Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Stats don't lie...and no we wont
Some people are great believers that points differential shows where your really at. Based on that we are 7th and have had a top heavy draw playing the higher teams so far.

... next game the Storm will probably put 40 points on us and we will drop out of the top 10 on pd 🤣

Reactions: Worried2Death

Geoff Public

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
There’s a difference between telling them nothing , and telling a lie.

if a guy has a habit of telling lies, it kinda makes it hard to believe anything that comes out of his mouth. He has no integrity.

This is why I loved Payten so much. He was a straight shooter, and honest.

SK had that same habit of telling BS.
What Payten did to our club on NRL 360 was crap. I don't care if the door hit his peasant arse on the way out

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
What Payten did to our club on NRL 360 was crap. I don't care if the door hit his peasant arse on the way out
You mean going on tv and making it clear he wasn’t extending or taking up the offer to coach the Warriors?
I thought it was alittle weird. I’m sure there was something else happening in the background that we were not aware of which forced his hand to make the announcement and clear his conscience. I have more of a problem with those who can look you straight in the eye and lie. Each to their own.

Geoff Public

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
You mean going on tv and making it clear he wasn’t extending or taking up the offer to coach the Warriors?
I thought it was alittle weird. I’m sure there was something else happening in the background that we were not aware of which forced his hand to make the announcement and clear his conscience. I have more of a problem with those who can look you straight in the eye and lie. Each to their own.
I can understand him not wanting to lie or be deceitful. He didn't have to do the 1st interview that he later denounced. He wasn't staying, the Warriors had no way of making him do anything he didn't want to.
I felt it was a bit of an even up for Mohawk Tommy coming out about Green and Moses.
But no matter what his reason for it, the live interview really stunned me, other Warriors supporters I know and I daresay the club.
We've all been through a lot of stuff with this club, and that was one of the low points.
I think he was a nasty piece of work who knew exactly what he was doing. Each to their own.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
I can understand him not wanting to lie or be deceitful. He didn't have to do the 1st interview that he later denounced. He wasn't staying, the Warriors had no way of making him do anything he didn't want to.
I felt it was a bit of an even up for Mohawk Tommy coming out about Green and Moses.
But no matter what his reason for it, the live interview really stunned me, other Warriors supporters I know and I daresay the club.
We've all been through a lot of stuff with this club, and that was one of the low points.
I think he was a nasty piece of work who knew exactly what he was doing. Each to their own.
My take Geoff is that he likes being on TV and being a sports celebrity and wanted to say something eye popping as a result. He wasn't trying to shaft the warriors. He was trying to enjoy himself with the camera on him. I hope I explained my theory right. Do you get my meaning even if you have a different view?

Reactions: Geoff Public

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Watching Brown being interviewed by Halligan, what stood out is his mention of them wanting to improve the speed of the backline.

This came off the back of Daryl taking about the old model with the big Wingers.

Brown mentioned that Rocco Berry was brought to speed up the backline, he said Berry and Walsh are the speed guys in the backs.

I thought Berry looked reasonably quick, good to have that confirmed.

Looks like the big slow Wings are being phased out at last. Brown did say that means less meters and a different style of game.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
Watching Brown being interviewed by Halligan, what stood out is his mention of them wanting to improve the speed of the backline.

This came off the back of Daryl taking about the old model with the big Wingers.

Brown mentioned that Rocco Berry was brought to speed up the backline, he said Berry and Walsh are the speed guys in the backs.

I thought Berry looked reasonably quick, good to have that confirmed.

Looks like the big slow Wings are being phased out at last. Brown did say that means less meters and a different style of game.
There a link to said interview?

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Just doing some thinking for this weeks pod - who at the Warriors would we say has clearly improved as a player this year vs last year? Obviously not counting the guys back from long term injury. And who has gone backwards?

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Just doing some thinking for this weeks pod - who at the Warriors would we say has clearly improved as a player this year vs last year? Obviously not counting the guys back from long term injury. And who has gone backwards?

Pompey is better. Roger is having a better year than the last one. Kodi hasn't changed. Tohu hasn't changed, JTB is worse, Ken was the same as his shortened season. Egan's the same. Katoa is so much worse it's kind of amazing. Murchie is the same goes from impactful to useless tits for hands in the space of a fortnight. Jazz is the same. Curran is much improved.

Flaco

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 7, 2020
Pompey is better. Roger is having a better year than the last one. Kodi hasn't changed. Tohu hasn't changed, JTB is worse, Ken was the same as his shortened season. Egan's the same. Katoa is so much worse it's kind of amazing. Murchie is the same goes from impactful to useless tits for hands in the space of a fortnight. Jazz is the same. Curran is much improved.
Curran is light years beyond last year.

Username: Required

U20's Player
Jun 8, 2021
Roco Berry has gone from development squad to signed for 4 years. Didn't look amazing in the trial but has looked good in the games since.

Big question though is have Egan, CHT and Niko improved? Big questions on Egan at the beginning of the year playing 80 mins, has he proven himself?

Also, have our recruits from other clubs gotten better or worse here?

Dangerous

1st Grade Fringe
May 22, 2012
Curren,Pompey,Walsh,Bunty,BMM,Berry have all improved or benefited from Brown IMO

Katoa/Murchie have probably gone backwards slightly from there high level which is a shame as they were stand outs last year but they will bounce back & I have a feeling they're not to far off.

CHT/Fus just haven't shown anything at all & have to be the biggest disappointments

The rest of the team seem to be at a similar level as last year

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings