Nathan Brown 1.JPG
Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
After the Raiders comeback game Browns head must be spinning, him and Gus.

They know now, they are on the Rollercoaster well and truly along for the ride.

Brown often looks stressed out in the Coaching box, he better get used to it.

I am sure he must be going out of his mind about the forward talent he has at his disposal.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I'm still not sold on Brown, but good signs with RTS saying the team were specifically told to target the injured Scott constantly.

Team selection this week will be a big test. If he opts for Montoya over Hayze to replace Hiku (MCL) then I'll be deeply un happy. Montoya is the definition of plod. I'd also hope to see Pompey never ever kick a restart again.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
I'm still not sold on Brown, but good signs with RTS saying the team were specifically told to target the injured Scott constantly.

Team selection this week will be a big test. If he opts for Montoya over Hayze to replace Hiku (MCL) then I'll be deeply un happy. Montoya is the definition of plod. I'd also hope to see Pompey never ever kick a restart again.
I thought he was signed for his speed, the thing we lack out wide

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 1, 2015
Nathan Brown is fantastic on NRL360
He was good nathan brown. Also interesting show tonight discussing the issues at the cowboys. A disconnection between players and todd payten and buzz/hooper heard news taumalolo and holmes with agents had a secret lunch last saturday. Its that bad at the cowboys. If things do go bad for toddy, hope our club has their door open for him for a possible return.

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
He's got a long way to go before he beats Mooks' record of 7 straight wins, albeit with an inferior pack and better halves. Any high school coach would tell them to target the guy with busted ribs.
Thought it was six in a row and St George kept their run going to seven, then we beat them the following for both to have 7/8, but whatever.

Im not seeing anything not to like about Browny. I like his footy sense, his measured patient approach to a long season and he seems to have his finger on the pulse of the team.
Haven’t seen senseless, stubborn selections and most times I’ve been surprised by something it’s for the better.

Yeah I’m supportive, anyone after Steve was going to be a relief but I feel he’s more than that.

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
I'll have to watch, looking forward to how he describes the game that i have classified as most brain dead performance ever.
What even more than when we led Penrith 32-6 with 30mins to go in Penrith and drew the game?! Or when they pummeled us 66-6 (or something like it). This one wasn’t close to the most brain dead performance ever IMO.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Early days but he's doing ok at the moment. Very measured and articulate but might be a bit different behind closed doors.
He seems a bit pressured up in the box but hey, when you're down 21-6 and it's not even half time, legit.

Don't think he's the type of coach that would throw his players under a bus.

Whoever is the defensive coach needs a rocket

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Watched Browny on NRL360. Impressive. Obviously done that kind of thing several times before, honest enough to admit BMM's try was suss but implied it's swings and roundabouts.

Second best media performance of the weekend behind Maguire's on the Matty Johns show. If he's f-bombing when you can imagine he's been media trained to Never. Ever. Swear. On. TV within an an inch of his life, his attitude in the dressing room would not be for the kiddies to see on prime-time tv....

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Early days but he's doing ok at the moment. Very measured and articulate but might be a bit different behind closed doors.
He seems a bit pressured up in the box but hey, when you're down 21-6 and it's not even half time, legit.

Don't think he's the type of coach that would throw his players under a bus.

Whoever is the defensive coach needs a rocket
Pretty sure Justin Morgan is the defence coach.

danyooll

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 17, 2014
I liked what Brown said when asked about playing a conservative brand of footy on NRL 360

For those who missed it

He said that since the team had only one month of pre-season together, they had to play a bit more conservative for the first couple of rounds including the trial game.

More importantly, he acknowledged that we have to start “playing some footy”, recognising the ability of our forwards offloading/passing the ball around, halves taking the line on etc. He spoke about the second half of the raiders game and our ability to score nice tries.

I don’t think I ever recall SK talk about our attack like that at all, correct me if I’m wrong. But it seems like Brown is not SK V2.0, no more boring footy hopefully

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Amusing that Brown outlined how it was going to be prior to round 1 and many fans are really only catching on now to his messaging which hasn’t changed in almost a month, and there’s been some shit written in that time! lol.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Amusing that Brown outlined how it was going to be prior to round 1 and many fans are really only catching on now to his messaging which hasn’t changed in almost a month, and there’s been some shit written in that time! lol.
I am hopeful, but not convinced. I really really hope i have to eat my words at the end of this year, but if it werent for RTS the game sat, would have been very very different. Then the warriors would have been 1 for 3 and i just cant see RTS being able to prop the whole team up every week for the rest of this year. Ok they need time to Jell, but seriously why did they wait so long to pull the team together. I and many many other people picked the comp as running out of australia for at least the first 6 weeks this year back in October. As coach he should have had them together long before and then he wouldnt have this excuse.

I so want to be wrong about him, i just worry im not.

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney Rate Match

Last Game

18 Apr

20 - 14
7.2 Total Avg Rating
7.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 4.9
    Peta Hiku

Compiled from 18 ratings