Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
So the Warriors have an uncanny talent for picking dud Coaches. There are a couple of factors that have contributed to Warriors under performance before the Coaches are blamed.

Club management has been uniformly poor over the history of the Warriors, particularly as far as the football department goes. Right from the start we had knob ends like Robson saying they are in the entertainment business. Actually they are in the results business, which other NRL organisations understand. Less said about the Tainui time. Then into Watson's time.

The present owners give me hope, they are results driven. They are still finding their way but with Gould there and abouts they should be OK.

Player attitudes , there have been many who have done it right, the Simon Mannerings, however, there is an attitude that players get complacent and start cruising, Papalii admitted that. You don't need many players like that to be screwed.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
The football we've seen this year is exactly the football I said we'd see pre season.

Not Brown's fault that a bunch of fans on a forum had unrealistic expectations of a team that quite frankly was not very good and around bottom 4 quality.

We needed everything to go right to make the 8. It didn't, and we are about where we should be.

No coach was coming in and fixing things this year. That's why it's too early, because fans are so impatient they want everything fixed by one magical appointment that only exists in fantasy land.

I was against signing Brown, but now that he's here he at least should be given until next year to reshape the squad before impatience and unrealistic expectations turns to firing squad.
Yeah agree. I think the interesting thing is that he probably could have coached differently if he was just aiming for a top 8 spot (eg the Round 1 Titans game plan), but he seems to want to be able to play a style that will test the better sides. We are a long way off doing so but it seems like he has the confidence to be able to put some long term planning in place.

kos

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2013
At least he drops non performing players.
Including big names.
SK just left the same names out there week after week only changing the team if players died.
The team have been operating in very difficult circumstances with all this covid covid just going on and on and on.
Their current home in my street on the GC resembles a prison. Albeit with very good catering.

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
So the Warriors have an uncanny talent for picking dud Coaches. There are a couple of factors that have contributed to Warriors under performance before the Coaches are blamed.

Club management has been uniformly poor over the history of the Warriors, particularly as far as the football department goes. Right from the start we had knob ends like Robson saying they are in the entertainment business. Actually they are in the results business, which other NRL organisations understand. Less said about the Tainui time. Then into Watson's time.

The present owners give me hope, they are results driven. They are still finding their way but with Gould there and abouts they should be OK.

Player attitudes , there have been many who have done it right, the Simon Mannerings, however, there is an attitude that players get complacent and start cruising, Papalii admitted that. You don't need many players like that to be screwed.
Here's an article that also gives me faith in the current management.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
The football we've seen this year is exactly the football I said we'd see pre season.

Not Brown's fault that a bunch of fans on a forum had unrealistic expectations of a team that quite frankly was not very good and around bottom 4 quality.

A team with 5 marquee players Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Harris, Walsh, Addin Fonua-Blake, Lodge, DZW and a support cast of NZ rep players and STILL not good enough to make the top 8 in a competition of only 16 teams?

How can anyone accept such low standards? wasn’t the dream 4 years ago a top 4 finish by now? greatest franschise in all of Australasia … remember those unrealistic dizzy heights of expectations..

I wonder if Mark Robinson has any hair left ? I know I’d be tearing it out if I owned the place.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

It is only right and proper that the Warriors take the lead against domestic violence, because they don't beat anyone.

Sorry, will get my coat.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
At least he drops non performing players.
Including big names.
SK just left the same names out there week after week only changing the team if players died.
The team have been operating in very difficult circumstances with all this covid covid just going on and on and on.
Their current home in my street on the GC resembles a prison. Albeit with very good catering.
That itself could become a problem with player resentment, disillusionment and distrust. We all know how mentally fragile some players are.

Can imagine what a difficult life they lead living in a resort by the beach, playing golf and swimming every day. Very difficult circumstances. Wouldn’t want this on my worst enemy.

Last edited:

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
A team with 5 marquee players Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Harris, Walsh, Addin Fonua-Blake, Lodge, DZW and a support cast of NZ rep players and STILL not good enough to make the top 8 in a competition of only 16 teams?

How can anyone accept such low standards? wasn’t the dream 4 years ago a top 4 finish by now? greatest franschise in all of Australasia … remember those unrealistic dizzy heights of expectations..

I wonder if Mark Robinson has any hair left ? I know I’d be tearing it out if I owned the place.

Are you really including Lodge and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak when they've played a combined 3 games at round 18? Aitken has missed more games than he's played and Addin Fonua-Blake has missed a chunk of time too.

Walsh, an 18 yo kid. Special talent, but nowhere ready to take a game over consistently against anyone other than the bottom sides and again - he missed the entire preseason where combinations are forged.

Who are the support cast of NZ rep players? Kodi and Ah Mau.......and.....??? Hiku, Fusitua have been injured, Ken is gone

We started the year with the slowest backline and bottom four spine. That's a death sentence for any club with finals hopes unless everything goes right.

For the 10th time - everything did not go right.

What we're seeing now are changes to address those things, but that requires blooding youngsters, moving on and bringing in players this season and next, which can make cohesion very difficult even without injuries.

I'm fine for Brown to make the changes he wants and blood the youngsters he wants this year. I'm still expecting more changes to the roster to come. Next year is a different story, but this year isn't really giving me anything I didn't see coming regardless of coach.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012

We needed everything to go right to make the 8. It didn't, and we are about where we should be.

No coach was coming in and fixing things this year. That's why it's too early, because fans are so impatient they want everything fixed by one magical appointment that only exists in fantasy land.

I was against signing Brown, but now that he's here he at least should be given until next year to reshape the squad before impatience and unrealistic expectations turns to firing squad.
never expected anything but what were seeing to be honest.

However it would be nice to see a trend that went from losing to winning not the other way around.

Remember as the cattle have improved the results have gotten worse

Reactions: jsmooove

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
We started the year with the slowest backline and bottom four spine. That's a death sentence for any club with finals hopes unless everything goes right.
But they started this year with wins

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
never expected anything but what were seeing to be honest.

However it would be nice to see a trend that went from losing to winning not the other way around.

Remember as the cattle have improved the results have gotten worse

Have they though? Just looks like more of the same week to week imo. We live on a razor thin margin for victory and even a flipped coin isn't going to land your way every time just because it's 50/50.

Our spine is still bottom 4, our backs are still nothing to write home about. The issues that were there are still there, just now with more injuries and less cohesion.

Those earlier wins came with a healthier side. Of course things go downhill when every week key players are missing and bouncing in and out of the side.

Lodge and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak are not game changers. One provides a platform our shit spine can't take advantage of and the other relies on that same spine to provide opportunities.

Aslong as our spine is bottom 4 and shithouse the results will stay about the same with the only real difference being whether or not they do just enough or not enough for the W/L.

Remember that every 1 point loss we've had this year - we had the first FG shot. That's on the players, most importantly the spine to direct us then execute.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
yes sir, Kodi, Ah Mau, Ken, Hiku, Fusitua..

then you got Ben Murdoch-Masila from the mighty kingdom of Tonga, Jazz has played rep for Samoa, Jamayne Tounua-Brown for the indigenous All Stars ⭐️

Like come on man, how many good players do you need son?

Calling average players good just because they have some rep asterix by their name really doesn't help your case. If anything it highlights how much you're over rating some of them just because they have that Warriors jersey on.

Curran also played All Stars, Evans played for Fiji, Chanel Harris-Tavita was Samoa as well. Euan Aitken played for the mighty Scotland and the PM's13.

How the hell are our World All Star Rep Warriors not winning by 30 every week?

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

Sort of sounds like the press release the board full supports the coach...but their money is where their mouth is.

Reactions: Worried2Death

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
I’m sure the players will be relieved to know that some fans have already begun to turn their attention away from player responsibility in these close losses and have not only become selective around the context in which they occurred but have narrowed their focus onto the Coach.

Hell, I may join them! lol, would certainly make it more palatable to apportion blame to one person rather than deal with a bunch of players and uncontrollable variables that‘s for sure!

Yep, next time we‘re going down in a close one I’ll support that view on the Game-day thread and start ranting like a lunatic that it’s not the players it’s the coaches fault, I bet I’m a lone voice in the farken wilderness!.

Seriously though our shitty halves are more responsible than the Coach right now. I get that argument… I don’t get this one, not right now.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings