Nathan Brown 1.JPG
Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

WA supporter

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Mar 18, 2017
Perth
If someone with better computer skills than I can upload from ‘the roar’ website they have an opinion piece about N Brown

Flaco

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 7, 2020
If someone with better computer skills than I can upload from ‘the roar’ website they have an opinion piece about N Brown
Doesn't anything more than has been written dozens of times here, but this is the link:

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Doesn't anything more than has been written dozens of times here, but this is the link:

Do you think they ever come on here to check out how the fans are feeling?

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Yet George, Robinson and Autex clearly dont give a F what we think?

Do you think they ever come on here to check out how the fans are feeling/thinking over their blunders?
Bro you are in for a long three years.

I didnt want Brown, but I tell you this much for free, I didnt want Kearney, Cappy, Elliot, Payton, Iro, Bluey, Ivan, Graham, Kemp, Endacott....etc etc...

Once the Warriors have hired someone, it is much healthier to accept what your options are ....none....and try look for something positive.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Once the Warriors have hired someone, it is much healthier to accept what your options are ....none....and try look for something positive.
Yes I hear ya. But we do have options, that George and the owners need to be aware of. No longer being members or supporting the Warriors until they start delivering the goods is one, 27 years of investment and no return is not a fair trade.

For me its easier, I have St George to return to.

What is Browns salary? What are our options to sack him if he doesnt deliver? Rebuilding is a crock of ..., we had a top 4 spine leading into 2019 and likely a top 4 spot, but George dismantled it. So we cant be looking to rebuild if the idea is we tear down our best players and send them elsewhere.....

So if he clearly sucks as Im 99% sure he will. Have they negotiated an out clause?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sup42

The Batman

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
What style gameplan will Brown bring, will he modify or adapt to the plan Todd leaves behind? How did his Knights teams play and will that style transfer to Warriors?

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
What style gameplan will Brown bring, will he modify or adapt to the plan Todd leaves behind? How did his Knights teams play and will that style transfer to Warriors?
I can guarantee brown will sit down with Payton and have a thorough convo about what systems he’s done, and what’s worked/hasn’t. I too am disappointed that Payton is leaving, but we must also understand he is very emotionally invested with us now. He will want the best for this club, considering the sacrifices they’ve all made. Spending months together in a camp has done wonders to unite the group. Payton will share all he can to assist brown in the takeover, alongside Gus. I think we’ll be ok.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I hear Brown on the Triple M show before the Warriors game that he was going home to watch the game by himself and would miss the first 10 minutes. He also said he hasn't been calling anybody about the team. (Don't believe that)

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I hear Brown on the Triple M show before the Warriors game that he was going home to watch the game by himself and would miss the first 10 minutes. He also said he hasn't been calling anybody about the team. (Don't believe that)
oh no, i do believe it. I have had nightmares about him standing on high, telling the team how to play and watching reruns of 'The Bus Driver 2.0'
I have never felt so poorly about a coach recruitment as i do this time around. God I hope I am wrong

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
oh no, i do believe it. I have had nightmares about him standing on high, telling the team how to play and watching reruns of 'The Bus Driver 2.0'
I have never felt so poorly about a coach recruitment as i do this time around. God I hope I am wrong
Don’t worry, your concerns on Brown will prove to be as misguided as they were on SJ. It’s all good.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Don’t worry, your concerns on Brown will prove to be as misguided as they were on SJ. It’s all good.
Really, but didnt i say i would make my opinion known on SJ once we have seen if he can see out the season? Hows that going ... Where on the table are the sharks again?

Don't write my crystal ball off yet...

• Haha
Reactions: wizards rage

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Really, but didnt i say i would make my opinion known on SJ once we have seen if he can see out the season? Hows that going ... Where on the table are the sharks again?

Don't write my crystal ball off yet...
Well they’re a lot higher in the table than they would be if SJ wasn’t a Shark!

Seriously however, I think Brown will go well. The Knights team he had to rebuild would have made Bellamy look bad.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings