General Nathan Friend

Spence_old

New Warriors recruit Nathan Friend has identified the club's coaching staff as one of the main reasons for signing a two-year contract with the NRL club.

Friend says he was almost going to have a clause in his contract to confirm that Ivan Cleary would still be the coach in 2012.

He says assistant coach Tony Iro is also an important part of his move.

Link

I'm sure everyone remembers this, Friend citing Ivan as his main reason for signing with the Warriors. Well now that Cleary is going is he still interested?

From his twitter:

@09friendy Hey Friendy...how's the shoulder? What do you make of the Warriors coaching situation...still happy to go there?

@ajofbrisbane of course, nothing changes for me mate

Twitter.

This is good news.

In my opinion the importance of the Friend signing has been magnified tenfold over the last couple of weeks. Losing Berrigan, Hohaia, Seymour and seemingly Maloney, we are looking pretty skint in experienced spine players. Our 1, 6, 7 is going to be all rookies. Having Friend, a genuine ball playing option at hooker is a huge relief. Added to the fact that Mara hasn't exactly developed the way we've hoped.

Has anyone's views on Friend changed, or been magnified?

sebastian_old

He's obviously a quality player, in an area where we need a bit of experience to add starch. Especially as our young stars, are exactly, will be exactly that. Only question mark over him could only ever be how he comes back from injury, his age. Though hes a champion player, if he comes back just as strong, with the talent surrounding him, himself giving them quality ball, watch out comp..

a.c.e_old

Good pick up, he did cross my mind in all of this. Its good to get a response from him still in the Warriors favour with the latest news. I think he'll want to prove everyone he hasnt passed it and shouldnt be forgotten after the long injury when he pulls on the Warriors jumper.

David James_old

Phew, this is a massive relief, had bad visions of the Titans calling a press conference...

blain91_old

Mate the Titans have $0 for Friend. Would be other clubs i would be worried about..

But great news, he seems like a good bloke, we all know he is a champion player and hard worker, will be great to have hime here.

Patu_old

Friend will be an excellent addition. He adds that mental toughness which I think our young team lacks.

danco_old

If he plays like his father Clayton Friend did for the Kiwis he will be a great asset to the Warriors.

Spence_old

If he plays like his father Clayton Friend did for the Kiwis he will be a great asset to the Warriors.

Wrong Friend mate. Clayton does have a son who plays hooker though, Jethro Friend. Unlucky not to be playing Toyota Cup, by all accounts.

facefacts_old

If his body holds together, his shoulder in particular, he will be a very good signing, a cool head will
be needed around our young halves in next years grand final.:)
I guess the club took a gamble considering his age, lets hope their punt pays out.

Ryno_old

Could someone tell me what his greatest strengths and weaknesses are?

I know he is a great defender but what is his delivery from dummy half and play making ability like? Has he got a good kick on him as well?

Spence_old

Second to only Smith in play making ability and delivery from dummy half. Like you said he is a great defender. Not a strong runner of the ball though, that's his weakness. Makes about half a line break a year and didn't score his first NRL try until his 70th game or something ridiculous.

He is very good at running the forwards around, getting them over the advantage line. Picks good options, he has a smart footy brain. Not sure about his kicking game, he doesn't really need to much with Prince there.

dingleberry_old

I'm not great with positional awareness... but is it possible that luck and friend are still going to be making 40+ tackles each with both in the squad? the thought of those two alone making a third of the tackle count leaving the rest of our forwards fresh to make impact plays is quite exciting

Patu_old

I'm not great with positional awareness... but is it possible that luck and friend are still going to be making 40+ tackles each with both in the squad? the thought of those two alone making a third of the tackle count leaving the rest of our forwards fresh to make impact plays is quite exciting
Yeah, you'd think with those two holding the middle, the only way teams will be scoring tries against us is if they go around us, not through us. Defense is more than just two players though.

Spence_old

I don't think so. They will defend in the same position on the field, so... I'm not really sure how it will turn out. It could well turn out that way.

Jesbass_old

Possibly. Both Rapira and Taylor made 50-odd tackles on the weekend.

(Bad example, I know.)

Jesbass_old

I didn't check - just read it in a match report.

I must be thinking of Packer.

Hang on a sec...

*wanders over to NRLstats.com*

Packer: 45
Mannering: 40
Taylor: 60

Ah, so there were three of them...

Ryno_old

Second to only Smith in play making ability and delivery from dummy half. Like you said he is a great defender. Not a strong runner of the ball though, that's his weakness. Makes about half a line break a year and didn't score his first NRL try until his 70th game or something ridiculous.

He is very good at running the forwards around, getting them over the advantage line. Picks good options, he has a smart footy brain. Not sure about his kicking game, he doesn't really need to much with Prince there.

Nearly jizzed in my pants when I read that!

If he is able to run the forwards around leaving Johnson and Maloney to finish and set up on the flanks! Oh my goodness thats going to be awesome!

Kicking game should be covered by Maloney (long) and Johnson (short), so ideally Friend shouldn't have to kick at all.

And if Mara can get his explosiveness back and become an impact player from the bench, it would be the icing on the cake!

danpatmac_old

Nearly jizzed in my pants when I read that!

If he is able to run the forwards around leaving Johnson and Maloney to finish and set up on the flanks! Oh my goodness thats going to be awesome!

Kicking game should be covered by Maloney (long) and Johnson (short), so ideally Friend shouldn't have to kick at all.

And if Mara can get his explosiveness back and become an impact player from the bench, it would be the icing on the cake!

What are peoples thoughts on Mara playing in the 13 jersey at some point in his future career and covering 9 also?

Patu_old

What are peoples thoughts on Mara playing in the 13 jersey at some point in his future career and covering 9 also?
I think it would be a waste of Mara's strengths. He's a ball-running dummy half, although I can see him develop the finer points of the hooking role in terms of distributing and putting guys into holes.

Elijah Taylor or Ben Henry I see as the long term successors for the 13 jersey.