mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I think we can all take off our tinfoil hats about the Warriors being replaced by the Dolphins/Whoever wins the 17th spot in the NRL.

If the Warriors were dumped, the NRL would lose money from Warriors fans and New Zealand fans who hate the Warriors because they're bloody based in Auckland so they watch the NRL to see that bloody Auckland team lose. I think a New Zealand team, whether it's owned by Autex or whoever, is safe as houses. We're like Manly and it's place on the northern beaches. The NRL might get pissed off with the current owners enough to take the license off them, but:
There will always be an NRL team on the nothern beaches of Sydney.
There will - unless it self-destructs too many times - always be a New Zealand team in the NRL. That's not to say it would never shift to Christchurch or Wellington, but the NRL would fight to keep a New Zealand team alive in some form.

The worst situation we're facing is that Autex get pissed off enough that Mohawk says "Aw, bugger it!" and sells the joint. Someone will pick it up gladly. Hopefully the ARL have learnt from their previous experience that they should not be that someone. Same as the NZRL.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
What expansion? Who will they replace? The NRL are broke.
Extra 17th team. They must have had the talks with the broadcasters and be confident that the extra team will bring in more tham 1/17th increase in income from tv rights.

If that’s the case it’s irrelevant about the current finances. It more ensuring the team can be competitive.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
So much BS credit has gone to him over his supposed "rebuild" at the Knights.

People try to blame Bennett for Brown's repeated failures. Brown took over the Knights 2 seasons after Bennett left. Rick Stone/Danny Buderus managed to get 8 wins immediately after Bennett exited, Brown took 50 games to achieve that. In the space of 4 long years years he took an 8-win team to a 9-win one.
People trot out the line that Brown was left with a heap of back ended contracts which is far from true. Only Gagai, Chanel & Sione Mata'utia, Mullen, Korbin Sims, Jeremy Smith & Uate remained on the roster from Bennett's tenure. Who was on these big back ended contracts?
One of the first things he did at Newcastle was let Tariq Sims go (who was a co-captain) midseason, then he signed Jamie Buhrer on an inflated contract & brought in a 34 year old Anthony Tupou. Some of the other Brown recruits were an aging SKD, 34 year old Jacob Lillyman & 36 year old Chris Heighington. He did manage to get an up & comer in Ponga by paying him on potential & an out of favour Pearce but he was hardly a rebuilt extraordinaire

Last edited:

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
I think we can all take off our tinfoil hats about the Warriors being replaced by the Dolphins/Whoever wins the 17th spot in the NRL.
I have to agree..
but It is just weird how the Redcliffe Dolphins are favourites to be the 17th team and NOW the Warriors are to be based there for next season...
How Bizarre... How Bizarre.
Is that a clash of some sorts or what?
Strange Days Indeed!
I better mention Coach Brownie as to keep to subject.
Brownie, you said that this year was not a rebuild, but it certainly looked like it!

Reactions: Worried2Death

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
So much BS credit has gone to him over his supposed "rebuild" at the Knights.

People try to blame Bennett for Brown's repeated failures. Brown took over the Knights 2 seasons after Bennett left. Rick Stone/Danny Buderus managed to get 8 wins immediately after Bennett exited, Brown took 50 games to achieve that. In the space of 4 long years years he took an 8-win team to a 9-win one.
People trot out the line that Brown was left with a heap of back ended contracts which is far from true. Only Gagai, Chanel & Sione Mata'utia, Mullen, Korbin Sims, Jeremy Smith & Uate remained on the roster from Bennett's tenure. Who was on these big back ended contracts?
One of the first things he did at Newcastle was let Tariq Sims go (who was a co-captain) midseason, then he signed Jamie Buhrer on an inflated contract & brought in a 34 year old Anthony Tupou. Some of the other Brown recruits were an aging SKD, 34 year old Jacob Lillyman & 36 year old Chris Heighington. He did manage to get an up & comer in Ponga by paying him on potential & an out of favour Pearce but he was hardly a rebuilt extraordinaire
I like your attention to detail. Like a prosecution lawyer poking holes in the defences case.

The taking over from Bennett's mess is what all of the media mentions. Forgetting Stone who as you mentioned carried on with the squad and had two seasons to start refreshing the roster. It didn't have to be all of it but he could of started.

Its like two people involved in a crime. Bennett gets prosecuted and has a conviction hanging over him. Stone skips off without a mention.

• Haha
Reactions: Cces and Raw Power

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
If Brown was to be sacked like some people want, ask your self a serious question who'd be interested in the role.

I mean serious contenders not names like Toovey who hasn't coach in NRL for a long period of time or Walker Bros who are not coaching at all.

Think about it, the club has had procession of coaches so nobody would give up a stable job to join the club and the club has fired a coach after 12 months.

I'm seriously struggling to identify list of 4 names.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Its like two people involved in a crime. Bennett gets prosecuted and has a conviction hanging over him. Stone skips off without a mention.
Most people cover Brown with that teflon coating too. He let both Tapine (who was part of the Knights NYC winning team in 2014) & Starling leave under his watch (while hoping Slade Griffin recovered from his 4th ACL injury!).

Reactions: bruce

Geoff Public

Fold some clown
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
Most people cover Brown with that teflon coating too. He let both Tapine (who was part of the Knights NYC winning team in 2014) & Starling leave under his watch (while hoping Slade Griffin recovered from his 4th ACL injury!).
It was reported at the time Canberra offered 500k a year to Tapine. That was considered a lot for a player with 20 1st grade games behind him.
Brown would have liked to have kept him, but the dollars weren't right.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
If Brown was to be sacked like some people want, ask your self a serious question who'd be interested in the role.

I mean serious contenders not names like Toovey who hasn't coach in NRL for a long period of time or Walker Bros who are not coaching at all.

Think about it, the club has had procession of coaches so nobody would give up a stable job to join the club and the club has fired a coach after 12 months.

I'm seriously struggling to identify list of 4 names.

We don’t know the list of people that would apply because its not the couch potatoes job to hire the new coach

that’s CG job and that’s why he gets paid the big bucks

i want a new coach for Christmas!!

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
We're like Manly and it's place on the northern beaches. The NRL might get pissed off with the current owners enough to take the license off them, but:
There will always be an NRL team on the nothern beaches of Sydney.
I think that is more to do with competition from both yawnion and the AFL.

Interesting that they shafted the other northern Sydney club that was better managed and financed along the way.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Be great if Bennett joined as head of football or in an assistant role. Surely our defensive coach is moved on, we cannot have a coach that has sound defence one week but allows 40+ Put on us the next week. Justin Morgan is well below par and should be held accountable.
and therefore no threat to Brown as coach. ;)

Reactions: nakiproud

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I think in general Brownie is going OK, however he admits he is not a great motivator in the sheds or anything like that. Therefore I think he needs someone who knows the game and the players will respect.

Former players that come to mind are, Paul Gallen, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater. People of that ilk, you could call them 'Technical Director', or 'Official Arse Kicker' Former players who have been there, done that. Those who know the dressing rooms and mini skills mental and physical.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
It’s not an absolute certainty that a 17th team will enter the comp

Reactions: Akkerz and bruce

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player