Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
I think the whole squads improved..
In terms of playing style and attack , whilst all I know about individuals is that Curran seems to be playing well under Brownie... he hasn't had that long though + a fairly disrupted preseason

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
Hard to say ... I think the team as a whole can improve heaps.. the trick is keeping the same mob on the field.. lots of injuries suspensions and player movements, have caused to much inconsistency IMO. Up until round 3 - 4 we had a more consistent line up although the results were ordinary there was room for vast improvement, with a few tweaks here and there. The last 10 rounds have been a band aid team, with no real pack leader and a spine with no smarts. With Addin Fonua-Blake and Walsh finally playing together, these two can take the game by the scruff of the neck and lead the rest to lift their game.. just have to wait and see, I suppose..

Reactions: Worried2Death

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
i hope nobody is disapointed in the warriors position on the ladder atm, N.B. average prior to joining the warriors 33 percent. this was so predictible at the start of the year. i really cant see what anyone including the owner can see in this guy.
the excuase about how its the players not the coach ignore the fact that players who gave us the best defence in the game now provide the worst.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I havent been following the NRL this year, just looking at results each week,
I'm surprised the Warriors aren't top 8 with their forward pack alone. Even with average halves I would have thought it would just be a case of letting the forwards eat meters and batter the middle, draw in opposition defenders and make space on the edges for the quick guys to get some easy metres.

Surely a coach should be able to turn the current Warriors roster into a top 8 team.
Brown was a questionable pick from the beginning, he's a bit like Kearney with a very mediocre history in the NRL

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I havent been following the NRL this year, just looking at results each week,
I'm surprised the Warriors aren't top 8 with their forward pack alone. Even with average halves I would have thought it would just be a case of letting the forwards eat meters and batter the middle, draw in opposition defenders and make space on the edges for the quick guys to get some easy metres.

Surely a coach should be able to turn the current Warriors roster into a top 8 team.
Brown was a questionable pick from the beginning, he's a bit like Kearney with a very mediocre history in the NRL
Nothing has changed in the time you have been away, except that the halves, really have been awful.

The Warriors were competing well, until Kearney ball wore off. Now it is back to inexplicable errors when the game is on the line, this has cost the Warriors potentially six narrow losses of six points or less.

Do the maths on that, bring back the high completions, and they are deep in the eight, pressuring the four even.

They still rely on one player, Addin Fonua-Blake, who of course got injured and is still coming back from it.

Next year though (I did warn you things have not changed) with the return of Johnson, a controlling game closing playmaker, they will go a long way when he is fit (again the reliance on one player thing).

Two things you are missing are: Reece Walsh, probably going to be a super star.

Addin Fonua-Blake and Matt Lodge absolutely flogged the Sharks pack yesterday....it looks as though we need those two to play seventy minutes each.

danyooll

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 17, 2014
Wondering how much impact the split pre-season camps had an impact on this season. So much chopping and changing definitely didn’t help.

Good teams usually have luck on their side with injury, but how are the Roosters still in the top 6 with their horror list? If someone could tell me which other season we have used more than 30 players.

2022 simply has to be top 8 minimum for Brown. We need a coach that stays for a while, ala Brad Arthur.

2017 Kearney ended with 8 losses to finish the season, with many injuries and big losses as well. 2018 he assembled his own squad with a raft of signings, finishing 2 points behind top spot.

I hope these next two games against big opposition show us what direction we’re headed in.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
I like what brown has to say and how he says it, seems like he knows what's wrong and isn't afraid to tell it like it is like in this weekends presser but then it doesnt translate to a cohesive team on the paddock and so there is something missing in his ability to translate what's in his head to the players or he only gets the big picture or he is a shit motivator or something else?

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Nothing has changed in the time you have been away, except that the halves, really have been awful.

The Warriors were competing well, until Kearney ball wore off. Now it is back to inexplicable errors when the game is on the line, this has cost the Warriors potentially six narrow losses of six points or less.

Do the maths on that, bring back the high completions, and they are deep in the eight, pressuring the four even.

They still rely on one player, Addin Fonua-Blake, who of course got injured and is still coming back from it.

Next year though (I did warn you things have not changed) with the return of Johnson, a controlling game closing playmaker, they will go a long way when he is fit (again the reliance on one player thing).

Two things you are missing are: Reece Walsh, probably going to be a super star.

Addin Fonua-Blake and Matt Lodge absolutely flogged the Sharks pack yesterday....it looks as though we need those two to play seventy minutes each.
So really all we need to do is replace everyone except Lodge, Addin Fonua-Blake, Johnson and Walsh and jag a supercoach and we're looking pretty good for the 8 next year?

3rdstriker

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 11, 2014
Brown maybe able to pull some players together but I don't think he can get us a premiership.
Something is amiss we lack cohesion confidence and trust, the rest of the season will tell us where he's at.

Reactions: Woofa

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Sacking the coach isn’t the solution, how can we not see this? We’ve gone through more coaches than most clubs, and had a period of 10 years of no success. New coaches, new ceo, new strength coach, every 2-3years. Imagine getting a new manager or new boss, and just after you start understanding their methods they’re sacked and moved on, and then the process starts again. We need consistency at the moment more than anything, and although brown isn’t the best out there, the warriors cannot recruit the best out there so he’s the best we can get! He’s also voted BY PLAYERS as a top 5 coach in the nrl. I understand the frustrations but sacking the coach & starting all over again isn’t the bloody solution.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Brown maybe able to pull some players together but I don't think he can get us a premiership.
Agree with you here. Semi finals maybe.

