Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
ah yes, because Brown's enviable record with those two in the spine bore such sweet fruit
Anything to do with playing a fullback for the first time in halves, I’ve heard that somewhere before recently lol … Brown gets credit from me for at least learning.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Seriously though our shitty halves are more responsible than the Coach right now. I get that argument… I don’t get this one, not right now.
Who selects our shitty halves? Who sends them out there with instructions not to give the ball to Walsh for the field goal in front of the sticks on the first and so on and so on..

The coach is responsible and the buck stops with him. If he doesn't tell them what to do and prepare them for situations then he's a glorified trainer. Seasoned players should know better but, is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck that smart? Is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck really going to like shifting to the wing for a newbie and how effective is leading from the wing when you've been slighted this way in front of all and sundry. The dummy even had a press conference about how kind and similar he is Mother Teresa and Jacinda Adern..

Brown has made some serious errors and he isn't new to this..

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Who selects our shitty halves? Who sends them out there with instructions not to give the ball to Walsh for the field goal in front of the sticks on the first and so on and so on..
Wait, you believe Egan didn't give Walsh the ball because the Coach told him not too? Are all your examples that extraneous? Nothing to do then with running the plays they've practised since preseason where the half-back takes the shot.

Your beef should be with Egan for not diverting from script and giving it to Walsh on the first tackle, as contrary as it that probably would've felt to him at the time.

The Walsh in the halves thing I'm not touching, I land on the side of all the arguments based around an 18 year old without the physical conditioning required to handle defending in the front line every week, preferring to keep him on the field in the position he knows best.

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
After their defeat last week, I watched the well coached Manly side, last night lift without their three best players available... Cherry and the Trbojevic Bro's

Our players, unlike the Manly players, are not showing much improvement (only recently Katoa!), not showing much resilience or much grit and seem to be stagnated in their individual performances.
Hasler is a Coach!
I am not saying we go after Hasler but just comparing ours with theirs!

Teeps4Shore

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 17, 2021
After their defeat last week, I watched the well coached Manly side, last night lift without their three best players available... Cherry and the Trbojevic Bro's

Our players, unlike the Manly players, are not showing much improvement (only recently Katoa!), not showing much resilience or much grit and seem to be stagnated in their individual performances.
Hasler is a Coach!
I am not saying we go after Hasler but just comparing ours with theirs!
Winning does that to a team - self belief builds. Manly were shit until Turbo single handedly turned their season around.

if he’s out, they are vulnerable.

they got lucky against us in game one. But beat us due to a turbo masterclass in game two.

always been a winning club.
we are learning how to be one.

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
Winning does that to a team - self belief builds. Manly were shit until Turbo single handedly turned their season around.

if he’s out, they are vulnerable.

they got lucky against us in game one. But beat us due to a turbo masterclass in game two.

always been a winning club.
we are learning how to be one.
But it was not so with Barrett in charge!

Reactions: brightman

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
Alright, I have to say this… compared to someone like Hasler…
IMO Brownie is a simpler coach, he seems to be implementing without a well thought out insightful overview plan for each individual player and how each can contribute and be of benefit to the whole performance of the team.
He seems to decide things and change things around on a weekly basis.
Yes we have had injuries but these should have been talked about as risks in planning or reassessing for and during the season.

Reactions: jsmooove and Tragic

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Alright, I have to say this… compared to someone like Hasler…
IMO Brownie is a simpler coach, he seems to be implementing without a well thought out insightful overview plan for each individual player and how each can contribute and be of benefit to the whole performance of the team.
He seems to decide things and change things around on a weekly basis.
Yes we have had injuries but these should have been talked about as risks in planning or reassessing for and during the season.
The luck around injuries has been unlucky to be fair. We get Townsend and the first tackle his shoulder is buggered with no penalty even. Addin Fonua-Blake and Aiken hyped and out for ages early on. Halves and centre’s constantly reshuffled pretty much game to game. Hasler couldn’t get wins until Tommy came back, key players and injuries do make a difference.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Have people underestimated the work Brown had done with Chanel Harris-Tavita? He was straightening the attack nicely and digging into the line to create space for his outsides. It was nothing flashy but it looked like he was happy to play that role and put his body on the line. The attack was no problem at that stage.
Are you kidding me?

so we “thank” brown for Chanel Harris-Tavita “development”?

the kid has been shit all season… and I’m being nice here…kicking, awareness, passing and playing in halves …. fucks himself up on the one thing he’s actually quite good at - tackling?!!!

Teeps4Shore

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 17, 2021
Hasler and Cleary are probably the only coachwho would fit our club. I’ll be controversial. I don’t think Madge or Craig Bellamy or Siebold or any other shouty aggressive coach would work at the warriors. Bennett would be great as a coaching director but I think he would struggle to get the same results with us as a coach.

Trent Robinson would be ok - but would he get the same success without uncle Nick in the background?

brown does fit. He’s a good coach. I’d love to see him have a season where he is at home with our team and everyone is settled. Strap in - he will be with us for another two seasons. He ain’t going nowhere. May as well get behind him?

Reactions: 3rdstriker

Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
May 29, 2012
Sydney
Have people underestimated the work Brown had done with Chanel Harris-Tavita? He was straightening the attack nicely and digging into the line to create space for his outsides. It was nothing flashy but it looked like he was happy to play that role and put his body on the line. The attack was no problem at that stage.
Chanel Harris-Tavita has been garbage this year.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
It is only right and proper that the Warriors take the lead against domestic violence, because they don't beat anyone.

Sorry, will get my coat.
Every child in the middle of a divorce between his/her parents always wants to live full-time at 2 Beasley Avenue, Penrose, Auckland 1061.

That's where the Warriors live.

And the Warriors, unlike Daddy, Mummy, Aunty Jane and Uncle Bob, Aunty Tania and Uncle Geoff, Nanna and Grandad, Pops and Gramma, Mum's Friend Sandy, Dad's Friend Paul etc etc, don't beat me and don't beat anybody!
Who selected these shitty halves... the coach....

You can only select the halves you've got. And he doesn't have Walsh as a half option.

I honestly don't see the point in playing Walsh at 6 for what remains of 2021 when he's definitely going to be playing 1 in 2022 when Tuivasa-Sheck's gone. Let's face it, is anyone saying Walsh is bad at Fullback? No. He's obviously not the finished product, but he's done good so far. So why would you move him?

And that's before you get into the "the fullback can play like another half" thing.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I honestly don't see the point in playing Walsh at 6 for what remains of 2021 when he's definitely going to be playing 1 in 2022 when Tuivasa-Sheck's gone
Let's face it, is anyone saying Walsh
is bad at Fullback? No.

Well we can all see he ain’t playing 6 cause of Browny. That’s the point.

Shaun Johnson 7 with Walsh 6 next to him?dreamy.

And buddy, is anyone saying he is better than Roger Tuivasa-Sheck at fullback ??? No.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings