Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Nathan Brown wasn't the people's choice to get the poison chalice as Warriors coach.

Not the most accomplished coach, but certainly experienced. Take away the Newcastle part of his journey and his strike rate is ok.

Doesn't seem to have the spin of Elliot or Bluey, seems pragmatic as far as expectations are concerned and obviously passionate, something I value. More the Mark Graham type of coach, but seems to be able to articulate himself.

Obviously he and Pos must be on the same page as the recruitment is almost the best in our history for a given season apart from the first.

Obviously a long way to go, but expectations as far as Warrior fans go may have had a few reality checks over the years and I think giving Brown a decent crack before we start a sack the coach page is required.

I agree that the squad is potentially top 8 but not top 4, will be interesting to see how Brown develops his young players and picks his team.
I wonder if the nrl gods have fallen his way. As an exhooker his coaching is probably weighted towards taking advantage of more mobile smaller players, like hookers and halves, (rather than bust it up the guts forwards, or prop wings). The advent of the 6 again rule this year has encouraged a type of mobility we havent seen since the late 90s, creating space and a more flowing type of game.
However the bottleneck now seems to be inside the opposition 20 with teams now willing, even may i speculate eager to give away penalties to stop try's being scored. I suspect its even worse trying to score inside the 10 now. Ball movement is going to be key to opening gaps to creating opportunities against the less disciplined sides. Sheer perseverance is probably what will make the difference against the better teams in a new style grind fest of try and wear down the other teams defenders, by keeping the ball alive

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
I gotta say ... the more I hear & read from Brown the more optimistic I am becoming about season 2021 & beyond.

Then again ... I also initially felt that SK could be the man to lead us to the promised land.

So much so that I wrote a novel length post about why I was very optimistic about his initial signing as head coach.

So all I'll say on Brown is ... best of luck for 2021 & beyond coach.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Then again ... I also initially felt that SK could be the man to lead us to the promised land.
Don't worry, SK had a rat shite NRL record, and that continued.

Brown's NRL record, including at the Knights leaves Kearney's for dead. I will be happy if that continues.

Kearney was a much better player than Brown, there is no comparison. There is no comparison as a coach either.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Some take away from the interview:

- big forwards an issue with the game speeding up? He pointed out Melbourne had one of the bigger packs and they won this year so he doesn’t think it’s a problem. A big guys always creates more problems than a little guy.

- in Australia. They are over there until the end of term 1 for the players families schooling and if they extend it would be for another school term? Another 10 weeks?

- Young guns - our success is tied up with the younger guys pushing on as much as the new recruits. Some key players ‘still in nappies’. Sounds like CTH, Nikorima and Egan are pretty key to our fortune and I got the impression they are a year or two away from being where they need to be really be up there as a side.

- younger backs - made a comment that your young guys that came through last year are not ready yet and Aitken will provide experience for them.

Great interview!

Last edited:

Motota

U20's Player
Mar 9, 2020
Some take away from the interview:

- big forwards an issue with the game speeding up? He pointed out Melbourne had one of the bigger packs and they won this year so he doesn’t think it’s a problem. A big guys always creates more problems than a little guy.

- in Australia. They are over there until the end of term 1 for the players families schooling and if they extend it would be for another school term? Another 10 weeks?

- Young guns - our success is tied up with the younger guys pushing on as much as the new recruits. Some key players ‘still in nappies’. Sounds like CTH, Nikorima and Egan are pretty key to our fortune and I got the impression they are a year or two away from being where they need to be really be up there as a side.

- younger backs - made a comment that your young guys that came through last year are not ready yet and Aitken will provide experience for them.

Great interview!
Did anyone get the idea that hiku wont be sticking around next season as he said Aitken was brought in for experience within the centres?

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
I found it interesting that Brown barely mentioned Payten in that Playmaker interview.

He mentioned Kearney multiple times as being the reason he has inherited some good key systems, good young players etc.

But from recollection he only mentioned Payten once in passing.

Admittedly I might be reading too much into it ... but I still found it interesting.

I also love that a priority for Brown is local junior development & that a big part of Gould's role is to find a way to form a synergy between the NZRL, the ARL & the Warriors.

That's awesome to hear & long LONG overdue, but it's also a longstanding political minefield that many before have tried & failed to navigate.

Good luck Gus.

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Good trolling there by Brown, he snuck in a almost judge me by round 6 comment at about the 48 minute mark!

Good interview.

Looking forward to the new season.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

Rugby league: Warriors coach Nathan Brown hopes to nurture consistency and growth in club's new era​

The Warriors are in a lull, and new coach Nathan Brown knows it.

Over their past nine NRL seasons, the Warriors have only qualified for the finals series once – a first-round exit against the Penrith Panthers in 2018.

"No club is happy with that," Brown said of the team's poor strike rate over the past decade.

"There are plenty of other clubs in the eight that have had bad runs for periods of time. We all want the same thing, and it's easy to talk about at this time of the year but much harder to do."

After spending the first part of the off-season working in two groups – with one based in Auckland and another in Kiama, New South Wales – the club assembled as one in Tamworth last week where they will work for a month before moving to Terrigal for the start of the season.

For at least the first four rounds of the competition, they will base themselves in Terrigal with the hope of returning to Auckland in early April for their fifth-round match against the Manly Sea Eagles. But unlike in 2020, the club had time to plan their stay across the Tasman, with family and a larger group of players and staff making the trip.

After needing to loan players from other teams last year, the Warriors have a group of more than 40 players in Australia this season which includes a number of the club's young stars.

Brown said with the team being together in the environment every day, it would only help growth.

"It's about gaining consistency and getting some growth out of our junior players.

"We're very happy with our squad. We've got a big blend at the moment of about 42 blokes; there's a real blend of experience. There's a broad range in the squad at the moment which is great.

"The boys had some good wins at different stages last year but we'd like to get some consistency about what we're doing and that's a real challenge; easy to talk about, hard to do."

New recruit Bayley Sironen, who joined the club on a three-year deal this season after two years with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, echoed Brown's comments on the squad, with the young second rower excited by the potential of the group.

1610395002051.png

"That was one of the reasons I was so excited to come here," Sironen said. "The recruitment and the way they performed last year under so much pressure.

"We've started really well in this training camp and we're looking forward to seeing what we can do."

Rugby league: Warriors coach Nathan Brown hopes to nurture consistency and growth in club's new era - NZ Herald

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Don't worry, SK had a rat shite NRL record, and that continued.

Brown's NRL record, including at the Knights leaves Kearney's for dead. I will be happy if that continues.

Kearney was a much better player than Brown, there is no comparison. There is no comparison as a coach either.
r u aware that SK actually has a better win rate recently. NB has 2 wooden spoons TWO. SK none.
i love the enthusiasm for the guy, and i hope but looking backwards doesnt fill me with enthusiasm.
in saying that im onboard as a warriors fan from here to death do us part.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
r u aware that SK actually has a better win rate recently. NB has 2 wooden spoons TWO. SK none.
i love the enthusiasm for the guy, and i hope but looking backwards doesnt fill me with enthusiasm.
Maybe I should be expressed then

Reactions: PNG Kiwi

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 1, 2015
Ahh i think SK has one wooden spoon with para. The newcastle club was already in shit before NB got there because of bad decisions from their owner nathan tinkler.. People forget that.

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Brown actually recruited pretty well for the Knights
Extremely well. They were a basket case before he turned up. He did the job, cleaned out dead wood, recruited some of the best players in the comp and has set them up for future success. He inherited the shittest team, terrible squad and an organisation on the rocks.

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
Said it before and I'll say it again, the Knights fans I've spoken to really rated Nathan Brown and what he did - and were very bitter at the playing group/club for what happened.

His assignment was a shit sandwich and he pulled the club out of the gutter. His success at the Knights shouldn't be judged on their performances, given the circumstances.

Melbourne Storm Central Coast Stadium, Gosford Rate Match

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings