Attachments

• F9534B54-9F7A-407B-92B7-39D0876BA803.png
    F9534B54-9F7A-407B-92B7-39D0876BA803.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I was just listening to Mark Gasnier on Berrick Barnes' podcast an he rates Nathan Brown as the best coach he has played under, ahead of the likes of Bennett & Bellamy.
Mark Gasnier has both an arsehole, and an opinion, so do we all. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Worried2Death

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Should probably elaborate for those that didn’t listen to the podcast. What he was articulating was that if he had a young son Nathan Brown is who he’d like to have helping him learn his position and the game generally. Brown is widely considered an advanced thinker in this regard.

If Gaz was looking for a coach to get the best out of his young son Wayne Bennett is the coach he‘d choose, that‘s what I took from listening to the conversation. It’s a shame he’s not still with Fox tbh, he was a thoughtful analyst with a different opinion too much of the cliched comments many of us turn the sound down to.

Last edited:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Brown is widely considered an advanced thinker in this regard.
I have posted before he was a very intelligent player. Somebody questioned how come he didn't make rep honours?

St George were not strong then either.

There was a log jam of aging but top hookers around. IMO he was smarter than them, so the fact he didn't get rep honours didn't change my opinion.

I have more faith in him than the current ABs coach.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
I have posted before he was a very intelligent player. Somebody questioned how come he didn't make rep honours?
My main memory of Brownies playing years were of him having an outstanding couple of seasons at the back end of his career for the Dragons just prior to the neck injury. Not sure if that coincided with Buderus moving to Hooker and going on to become a staple for the Blues around the same time.

Reactions: playdaball

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Nathan Brown was a solid first grader & as 6Again mentions above his best years might have been his final two before injury struck him down. If my geography is correct he was eligible for NSW Country but didn't get a game for them as Ciriaco Mescia was preferred ahead of him for 3 straight years. I've no idea who Mescia is despite following the competition closely since '95

Reactions: bruce

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Nathan Brown was a solid first grader & as 6Again mentions above his best years might have been his final two before injury struck him down. If my geography is correct he was eligible for NSW Country but didn't get a game for them as Ciriaco Mescia was preferred ahead of him for 3 straight years. I've no idea who Mescia is despite following the competition closely since '95

He was known as Cherry Mescia and was pretty good. A household name in my formative years watching.

Tallis and Brown hit the scene at St George at about the same time, and it was pretty exciting watching them just prior to the Warriors coming into the comp. It is probably why they are good friends and Tallis was invited to mentor Walsh.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
There was a story around after the 99 gf that brown and mundine were all set to be named in the kangaroos that night then choc dropped the ball over the line, the storm pulled off a miracle comeback and both their names got a line put through them.
Think Craig gower got selected instead.

Reactions: bruce and Tragic

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney

There was a log jam of aging but top hookers around. IMO he was smarter than them, so the fact he didn't get rep honours didn't change my opinion.

3 grand finals during his playing days and 7/10 final series is pretty strong. Just some better hookers unfortunately for him

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The best players do not automatically become the best Coaches, the opposite really.

League and Union have untold stories of players who coulda, shoulda, woulda made it.

Brown has impressed me first season, this next season will answer questions.

Kearney, like the ABs Foster is a good assistant. Both are too tunnel visioned to see the big picture as head coaches.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
My main memory of Brownies playing years were of him having an outstanding couple of seasons at the back end of his career for the Dragons just prior to the neck injury. Not sure if that coincided with Buderus moving to Hooker and going on to become a staple for the Blues around the same time.
The best players do not automatically become the best Coaches, the opposite really.

League and Union have untold stories of players who coulda, shoulda, woulda made it.

Brown has impressed me first season, this next season will answer questions.

Kearney, like the ABs Foster is a good assistant. Both are too tunnel visioned to see the big picture as head coaches.
SK was a genuine rock star forward, one of the best ever. The only place he didn't stand out was at the Warriors.

Bellamy was only a run of the mill first grader, Bennett played a test or two for the Kangaroos when Queensland got token sections, even Gould was a run of the mill first grader.

Mind you a run of the mill first grader is still pretty good, but I hope you get the drift.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
SK was a genuine rock star forward, one of the best ever. The only place he didn't stand out was at the Warriors.

Bellamy was only a run of the mill first grader, Bennett played a test or two for the Kangaroos when Queensland got token sections, even Gould was a run of the mill first grader.

Mind you a run of the mill first grader is still pretty good, but I hope you get the drift.
The test for Brownie is whether he can get the best out of his players. A lot of that built around giving them the confidence and freedom to play their game, particularly those younger ones. But there‘s another test also, and that’s around establishing combinations. As an ex-player, dummy-half no less, he should have a very good understanding around the importance of that though we saw little evidence of it last season, injuries not withstanding.

Surprising too given how the chopping and changing of Warriors squad players through the Dolphins QRL side seemed detrimental Adam Mogg and his own combinations which I felt probably cost them in the finals.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

Cool story 😎

How did you find out he was intelligent ? You see his school records or something?

🎣 …..

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings