Nathan Brown 1.JPG
Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
I wonder if Brownie is feeling any pressure?

Huge expectations now for next year with the AFB signing and what Payten has achieved

I'm really hoping its top 8 min next year with NO EXCUSES

There are only 16 teams in the comp, so technically you've got a 50% chance to make the finals which is more than reasonable

I'm now ready for CG public announcement that next year will be our year!
We have a top 8 pack and top 8 backs. How well we do comes down to the 6,7,9. Imo if Egan and CHT kick on there’s no reason we aren’t top 4.

Citygirl

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
May 3, 2016
Christchurch
The last couple of things I've heard him say unfortunately don't leave me with a lot of confidence.

1. Bringing up RTS going to rugby union
2. One of the few things he said to the boys this week, "don't come back fat or lazy"

Real inspiring stuff.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
The last couple of things I've heard him say unfortunately don't leave me with a lot of confidence.

2. One of the few things he said to the boys this week, "don't come back fat or lazy"

Real inspiring stuff.

I'm not taking too much notice of the fat and lazy remark.

We don't know how it was delivered, for all we know he could have had a really good chat with them and ended with that in what would have been a light hearted moment

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I quite like that quote, also he said you will be left behind in NZ.
Finally competition for spots in the forwards, and also everyone will be all out to impress the new coach this year knowing Gould is watching too.

Yeah, I like that comment plus CHT saying 'It scared some of the big boys'. It' probably just our first 'TRAINING THE HOUSE DOWN' article for next year, but I'd like to think it was a very pointed comment towards the boys that chose to come home. Sort of in the vein of 'The rest of the squad proved they can excel without you. Your spot is not guaranteed because of your pay packet.'

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Most coaches would warn their players to not come back out of shape. It is part of enforcing the standards they want to keep. We have heard that talk before from the last few coaches the key thing is if he acts on it.

We have had a few coaches who have said they wouldn't play favourites, select on form and not reputation, require high standards. Then they continue to select the guys with some name value or experience.

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
The more I see the Knights play late in the Season, the better Brown looks.

This so called wonder Coach O’Brien has had his honeymoon period come and go amd already looks lost.

Not seeing anything largely different out of the Knights since the early ‘New Coach glow period’ wore off.

Perhaps another Bellamy wannabe.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014

Real inspiring stuff.
I think he's just Telling it like it is
Roger has been confirmed to stay ,An early so we can make plans .I think we can give brownie the win on that .
Telling the boys if they aren't ready come training .They will be left in NZ
Sounds fair .
I know we all miss toddy but he doesn't love us .

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 1, 2015

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Great stuff would like to learn more about him, good news were he said about coming from struggling clubs compaired to Brisbane Broncos, he may be able to see the weat from the cuffed with our guys.

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
Nathan Brown wasn't the people's choice to get the poison chalice as Warriors coach.

Not the most accomplished coach, but certainly experienced. Take away the Newcastle part of his journey and his strike rate is ok.

Doesn't seem to have the spin of Elliot or Bluey, seems pragmatic as far as expectations are concerned and obviously passionate, something I value. More the Mark Graham type of coach, but seems to be able to articulate himself.

Obviously he and Pos must be on the same page as the recruitment is almost the best in our history for a given season apart from the first.

Obviously a long way to go, but expectations as far as Warrior fans go may have had a few reality checks over the years and I think giving Brown a decent crack before we start a sack the coach page is required.

I agree that the squad is potentially top 8 but not top 4, will be interesting to see how Brown develops his young players and picks his team.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings