General New Utility In Todays Game

Reaction score
LoachNZ

LoachNZ

Waterboy
Reaction score
Whats your take on a quality ultitiy for a squad?

A few season ago we saw a lot of guys hookers that can play 5/8 full back etc like lance hohaia, kurt gidley now i think for todays game you need to be a backrower that can also play in the centres/hooker/halfback like gillet,hinchcliff and Buruer coz now days you have most wingers that will cover full back. Every team in the comp should have a bloke like these guys imo.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I prefer the old style of utility. Someone like Godinet is the sort of utility that I would prefer. He can cover the spine. At a push he could cover wing, and all that leaves in the backs is centre. We have enough second rowers who can step in and cover centre if we are desperate, or one of our backs can shift to centre with Godinet slotting in to their spot. I really dislike the 4 forward bench and am always nervous and waiting for the inevitable injury to one of the backs, that leaves us stretched for cover.

Reaction score
LoachNZ

LoachNZ

Waterboy
Reaction score
im looking at the whole NRL not just the warriors.. like brett morris, hayne those types of players

the warriors are a bad example but we got fish but he wont get any game time with manu being manu and tupou playing decent footy atm and locke at the back :/

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
I think he means that a lot of wingers are capable of playing fullback, not necessarily in our squad. Guys like Nightingale, Luke Burt...(Krisnan Inu ;))

I guess it's squad dependent. The teams that have 80 min hookers tend to end up with an extra backrower capable of playing elsewhere - Gillett, Hinchcliffe, Buhrer etc. Personally I like to have some outside back cover, and I would really like a future outside back to be capable of playing fulback, putting Maloney there just seemed ridiculous.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I really like Gillett he would make my utility bench player any day of the week.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

I think he means that a lot of wingers are capable of playing fullback, not necessarily in our squad. Guys like Nightingale, Luke Burt...(Krisnan Inu ;))
I a aware of what he means and I agree with him.
Where I'm annoyed is that neither of our first choice wings are capable of playing fullback and this is massively problematic with a 4 forward bench. I am unhappy with our tactic in this area and it once again highlights my concerns over Tupou and Manu as our wing combo.
They are too similar, play a similar style and both are LEFT wingers. I would prefer a speedy, athletic winger in the mold of a Duffie or Nightingale (or Omar) on one of our wings.

Top Bottom