rugged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Nathan Friend
slide.jpg

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/nathan-friend.29427/
https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/nathan-friend-official.29020/
https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/nathan-friend-to-warriors.29004/
https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/nathan-friend-fined-5000-by-nrl-over-ad.26333/

I thought Friend had his best game of the season last night and now it looks like he will be on the sideline for a while. With him out it does make the return of Luck even more important. Will it be Godinet and Mara to share the hooking duties?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link: warriors.co.nz

Courageous hooker Nathan Friend is expected to be out for six weeks after breaking his jaw early in the Vodafone Warriors’ ninth-round NRL clash against Brisbane at Mount Smart Stadium last night.
Friend was taken to Middlemore Hospital after the match where x-rays confirmed the break.
Team doctor John Mayhew said the NRL veteran had surgery this morning to insert a plate and he faces up to six weeks out of action.
With a bye coming up in the 12th round, it would mean Friend is likely to miss up to five games – the Sydney Roosters (home), Wests Tigers (away), Melbourne (home), Penrith (away) and Cronulla (away).
While the injury happened in the opening five minutes of the match, Friend went on to play the full 80 minutes, insisting he stay on the field.
Wiping blood from his mouth during the match, the former Gold Coast hooker led his side’s tackle statistics with an astonishing 53 tackles. He also laid on two tries with his flat dummy half passes for Jacob Lillyman and Feleti Mateo to score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Warriorholic

Warriorholic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeah that sux bigtime. Maybe a rotation of Godinet and Brown? Is Mara back from injury?

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I'd go with Godinet starting with Mara on the bench. Keep Brown interchanging in the 2nd row and he can come in on occassion to inject at hooker. It eases my biggest concern of the 4 forward bench. At least with Godinet in the squad we have cover for our outside backs. Right now if we lose one of them we would end up with Brown playing wing, I assume. I really don't want to see that.

Its time we stopped relying on so many in the propping rotation. 4 props is enough, especially when you factor Manu's hit ups in. We should not have a 5th prop on the bench. Sorry Ta'ai, yuor weren't bad last night, but for the good of the team, its time for you to play NSW Cup.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well I could see just a straight swap for Godinet, as Brown can fill dummy half. Questions, Mara doesn't even get starting role in NSW. Kingi gets it, so why would Mara get a shot before Kingi?

Reaction score

Danpatmac

also...

tevita latu?
taylor?

we have options

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Havili has been the form player for the U/20s... Him and Godinet might be a bit risky, they will probably use Mara

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Godinet / Brown combo will get the pick however the Latu option is interesting

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Well I could see just a straight swap for Godinet, as Brown can fill dummy half. Questions, Mara doesn't even get starting role in NSW. Kingi gets it, so why would Mara get a shot before Kingi?
I wasn't aware Mara wasn't even making the starting lineup. I assumed they would be giving lots of minutes to the guys with first grade contracts. I will happily drop Mara from my selections if this is the case.

I guess we use Godinet and Brown. Maybe Brown plays 80 minutes spread between interchanging with Godinet and Mateo?

Reaction score

JonB

Waterboy
Reaction score
i think this will cause two position changes. I would bring in our best other hooker outside of Godinet to start and then Godinet off the bench, I do not like his defense eough for him to start, get him in their when the forwards have worn down a bit.

Reaction score

Jordan G

Mara has been injured and only just came back for the Vulcans on Saturday, which is the reason I'd be reluctant to play him.

Brown/Godinet seems the most likely although I really don't like Godinet's defense in the centre of the field. Another option would be if Luck is back Taylor/Brown sharing the duties.

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
Kingi generally always plays the first 30 minutes, then Mara plays the rest (with Kingi coming back on in the last 20 at lock, or somewhere random). However, lately I think that Kingi has been playing lock? I haven't caught any games recently though, so can't comment on how they've operated. I don't think you should read too much into Kingi starting, the same way that we shouldn't have thought too much about Aranga playing fullback with Fisiiahi/Locke on the wing last year. I assume the Vulcans coach likes to have some consistency in his spine, with fringe players jumping up and down. Playing Mara off the bench may have been the best thing for the team. He still played 40-50 minutes either way.

Mara (assuming he's 100% after that injury) starting with Godinet on the bench would be my preference.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Sunday Footy Show have just said Friend will be out for 6 weeks

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeah, Friend himself said that. A real kick in the guts when the team was just starting to fire, but what an effort from Friend to play on for so long with a broken jaw. He deserves a LOT of credit.

Hoping this will see Godinet get a spot in the team and see Tai'ai drop out for another hooking option like Mara or somebody.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Though I'd like to see Godinet, I agree that the Latu idea is interesting.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we have to factor in the time frame of this injury. 6 weeks is a long time to try purely stop gap solutions like Brown/Taylor. That makes us feel better defensively, but I wouldn't back those 2 to provide quality distribution for 80 mins.

The solution will probably be Godinet/Brown. The obvious worry is Godinet's defence. I haven't seen 1 Vulcans game this year, but Latu has been playing between lock and hooker? He wouldn't be the worst option in the world, he's got NRL experience and is obviously doing enough to keep him in that Vulcans side consistently. Will be interesting to see what Bluey produces.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Did you guys see the picture of Friend speaking to the troops and he's trying not to move his mouth too much because there is a pool of blood in it. Tu Meke.

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Godinet / Brown combo will get the pick however the Latu option is interesting
I feel the same way. Pati would be great to see and Brown has been good from dummy. Latu is interesting hes been there and done it.

Did you guys see the picture of Friend speaking to the troops and he's trying not to move his mouth too much because there is a pool of blood in it. Tu Meke.
I did, I thought it was the colour of the mouth guard at first then realised it was blood, I just thought he cut his lip and he'd be alright for the game . . . . . dude was playing with a broken jaw. Just top shelf stuff he was putting out all game, now he goes on a bit of a break.

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
No, but I wish I had. Do you have a link to it? (The image on a.c.e's post won't display...?)

I hear that they were going to pull him at half time but he refused, saying it might be a while before he got to play another 40. It's no wonder he's the least animated in this photo of the victory song!

awww.warriors.co.nz_site__content_LeadImage_00025145_image.jpg

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Friend-out-for-six-weeks-after-breaking-jaw/54596

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
i dont know what that is JB, its not an image thats for sure.

Reaction score

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'd rather not replace a defensive beast for a turnstile, i see Godinet as injury cover for the halves only....must only be played in the case of an emergency.

Top Bottom