Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

95forever

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 27, 2019
Here’s my two cents for what it’s worth. Execution and mental resilience on the field are out of any coaches control. From what I’ve seen errors have killed us. No coach can control people’s thoughts. If we cut down on errors we’ll start winning and that’ll start the right mental attitude.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
Are you kidding me?

so we “thank” brown for Chanel Harris-Tavita “development”?

the kid has been shit all season… and I’m being nice here…kicking, awareness, passing and playing in halves …. fucks himself up on the one thing he’s actually quite good at - tackling?!!!
I agree that his kicking game was seriously deficient but I really liked his general play. I thought the combination of Chanel Harris-Tavita and his lock (whether that was Tohu Harris or Jazz) really held defenders in the middle and created space for both Walsh on the left and Kodi on the right. I thought the attacking game was developing nicely in the middle of the season before injuries struck. It would be good to see him use his second rower more effectively but that attacking structure that operated similarly to Newcastle was creating opportunities, and I think Chanel Harris-Tavita digging into the line was a big part of that

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021
The buck stops with the coach. It just does, always has and always will and sometimes unfairly I might add.

The facts are this, Brown has been a NRL head coach for 10 years and had no real success. History tells us the best coaches have a premiership or two in that time or at least a grand final appearance.

To be fair he had a rebuild gig at Newcastle and now's he got one here at the warriors and he hasn't even had a home game this year. Who's to say where we'd be sitting on the ladder if some of those close losses were played at Mt smart?

My gut tells me he isn't the guy but we need to build some stability at the club too. Going around on this constant merry go round of coaches is probably worse than persevering with a mediocre coach as at least an average coach has time to grow and learn from his mistakes ie. Brad Arthur. Players get disillusioned by the constant changes too and become unhappy and want to leave.

I'm still in the "fuck the excuses" camp, but I'm happy to give him 8 rounds next year to see what he can toss up. If we aren't entrenched in the top 6 at the end of 8 rounds he has to go

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Here’s my two cents for what it’s worth. Execution and mental resilience on the field are out of any coaches control. From what I’ve seen errors have killed us. No coach can control people’s thoughts. If we cut down on errors we’ll start winning and that’ll start the right mental attitude.
Yeah I can hear Bellemy laughing right now, meanwhile the Storm players who come here generally relax whilst the Warriors players w that go there just can't cut it. Wonder why, mental resilience maybe or the coach..

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The buck stops with the coach. It just does, always has and always will and sometimes unfairly I might add.

The facts are this, Brown has been a NRL head coach for 10 years and had no real success. History tells us the best coaches have a premiership or two in that time or at least a grand final appearance.

To be fair he had a rebuild gig at Newcastle and now's he got one here at the warriors and he hasn't even had a home game this year. Who's to say where we'd be sitting on the ladder if some of those close losses were played at Mt smart?

My gut tells me he isn't the guy but we need to build some stability at the club too. Going around on this constant merry go round of coaches is probably worse than persevering with a mediocre coach as at least an average coach has time to grow and learn from his mistakes ie. Brad Arthur. Players get disillusioned by the constant changes too and become unhappy and want to leave.

I'm still in the "fuck the excuses" camp, but I'm happy to give him 8 rounds next year to see what he can toss up. If we aren't entrenched in the top 6 at the end of 8 rounds he has to go
This bit I have bolded has always interested me. A lot of coaches get a team going well and then they have a bad year or two and they get tossed aside. Would they end up a better overall coach if they were able to work through it. I think Gould has mentioned this in the past, it was how coaches used to grow and learn.

Back in the 2000's we had some success with Anderson and back then I thought it would be better to work through instead of ditching him after one bad season. I didn't know about the issues between him and the players. We did end up in a bit of a hole until Cleary was signed.

Like Arthur the Raiders were terrible when Stuart first arrived and he has built their side. Now they are having a rough year with a lot of rumours surrounding them. I'm interested to see if they see his time as being done there or if they let him work through it.

Brown is an experienced coach now, something we don't typically have at the Warriors. His history is a bit weird to judge with the Dragons being in a reasonable state for a rookie coach and then returning from England to rebuild the Knights who were in a mess.

I had a brief look at Brown's Wikipedia (not the best source I know). His best year at the Dragons was 2005 where they came 2nd and lost the preliminary final. 2006 they came 6th. 2007 they had injuries and missed the finals, 2008 they came 7th (we came 8th but lasted a few weeks, glory days). That isn't terrible but it was also a long time ago.

If we get rid of him we would hear about the role being a tough gig and perception would soon turn to reality. Not sure if we an appealing gig as were were 10 years or so ago. Sure there are only 16 jobs but a lot of coaches now are a bit more careful on what gigs they take especially if they have already been burnt once.

I think we need to get some stability. That is hard with the amount of injuries and the current situation the club is in. Next year with a season under him and an improved roster will be a good start to see some progress. I'd also like to see a bit more structures in place so we can see what they are trying to achieve when they have the ball.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings