Internationals Nathan Fien Grannygate

*Kimmy*_old

3. Paul Hogan for having "too much plastic surgery".

How pathetic, a person can have as much plastic surgery as they like.

And as far as im aware he [Nathan Fien] didn't lie. It was the NZRL that stuffed up. And ffs Australia said it was ok for him to play for us so ffs.

Skinny_Ravs82

3. Paul Hogan for having "too much plastic surgery".

How pathetic, a person can have as much plastic surgery as they like.

And as far as im aware he [Nathan Fien] didn't lie. It was the NZRL that stuffed up. And ffs Australia said it was ok for him to play for us so ffs.
I think you mean: '...and ffs australia said it was ok for him to play for us so ffs fo!' haha

warriors4life_old

They sound like they are bringing people down who have done a lot of service for their country: Shane Warne, Paul Hogan, Guus Hiddink etc.

playdaball_old

If the shoe was on the other foot we would have given a player who turned out for the Wallibies/Kangaroos under false 'grounds' heaps.
People moan about Hunt palying for Aussie but the Fien case is far worse. At least Hunt qualified via residency.
The Grannygate episode was a major disgrace and the NZRL got off too lightly. What has happened since ... nothing.

warriors4life_old

True, but Shane Warne is one of their most successful cricketers ever and a great serviceman to Australian cricket and just for mentioning coaching England he is named in the Un-Australian top 10.

And Guus Hiddink leads them to their first Soccer World Cup in 20 odd years and they almost tie with eventual winners Italy after making the Final 16 and because he decided to go somewhere with more money he is considered Un-Australian (but to be fair he is Dutch).

Definitely looks like they are approaching these people more for the one wrong thing they did rather than all the right things.

Skinny_Ravs82

Oh it was so exciting it made news headlines today! :rolleyes: As for the Fien thing, it's over get over it and move on.

KeepingTheFaith_old

It would seem there are a lot of people who are Un-Australian. Went down to South Bank in QLD for the Australia Day festival today and the one place with the longest que was New Zealand natural ice cream. lol. How Un-australian is that? I was waiting in line for over 20 minutes. Then again by the end of the day they probably claimed the place as their own so it might not be so un-australian.

EnterFien_old

From The Sunday Star Times : https://stuff.co.nz/print/3973304a6444.html

The unsuccessful defence of the Nathan Fien "Grannygate" affair cost the New Zealand Rugby League a whopping $88,000 - and the league's bill for legal and accounting services in the past few months is now more than $200,000.

The NZRL forked out for extensive legal representation to argue against losing points in last year's Tri-Nations series after selecting the ineligible Fien for the Kiwis but still had two points deducted as punishment.

Former NZRL chairman Selwyn Bennett, who resigned in the wake of "Grannygate", blamed his replacement, the league's interim chairman Andrew Chalmers, for the bill. "I wanted to put my hand up then and say we had done it (made a mistake)," said Bennett. "We were going to get what we got anyway but he (Chalmers) had (hired) three lawyers and a QC."

Bennett said a governance review of the sport by PricewaterhouseCoopers commissioned by Chalmers had cost "six figures" and he expected a large amount had also been spent on a review of the game's constitution by lawyer Stephen Franks. "He won't be doing it for bugger all".

Bennett last night said he was considering standing again for chairman as a power struggle develops for control of the sport.

He said he had been asked to run against Chalmers at the league's forthcoming annual meeting. "A few have asked me to stand ... but do you stand or do you enjoy life? I haven't made a decision one way or another."

It's understood key movers in the Auckland Rugby League are searching for a viable candidate to oppose Chalmers.

The NZRL's districts and affiliates convene next weekend for a special general meeting to vote on adopting the rewritten constitution - a meeting now shaping as a major skirmish in the battle for power between Chalmers' modernising agenda and league's traditional administrators.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Please use the Nathan Fien thread for any further discussion on him. Thread is still open for eligibility and good old reminiscent discussion...