Something is amiss we lack cohesion confidence and trust, the rest of the season will tell us where he's at.
Again, I agree with you on these issues but they are all interlinked and largely come on the back of a lack of continuity with our selections through player unavailability new players to the Club and new players to the Nrl.

I think it’s obvious the more our players play together the better the understanding for each other’s game and the better the combinations will become, the more cohesive we will look.
Trust = confidence/confidence = cohesion, the top sides are where they are because they have good systems with largely settled line-ups and seasons worth of games behind them, they’ve achieved a level of cohesion we can‘t match at this time.

What I think of Brown as a coach doesn’t really even come into it yet, I can’t expect him to wave a magic wand here it’s just not reality.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Sacking the coach isn’t the solution, how can we not see this? We’ve gone through more coaches than most clubs, and had a period of 10 years of no success. New coaches, new ceo, new strength coach, every 2-3years. Imagine getting a new manager or new boss, and just after you start understanding their methods they’re sacked and moved on, and then the process starts again. We need consistency at the moment more than anything, and although brown isn’t the best out there, the warriors cannot recruit the best out there so he’s the best we can get! He’s also voted BY PLAYERS as a top 5 coach in the nrl. I understand the frustrations but sacking the coach & starting all over again isn’t the bloody solution.
Thing is... Weve only really had one decent head coach and that was Ivan Cleary. And look how that went. Any chance we can convince Gus to coach as well

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Agree with you here. Semi finals maybe.

Again, I agree with you on these issues but they are all interlinked and largely come on the back of a lack of continuity with our selections through player unavailability new players to the Club and new players to the Nrl.

I think it’s obvious the more our players play together the better the understanding for each other’s game and the better the combinations will become, the more cohesive we will look.
Trust = confidence/confidence = cohesion, the top sides are where they are because they have good systems with largely settled line-ups and seasons worth of games behind them, they’ve achieved a level of cohesion we can‘t match at this time.

What I think of Brown as a coach doesn’t really even come into it yet, I can’t expect him to wave a magic wand here it’s just not reality.
But wands are magical, if he can't wave magic then how will the warriors start winning!?

I believe the warriors are cursed!

Ye don't like me lobster?

HARKKKKKKKKKKKKK!
KKKKKK!

Last edited:

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I frankly don't think Brown has to. He just has to get us to be a regular Top 8-10 side (I allow the 9-10 for seasons when we're whacked with the injury bat really badly) with a decent bloody attitude.

I don't think Bellamy (since he's the uber example, surprised more people don't want Robinson like I do, but anyway) coming to the Warriors at this point in our rebuild/development/call it whatever would see us in the Grand Final, let alone winning one. Finals? Absolutely. But why would we pay Bellamy "Grand Final Winning Coach" money to do that?! Bellamy certainly wouldn't take "Get The Team Into The Finals Coach" money....

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Makes me wonder if Brown is too like Elliot with overthinking things and not communicating in a way the players can’t understand when we really needed Anderson (prior of the GF halftime talk of course) at discovering players strengths and working on those while trying to understand the importance of family, especially to the Island players.

3rdstriker

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 11, 2014
I frankly don't think Brown has to. He just has to get us to be a regular Top 8-10 side (I allow the 9-10 for seasons when we're whacked with the injury bat really badly) with a decent bloody attitude.

I don't think Bellamy (since he's the uber example, surprised more people don't want Robinson like I do, but anyway) coming to the Warriors at this point in our rebuild/development/call it whatever would see us in the Grand Final, let alone winning one. Finals? Absolutely. But why would we pay Bellamy "Grand Final Winning Coach" money to do that?! Bellamy certainly wouldn't take "Get The Team Into The Finals Coach" money....

I guess we don't need a coach that suits the storm aka Bellamy, we need a coach that suits us for at least 4 seasons.
We have to get lucky somehow and it doesn't matter if he's a young or inexperienced coach like cleary was. Brown might translate into consistency but judging him so far I can't see how he's going to do it.
But have to give him the benefit of the doubt for the rest of the year.

Flaco

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 7, 2020

Winning is one measure of coach quality, but even that is the combination of many things. Call it Flaco's Postulation if you want:
Coach Quality = SQRT[0.5(experience as NRL coach) + 0.2(experience as NRL player) + 0.7(general intelligence) + 0.6(culture building ability) + 0.7(emotional intelligence)+ 0.8(work ethic)+ 0.8(accountability) + 0.8(openness to criticism) + 0.8(teaching ability) + 0.4(empathy) + 0.6(creativity) + 0.7(problem-solving ability)]. I am off to test it...

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Winning is one measure of coach quality, but even that is the combination of many things. Call it Flaco's Postulation if you want:
Coach Quality = SQRT[0.5(experience as NRL coach) + 0.2(experience as NRL player) + 0.7(general intelligence) + 0.6(culture building ability) + 0.7(emotional intelligence)+ 0.8(work ethic)+ 0.8(accountability) + 0.8(openness to criticism) + 0.8(teaching ability) + 0.4(empathy) + 0.6(creativity) + 0.7(problem-solving ability)]. I am off to test it...
how is winning not the only measure of a coaches quality. Remember we are talking head coach here, the guy responsible for getting the team into the finals. He choses the players, the tactics and is responsible for all the staff under him. If were a business it would all be about sales or services offered, this is no different.

Currently with way better players on the field than SK had he has worse results. yes the year is not over, but by fuck i am thankful that the doggies are so bad this year. Otherwise i think we would be seeing a wooden spoon in the warriors future.

That would make it what his third?

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings