Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
League: Warriors in talks to add former Kiwis World Cup winning captain Nathan Cayless to club's coaching staff
21 Sep, 2018 3:30pm
2 minutes to read

Nathan Cayless. Photo / Photosport

The Warriors are in talks to add Kiwis assistant coach and former New Zealand World Cup winning captain Nathan Cayless to their coaching staff for next season.

The 40-year-old former Parramatta front rower, who captained more games than any other NRL player, is considering making the move to Auckland from Australia to become a third assistant to Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

Cayless has been working as head coach of the Wentworthville Magpies - the Eels' feeder Intrust Super Cup side - and earlier this year was appointed as an assistant to Kiwis head coach Michael Maguire, prior to New Zealand's defeat to England in the Denver test at Mile High Stadium in June. He also coached the Junior Kiwis last season.

Warriors general manager of football Brian Smith confirmed the club is hoping Cayless will agree to terms and join fellow assistant coaches Stacey Jones and new recruit Todd Payten, who has been signed to replace Andrew McFadden.

McFadden parted ways with the Warriors last week after six seasons to return to his hometown of Canberra and re-join the Raiders as an assistant to head coach Ricky Stuart.

"We've been talking to Nathan about joining us and are hopefully pretty close to reaching an arrangement," said Smith.

"But he's got a couple of things to weigh up. It's a big step for him to move his family."

Cayless and Kearney are former Kiwis teammates and the pair later reunited when Kearney took over as the national coach with Cayless captaining New Zealand to their historic 2008 World Cup victory.

Cayless also played 259 games for Parramatta during a 14-year career between 1997 and 2010.

It is unclear whether Cayless' decision over whether to join the Warriors might affect his position on Maguire's staff for the upcoming transtasman test against Australia at Mt Smart Stadium on October 13, or the end of year tour of England and France.

Smith was unsure what the club's position might be regarding Cayless potentially juggling both roles, saying: "That would be something we'd talk about. We haven't spoken to him about that at length."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12129435

Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So in the news thread it says Cayless is in line to become the 3rd assistant coach with Jones and Payten - what happened to Iro?

Reaction score
AlexM

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So in the news thread it says Cayless is in line to become the 3rd assistant coach with Jones and Payten - what happened to Iro?
I think he will be the ISP coach - goodbye John teina

Reaction score
Tony Martin

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What’s the story with iro? He seems to change jobs each year. He’s off to become physio next year isn’t he?

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
What’s the story with iro? He seems to change jobs each year. He’s off to become physio next year isn’t he?
What I been told is this:

Coach - Stephen Kearney
Assistant - Todd Payten, Stacey Jones, Tony Iro

ISP Coach - Nathan Cayless...

Reaction score
1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Reaction score
World Cup-winning captain joins coaching staff
Author Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
World Cup-winning Kiwi captain and current Kiwi assistant coach Nathan Cayless has been signed on a two-year deal as Vodafone Warriors Intrust Super Premiership coach charged with the key responsibility of preparing players for the NRL.

Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith today hailed the signing as one of the club’s most important in the mission to build on the Vodafone Warriors’ return to NRL finals football for the first time this season.

“Bringing Nathan to the Vodafone Warriors is critical to us in terms of adding even more quality to our overall coaching staff,” he said.

“Key to his role is transitioning our players from the ISP to the NRL and ensuring they’re much better prepared for it.

“Nathan is ideally equipped to help us really lift in this area through the past experience he has as a player and captain for both the Kiwis and Parramatta and now through his coaching background. He understands better than anyone what is needed.”

Smith and Cayless have a long relationship from their Parramatta days when Smith coached the Eels from 1997-2006. He handed Cayless his first-grade debut in his first season in the job and also made him the Eels’ long-term captain in a one-club NRL career which would end in 2010 after 259 appearances, 217 of them as skipper.

After making his Kiwi debut in 1998, Cayless’ 38th and last Test was the 2008 Rugby League World Cup final when led the Kiwis to their historic win over Australia.

Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney as well as assistant coaches Stacey Jones and Tony Iro also have ties with Cayless through their Kiwi playing careers (and as Kiwi coach and captain for Kearney and Cayless in 2008).

Like all three of his former New Zealand team-mates, Cayless has been developing his coaching credentials in recent years.

He has coached Parramatta’s SG Ball side and also been assistant coach of the Eels’ National Youth Competition side before stepping into the coach’s job with the Wentworthville Magpies in the Intrust Super Premiership midway through the 2016 season. He continued in the role again last season and this year.

Cayless coached the Junior Kiwis against the Junior Kangaroos and joined new Kiwi coach Michael Maguire as an assistant for this year’s one-off Test against England in Denver in June. He will again work with Maguire for the October 13 Test against the Kangaroos at Mount Smart Stadium.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Man Parra is in horrible shape, losing a lifer like Cayless now.. Great news re Luke, that deal is a bargain for us.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Kearney getting the band back together with the signing of Cayless....or jobs for the boys....depending on how you look at it.

Im open minded about bringing people to the Warriors. Coaches tend to get turned over a lot in lower grades, the more Rugby league minds they use from different quarters the better.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
One of my favorite non warrior players ever.
Considering all the injuries he had it was amazing what he achieved.
I was super stoked for him when he held up that World Cup trophy:happy:

My mate Nathan Cayless is misunderstood, by Nathan Hindmarsh
EXCLUSIVE by Nathan Hindmarsh, DailyTelegraph
April 10, 2010 12:00am

FIRST time I ever met Nathan Cayless he brushed me. Honestly. Walked right by like, somehow, he was blind to this scrawny Robertson bushie standing before him nodding and saying g'day.
That was 16 years ago. I was playing SG Ball and Nath, only 18 months older, was already training with Presidents Cup.

He had an aura about him then. He still does. Which is why I want to dedicate this column to one of the most courageous, yet misunderstood, footballers I've ever known.

So today, after 203 games together, I want to let you have a look through my eyes - let you see Nathan Cayless carting the ball out of our quarter when I'm having a bludge set; see him playing on with broken arms, bung knees, torn hamstrings. See him still going against Cronulla last weekend with the game gone and that head wound requiring six stitches.

But that's Nath. He never gives up.

And that's why after 14 years, two Grand Finals and a World Cup triumph, you can still find the big unit alone in our gym most nights, working on a routine he reckons will improve his game. Why after training he has an ice bath and hot Painaway tub. Why he stretching alone at home for hours each day so, come the 80th minute, his body won't let down the guy inside or out.

This is what the critics don't understand. They see those old knees charging but not the daily physio sessions required to keep them rolling. They see the arm pushing off another defender without feeling the metal plates beneath the skin.

Never truly getting what it means for a footballer to have his bookend leader win him a game with his first ever field goal.

For years people have asked what keeps me going in games. Well, the truthful answer is Nathan Cayless. Especially late when I'm stuffed, he's stuffed, and there he goes running again. It's why whenever people approach me afterwards saying "great effort Hindy, you never stopped", I always ask them if they watched our No. 8.

But still Nath's best attribute remains his aura. He walks into a room and you feel it change. Gives a stare at training and players shut up. And switch on.

Like a big silverback he doesn't need to say anything, for everyone knows he's boss.

And it's been that way ever since 2000. When aged 22, and with only 11 run-on games to his credit, our coach Brian Smith made him captain of the Eels. Of course, there were a lot of people scratching their heads at that one too. Asking how Smithy would choose a young bloke from Wentworthville ahead of Jim Dymock and Jason Smith. Ahead of Gary Larson and Dean Schiffiliti.

But for those of us inside that Eels squad, who played, trained and busted a gut alongside him, there wasn't even a choice to be made. Nathan Cayless was, and still is, our greatest leader.

That's how the bloke has always looked through my eyes, anyway. All courage and calm. Authority and grit. Tearing his hamstring in that first charge of the 2009 Grand Final before going on to make another dozen.

It's why Nathan Cayless is going to be remembered among the Eels' greatest players. Among the game's most inspirational leaders, who come Monday night at Parramatta Stadium will still be giving his all as the crowd counts down those final 10 seconds.

Honestly, I could never imagine running on to the field behind anyone else.

Reaction score

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
One of my favorite non warrior players ever.
Considering all the injuries he had it was amazing what he achieved.
I was super stoked for him when he held up that World Cup trophy:happy:

My mate Nathan Cayless is misunderstood, by Nathan Hindmarsh
EXCLUSIVE by Nathan Hindmarsh, DailyTelegraph
April 10, 2010 12:00am

FIRST time I ever met Nathan Cayless he brushed me. Honestly. Walked right by like, somehow, he was blind to this scrawny Robertson bushie standing before him nodding and saying g'day.
That was 16 years ago. I was playing SG Ball and Nath, only 18 months older, was already training with Presidents Cup.

He had an aura about him then. He still does. Which is why I want to dedicate this column to one of the most courageous, yet misunderstood, footballers I've ever known.

So today, after 203 games together, I want to let you have a look through my eyes - let you see Nathan Cayless carting the ball out of our quarter when I'm having a bludge set; see him playing on with broken arms, bung knees, torn hamstrings. See him still going against Cronulla last weekend with the game gone and that head wound requiring six stitches.

But that's Nath. He never gives up.

And that's why after 14 years, two Grand Finals and a World Cup triumph, you can still find the big unit alone in our gym most nights, working on a routine he reckons will improve his game. Why after training he has an ice bath and hot Painaway tub. Why he stretching alone at home for hours each day so, come the 80th minute, his body won't let down the guy inside or out.

This is what the critics don't understand. They see those old knees charging but not the daily physio sessions required to keep them rolling. They see the arm pushing off another defender without feeling the metal plates beneath the skin.

Never truly getting what it means for a footballer to have his bookend leader win him a game with his first ever field goal.

For years people have asked what keeps me going in games. Well, the truthful answer is Nathan Cayless. Especially late when I'm stuffed, he's stuffed, and there he goes running again. It's why whenever people approach me afterwards saying "great effort Hindy, you never stopped", I always ask them if they watched our No. 8.

But still Nath's best attribute remains his aura. He walks into a room and you feel it change. Gives a stare at training and players shut up. And switch on.

Like a big silverback he doesn't need to say anything, for everyone knows he's boss.

And it's been that way ever since 2000. When aged 22, and with only 11 run-on games to his credit, our coach Brian Smith made him captain of the Eels. Of course, there were a lot of people scratching their heads at that one too. Asking how Smithy would choose a young bloke from Wentworthville ahead of Jim Dymock and Jason Smith. Ahead of Gary Larson and Dean Schiffiliti.

But for those of us inside that Eels squad, who played, trained and busted a gut alongside him, there wasn't even a choice to be made. Nathan Cayless was, and still is, our greatest leader.

That's how the bloke has always looked through my eyes, anyway. All courage and calm. Authority and grit. Tearing his hamstring in that first charge of the 2009 Grand Final before going on to make another dozen.

It's why Nathan Cayless is going to be remembered among the Eels' greatest players. Among the game's most inspirational leaders, who come Monday night at Parramatta Stadium will still be giving his all as the crowd counts down those final 10 seconds.

Honestly, I could never imagine running on to the field behind anyone else.
Hindy should right more stuff .He's got a nice style .
But a very positive piece on Cayless .Hindy musnt want the glare
At the next Parra function .

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Kearney getting the band back together with the signing of Cayless....or jobs for the boys....depending on how you look at it.
SK doesn't do random, SK doesn't give jobs to the boys, SK is a totally focused professional.
Any wonder why SK has him coaching ISP? Cayless will probably a FG coach one day. It takes balls for a FG coach to appoint a potential one to coach the reserves. One famous All Blacks coach wrote that you never appoint anybody to assist who might be good enough to replace you.

Reaction score
ttkk19

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
SK doesn't do random, SK doesn't give jobs to the boys, SK is a totally focused professional.

Any wonder why SK has him coaching ISP? Cayless will probably a FG coach one day. It takes balls for a FG coach to appoint a potential one to coach the reserves. One famous All Blacks coach wrote that you never appoint anybody to assist who might be good enough to replace you.
It's all right here...

"Key to his role is transitioning our players from the ISP to the NRL and ensuring they're much better prepared for it.

"Nathan is ideally equipped to help us really lift in this area through the past experience he has as a player and captain for both the Kiwis and Parramatta and now through his coaching background. He understands better than anyone what is needed."- Brian Smith

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/107513841/nathan-cayless-signs-twoyear-deal-with-the-warriors

Seems like his FG experience is what they're really after. If his main job is to develop these Junior/reserve graders into first graders I can definitely see the reserve team's performances suffering. Wouldn't mind it though as the whole point of the reserve team is to supplement and help the success of the FG team.

To your second point, I don't think Cayless is experienced enough to be considered a serious threat/ possible replacement for Kearney yet. From my understanding he's only held head coaching positions for Junior/reserve sides so far, would need at least a few seasons as assistant to FG side before being in any kind of consideration for a head coaching gig.

Reaction score

Centurion

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's all right here...

"Key to his role is transitioning our players from the ISP to the NRL and ensuring they're much better prepared for it.

"Nathan is ideally equipped to help us really lift in this area through the past experience he has as a player and captain for both the Kiwis and Parramatta and now through his coaching background. He understands better than anyone what is needed."- Brian Smith

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/107513841/nathan-cayless-signs-twoyear-deal-with-the-warriors

Seems like his FG experience is what they're really after. If his main job is to develop these Junior/reserve graders into first graders I can definitely see the reserve team's performances suffering. Wouldn't mind it though as the whole point of the reserve team is to supplement and help the success of the FG team.

To your second point, I don't think Cayless is experienced enough to be considered a serious threat/ possible replacement for Kearney yet. From my understanding he's only held head coaching positions for Junior/reserve sides so far, would need at least a few seasons as assistant to FG side before being in any kind of consideration for a head coaching gig.
Agree, he doesn't pose a threat at all to Kearney in terms of coaching experience.

they still haven't name anyone for Jersey Flegg side yet either;

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
To your second point, I don't think Cayless is experienced enough to be considered a serious threat/ possible replacement for Kearney yet.
It only takes a few losses on the trot for that to change. My comment was a throwaway from Laurie Mains book. My guess is Sk wouldn't have given it any thought at all, the guy is totally focused on what is ahead, not covering his arse.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
'Very professional set-up here' - Cayless
Former World Cup-winning Kiwi captain Nathan Cayless talks to Vodafone Warriors TV about his move to the club.
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/12/14/enjoying-everyday-being-here-cayless/

I found this clip a good watch. I expected the usual PR dribble but was pleasantly surprised. This guy is really focused. He and his family have made major sacrifices to come to the Warriors so there is no doubt he is committed and that will flow through to the players. Of note was his mention of his attachment to NZ because of his Maori heritage but his wife and kids are Aussies so they are making a big commitment as well.

Reaction score

Centurion

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
'Very professional set-up here' - Cayless
Former World Cup-winning Kiwi captain Nathan Cayless talks to Vodafone Warriors TV about his move to the club.
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/12/14/enjoying-everyday-being-here-cayless/
I found this clip a good watch. I expected the usual PR dribble but was pleasantly surprised. This guy is really focused. He and his family have made major sacrifices to come to the Warriors so there is no doubt he is committed and that will flow through to the players. Of note was his mention of his attachment to NZ because of his Maori heritage but his wife and kids are Aussies so they are making a big commitment as well.
I think he'll prove a really good pick up especially in that developmental, transitional space. He certainly exudes mana. An awesome leader both on and off the field in his playing days.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Falcon

The Falcon

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
I think he'll prove a really good pick up especially in that developmental, transitional space. He certainly exudes mana. An awesome leader both on and off the field in his playing days.
I’m really excited about the development of the football department, the guys who have arrived have plenty to offer both culturally and and tactically with a track record of working with young players forging their path. Last seasons ISP and particularly Jersey Flegg coaches were out of their depth. The future of the club is development complimented by a smattering of significant external signings.
Can’t wait for the new season!

Top Bottom