would play chess and manoeuvre her people to the top of the list to receive the benefits of the worlds latest scientific break through.

You have to say we have been blessed to have the right people making the right decisions for all of us.

And we will be stronger, because we showed that empathy and kindness, saving peoples lives, is worth fighting for....because that is who most of us are.

We hold our culture and our social values high above our heads in a fkd up world and theredfore our kids and our elderly sleep better at night.
This deserves a haka or at least the anthem Sup, I'm doing one now, saved by gene therapy.

• Haha
Reactions: john nick and Sup42

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity

There's never a middle ground with all these self adulating experts
I agree with everything in that article as long as all this cleanup doesn't upset our diminishing dairy industry or interfere with my weekly steak ration

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
There's never a middle ground with all these self adulating experts
I agree with everything in that article as long as all this cleanup doesn't upset our diminishing dairy industry or interfere with my weekly steak ration
Pretty simple plan - stop the intensification (farms will be more profitable - less input costs) and over-indulgence in chemical fertilisers - aka stop polluting and the rivers/wetlands will heal themselves. Sheep and Beef farming isn't really in the spotlight here - It's intensification of the dairy industry that needs some urgent attention. Unless you buy skim or whole milk powder it's not really going to affect you. ;)

Reactions: Sup42 and Akkerz

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Pretty simple plan - stop the intensification (farms will be more profitable - less input costs) and over-indulgence in chemical fertilisers - aka stop polluting and the rivers/wetlands will heal themselves. Sheep and Beef farming isn't really in the spotlight here - It's intensification of the dairy industry that needs some urgent attention. Unless you buy skim or whole milk powder it's not really going to affect you. ;)
With all due respect with the current policy setting intensification has to be the end result.

As some may know, I have been in the process of setting up a business in Rotorua that would employ many people. The idea is solid. The underlying land cost; the increasing cost of labour (minimum wage increases, extra leave entitlement, etc) and the unseen compliance costs have made the whole project uneconomic.

It’s particularly concerning as costs behind the scenes, are increasing more than incomes. This is the insane house price increase impacting the real world. This is wages out of alignment with employee productivity. This is a shift in the economy away from productive businesses that rely on the fundamentals towards favouring unproductive asset classes.

This is the rubber hitting the road - policy playing out in the real world. I’m literally going to take that money I would have put into business and put it into a rental property that will make as much money for less work. Downward spiral folks...

We are an extremely high cost country that only high end and/or high turnover business can survive.

Transfer that to farming and with high land costs, inability to get pickers and calls to pay more, increased compliance costs (that are significant), global warming and increasingly hostile weather, etc and they need to keep getting more intensive or it becomes unsustainable. You can’t have your costs going up more than your income without growing your production.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Auckland’s medium house price has risen to a record $1mil. There has also been a 16% increase in the last 12 months. Good you own a property... not so much if you’re renting or trying to save a deposit for your own place.

As people are out priced from the Auckland market, they’re heading to other centres causing houses rises there too and a nationwide increase of 20% has occurred.

The rule of thumb is that houses double in value around every ten years.... if this continues, they will double in 5 to 6 years.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Transfer that to farming and with high land costs, inability to get pickers and calls to pay more, increased compliance costs (that are significant), global warming and increasingly hostile weather, etc and they need to keep getting more intensive or it becomes unsustainable. You can’t have your costs going up more than your income without growing your production.
I like your thinking. We solve the problems that intensification have caused, by implementing more intensification. haha!

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Get rid of Dairy, diversify.

Fresh water, drinkable water is the Oil of the future. The planet is rapidly running out of it.

Clean up our water, stop giving it to the Chinese free via a certain National party leader, wonder how many Swiss Chalets you get for that type of deal.

The reliance on farming that fks your environment is asking for trouble.

We are not a third world country looking to screw our living spaces for profit...nek minit....

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

Fresh water, drinkable water is the Oil of the future. The planet is rapidly running out of it.

Clean up our water, stop giving it to the Chinese free via a certain National party leader, wonder how many Swiss Chalets you get for that type of deal.

We are not a third world country looking to screw our living spaces for profit...nek minit....
Would have been around fifty years ago when my father finished dairy farming down in the Manawatu. He had grown up on the farm and brought it from his parents when they retired.

We had a small stream that went through our property. He was one of the first farmers in the area to ensure that the fences around it were always in good repair. He also planted willows and reeds in the margins by the stream and put up a second fence. Slowly, other farmers in the area started to do the same thing. At a school reunion a few years ago, I spoke to one of guys I used to go to primary school with. He ended up buying our old farm and that, for the first time in generations, kids were seeing eels back in that stream. The local Fed Farmers have been using it as an example other farmers with water courses either in their land or on the borders of it should do.

What disappoints me is the large amount of wetland that we're losing especially in Southland where swamps are being drained.

As for selling water to China and other countries, I'll stop here before I say something I'll regret about the @##@$ successive governments and locals authourities that allow it.

Last edited:

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016

Like it or not we are dependant on farming to a large degree. Farming is more a science now, if farmers are not at the edge of science and technology, the bank puts the for sale sign up. Farming has been the cause of damage to waterways and we may not have seen the importance of the damage being done. Now we do, including farmers.
I agree with you Sub, that water could be the currency of the future and it really pisses me off that we ( Govt ) have virtually gifted some of it to Chinese interests.
We are not third world but if we loose our natural assets and don't protect the advantage we have, we will be in time. Already, getting onto the property ladder almost anywhere in NZ is much harder for a Kiwi than a Chinese with recent residency.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Like it or not we are dependant on farming to a large degree. Farming is more a science now, if farmers are not at the edge of science and technology, the bank puts the for sale sign up. Farming has been the cause of damage to waterways and we may not have seen the importance of the damage being done. Now we do, including farmers.
I agree with you Sub, that water could be the currency of the future and it really pisses me off that we ( Govt ) have virtually gifted some of it to Chinese interests.
We are not third world but if we loose our natural assets and don't protect the advantage we have, we will be in time. Already, getting onto the property ladder almost anywhere in NZ is much harder for a Kiwi than a Chinese with recent residency.
I'm ok with Farming. I think it is crucial in a world where you might have to feed your citizens or they starve.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
Hmm offshore company can export pure NZ bottled water at a cent or two per litre.

Auckland has shortage and has to pay more than that for shitty waikato river water.

Auckland city is broke and reading about their billion dollar deficits and future losses based on interest hedging, I would say it will remain that way for a long time.

Coupled to the housing bonanza/disaster there is no easy answer. Saw JA commenting yesterday that it is a big problem to which they don't have an answer (yet)

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
While dairying gets most of the blame for pollution it should be remembered they only use around 10% of the land area. Sheep and Beef are around 3x that.

Now that the referendum is lost, we won't be farming Ganja anytime soon, which is probably good as I believe it likes a good deal of Nitrate fertilizer.

Southland became popular because land prices in the dairy belt of Taranaki/Waikato were too expensive.

Agriculture (led by dairy) will always be the primary industry in this country. We have something that makes us competitive that very few other countries in the world have.

Consistent, Rain/Sun/Grass.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings