Kestrel84

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
While I still believe that Brown could be sacked at any stage, and I'm still on the fence whether Brown has the ability to do anything with our squad... Isn't one of our constant complaints been the continual sacking of coaches and proceeding shake up? Fonzie and the TWL crew touched on this with Simon Mannering on the podcast - it really stops your ability to build to anything.

We seem to be recruiting well (and whether that is because Brown is a player magnet or Craig Hodges is a smart/smooth operator) and there seems to be a lot of work going into building the culture of the club.

Maybe Mark Robinson is genuine and he agrees - we can't just sack someone and start again every time. Maybe this is the way forward, like it or not.

Or maybe he will sack Brown tomorrow. I dunno.

Reactions: 10 users

PNG Kiwi

I think they are stuck with Brown but next year they may build the coaching team up and possibly move Brown as a head of football type of position.
Remember we are away from home and the home fan base

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Burncity warrior

While I still believe that Brown could be sacked at any stage, and I'm still on the fence whether Brown has the ability to do anything with our squad... Isn't one of our constant complaints been the continual sacking of coaches and proceeding shake up? Fonzie and the TWL crew touched on this with Simon Mannering on the podcast - it really stops your ability to build to anything.

We seem to be recruiting well (and whether that is because Brown is a player magnet or Craig Hodges is a smart/smooth operator) and there seems to be a lot of work going into building the culture of the club.

Maybe Mark Robinson is genuine and he agrees - we can't just sack someone and start again every time. Maybe this is the way forward, like it or not.

Or maybe he will sack Brown tomorrow. I dunno.
Yeah, i don't think he does anything with us. But as you said, sometimes we just have to stick and faith we are building towards something. Was an interesting article the other day where CG said 2025 was the year, Robbo said yesterday 2024..as I said, I don't think Brownie is capable of delivering us a Premiership ever but I also don't see this great roster every one else sees that he has to work with.. my pick is we are building for a tilt at glory around 2025 on the back of a spine with Volkman, Metcalf and Walsh..if they do sack him it has to be proven Premiership winning coaches to replace him.

Reactions: 1 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Half the game is about inducing fatigue on the opposition so it's no surprise the best teams look better conditioned.

We've gone through the same pool of trainers, have access to the same sports science etc.. we are not significantly less fitter than our oppositions.

Better teams are just better at inducing and punishing fatigued players.
they way the body shapes change at some of these high flying clubs is outrageous, so im not sure we have quite the same access to ... sport science.

but they can flog them from november to february next year and it won't really matter if they continue to be so confused with their tactics on the field.

when the all blacks almost never lost, other teams would say how fit they are, its not fair, how can they have so much more energy, they really weren't being injected with super-serum, they just all knew their roles and had so much confidence going into games, it looked like they were flying on the field, because they knew what to do and could do it at pace.

Then they lost their way a bit, coaching never evolved, other teams caught up, they still have the same S+C people who were considered world leading, they just don't have faith in the way they play anymore, they react slower, they are more confused and they look underpowered and unprepared against other top teams. and some of the players aren't as good as before.

Penrith don't play very elaborate or complicated footy, their backs take an ungodly amount of one out runs, they just do it so well, their forwards can save their energy for smothering defence and they win field posistion, and wear down the opposition and thats just what they do - and they have nathan cleary.

Whoever the coach is needs to find something that works for his cattle and just hone it to the point where thinking and doubting and being confused doesn't come into it as much.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Flaco

Flaco

While that is true, the ability to handle fatigue are different plus it is also conditioning rather than fitness. You look at the top teams and the game plan requires the players to have a different build. They have a lower fat content.

Our boys are fit for their weight - no doubt about that. But the top teams are training higher performance athletes and getting a couple of percent more gains out of their players, which adds up over the game.

Honestly, when you watch the top teams playing each other it looks like a different game at a different level with the speed plus lack of fatigue induced errors.
The emphasis on physical fitness is fine, but it is easy to overlook the impact of decision fatigue on players. Muscles use oxygen, but the brain uses more. Maybe good teams fatigue the opposite not just by out-running or out-muscling them, but by forcing them to make more mental decisions than they are prepared for. To the extent the Warriors are predictable, the less the opposition has to make decisions.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Mr Dragon

Mr Dragon

Yeah, i don't think he does anything with us. But as you said, sometimes we just have to stick and faith we are building towards something. Was an interesting article the other day where CG said 2025 was the year, Robbo said yesterday 2024..as I said, I don't think Brownie is capable of delivering us a Premiership ever but I also don't see this great roster every one else sees that he has to work with.. my pick is we are building for a tilt at glory around 2025 on the back of a spine with Volkman, Metcalf and Walsh..if they do sack him it has to be proven Premiership winning coaches to replace him.
Walsh will be gone by then, one more year and off he goes

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Dunedin warrior

Last few weeks have been awful, but we are still 4 and 5, including 3 from 3 at our temporary home ground Redcliffe. I would think Browns going to get at least half a season back in Auckland next season before they make a decision on him.

Robinsons not going to want to pay out yet another coach and I doubt good coaches first preference will be teams with trigger happy owners.

bangbros18

bangbros18

Yeah he's got to come out and say something positive to defend his club and calm the fans down a bit..
Reading between the lines Mohawks just asking people to be patient while shit gets sorted as the seasons not over yet. Mind you the players themselves have said their a better team than what we've seen. And I actually agree now and then we get a glimpse of it, here and there but not the complete package.
Just need a spark to light the fire and personally I hope Brownie finds it soon.
Miles to soon to sack him though...
We havnt been able to unlock Walsh yet either, that could make all the difference if he can find some attacking spark. I may be wrong but I feel like Shaun Johnson is overpaying his hand and trying to outplay Walsh.

Just been watching Shaun's passing over the last few weeks and feel like he must see what Walsh can do and is trying to do that himself? Again just an observation not accurate at all. Would love Shaun to bring Walsh into the game more.

Reactions: 6 users

the borg

Actually this seasons results so far reminds me of a Bennett or Tim Sheens coached side.. a good team that fumbles their way through til about round 13..
Then they sit the team down and say if you still want to win the comp this year, then this is how you do it...
Then for some reason they're on their way up the ladder and peak in the finals.

Now I know Brownie aint no super coach, but the timing couldn't be better to do a Bennett/Sheens, turn the team around and charge up the ladder.
Wishfull thinking, probably, but the similarities are very uncanny..

Reactions: 8 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Actually this seasons results so far reminds me of a Bennett or Tim Sheens coached side.. a good team that fumbles their way through til about round 13..
Then they sit the team down and say if you still want to win the comp this year, then this is how you do it...
Then for some reason they're on their way up the ladder and peak in the finals.

Now I know Brownie aint no super coach, but the timing couldn't be better to do a Bennett/Sheens, turn the team around and charge up the ladder.
Wishfull thinking, probably, but the similarities are very uncanny..
Being saying since the start, hope your right, but i dont believe it. I aint seeing it. But Tohu Harris returns and hope reigns eternal.

Reactions: 1 user

the borg

We havnt been able to unlock Walsh yet either, that could make all the difference if he can find some attacking spark. I may be wrong but I feel like Shaun Johnson is overpaying his hand and trying to outplay Walsh.

Just been watching Shaun's passing over the last few weeks and feel like he must see what Walsh can do and is trying to do that himself? Again just an observation not accurate at all. Would love Shaun to bring Walsh into the game more.
Agree with you Bangbro .. Answer could be a number of things from the return of Tohu Harris or as simple as a private word or 2 to each player from the coach.. One main thing is to go out there and do your own job (period) and trust your mates to do theirs. Then there's no need to over play your hand or believe you have to do other players jobs as well, need to trust your mates and let them know that.. so they trust you..

Reactions: 3 users
Diesel

Diesel

Since there are two head coaches on the payroll, might explain why we do not have great assistant coaches. Perhaps if he surrounds himself with the right people, he keeps moving in the right direction.

6Again

The emphasis on physical fitness is fine, but it is easy to overlook the impact of decision fatigue on players. Muscles use oxygen, but the brain uses more. Maybe good teams fatigue the opposite not just by out-running or out-muscling them, but by forcing them to make more mental decisions than they are prepared for. To the extent the Warriors are predictable, the less the opposition has to make decisions.
It‘s such a well made point, and I don’t think it’s a maybe, good sides absolutely understand this which is why there are always players moving up and numbers around the ball on attack.

Reactions: 5 users