Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Brown is protecting his players. I subscribe to the Wayne Bennett ‘tell them nothing’ approach… if he’s covering up for Fus and Ken having external issues, fair enough. If he didn’t want people to know Evan’s was dropped, again fair enough.

tell ‘em nothing bro.

all in all, browns pressers are WAY more interesting in 5 minutes than Kearneys were in 3 seasons…
Bennett was the first person to come to mind when I wrote that post.

You see Brown down playing Walsh in the media...again that is all Wayne...

Brown did that with Ponga too....went on about his weaknesses.

I am ok with that up to a point. It would be a mistake to use the 'downplay' indiscriminately, not all human personalities benefit from that keep me grounded mentality...there is no one size fits all with the fragility of the human psyche.

Some extroverts are internally very insecure, and therefore are not a group that needs external grounding....they already beat themselves up and constantly say I am not good enough to themselves privately.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Don’t think it’s this as much as Brown knows he’s a firebrand and a walking sin-bin at the moment.
Could be....which again makes the older player line a bit of a leg puller.

It would make sense if you are right, that Evans misses the Eels game in particular to avoid his dishing it out to his former mates as ex players are want to to do....

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Could be....which again makes the older player line a bit of a leg puller.

It would make sense if you are right, that Evans misses the Eels game in particular to avoid his dishing it out to his former mates as ex players are want to to do....
Yup, red rag to a bull.

Reactions: Sup42

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018
What do you guys think of this plan where the Warriors players have been told to tackle lower?

They have been training to hit lower in tackles because of the send offs.

To me it explains a lot of what we are seeing.

No one is hitting with their shoulder with impact, sides are gaining post contact meters as the Warriors cuddle the ball carrier.

Are we getting to cute with innovation?

I love that Brown is an innovative coach, but I worries me that we are trying to reinvent the game when we are coming from a place where we did not have a solid foundation.

Before this idea, we were having a Tutu with two men in the tackle remember?

I have come to the conclusion that like the two man tackle, the Warriors at least reviewed their approach and dropped it.

Therefore in Brown I trust to run with this low tackle model and dump it if it doesn't settle down into a workable real world way of playing.

As we know, Jazz was high shotting anyway....as Ian Malcolm said....nature finds a way....Jazz doh!
Gosh, I hope that wasn’t intentional? we managed to still get penalised and a player sent off in the process! lol But you’re right Brown appears very much in touch so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Proud of the boys for hanging in there during that dicey 20 minute period and still coming out on top (even though I was yelling at the tv lol) Reminded me of the Cowboys down to 11 men the other night but Newcastle being too shit to put them away. lol

Kind of ironic they’re our next opponent. However, I’d say Holmes will be ready to pounce on Walsh’s looping try assists. I still don’t think they can stop him though..

AND

We get another Friday nighter!

Last edited:

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
It is unusual for someone to see the whole picture with an ex Warriors coach let alone Kearney....people get so polarized they refuse to see what he was good at.

What has always concerned me about the Warriors is that they can only retain one new trick at a time.

Without fail, if you improve one area, another declines.

Good attack sees poor defence.

Better defence sees poor attack.

What Kearney did to ingrain a specific skill set, so deeply that they rank in the NRL, is rare.

I worry now, that these last few games the Kearney retention ball has slipped.

It was there for eight rounds, and now it is slipping.

You can also see this team swinging from ok defence and poor attack.....to the opposite, just as has been in the DNA since Nineteen hundred and Ninety five.

Why? what is it that makes us so inconsistent with delivering all round performances?

The players.

Many come from a system where they got away with the slightly or overtly off skills...like passing....that lead to poor ball retention....or catching.....or tackling....

They are just not built as good as across the ditch...and therefore when they concentrate and improve in one area, they regress in another....well that is what it looks like....but really...what is happening....is that those problems...those lack of fine skills.....are chronic and they keep reappearing game after game...year after year.

SK at least tried to stamp out the chronic poor share of posssesion at the Warriors and actually succeeded.
Better defense see poorer attack, accept if your the Panthers or Storm

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I think it is an appropriate time to look at Brownie's contribution so far. This may come as a surprise to some posters, but he doesn't send the players out there to drop the ball, miss tackles, be out of position and miss field goals. How good a season could this be if only say 5 mistakes had been avoided. Not much to ask over 12 games.

You would think that if teams beat the Warriors because of their mistakes then eliminate the mistakes, hunky dory. The Warriors are not mentally strong enough to do that. They have been like that since 1995. You are not going to win an NRL competition by shooting yourself in the foot constantly.

People say Brown is rebuilding, I disagree with that. I see him as building upon the foundations put in place by SK, and to a lesser extent Payten. More an evolution. I equate the contributions with a race car, you need good mechanics to build the car for performance, but you need a good driver to get the performance out of it. I suspect SK and Brown would make a great coaching team

The Head Coach is the team leader of players, technical coaches, recruitment and front office, he lives and dies by the performance of all of those. If one aspect isn't going well then Brownie wears it, and fair enough, he is the leader. It is never one thing in isolation. For instance you can argue about how the Defence team is performing, but love what Recruiting is doing. We have to realise that they are part of the same team.

This team is evolving in shape and personnel. It cannot be transformed in one season, but the performance mods are being added to the car. Can Brownie drive to victory in the future? The only expectation is that we make the 8.

As the team

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I think it is an appropriate time to look at Brownie's contribution so far. This may come as a surprise to some posters, but he doesn't send the players out there to drop the ball, miss tackles, be out of position and miss field goals. How good a season could this be if only say 5 mistakes had been avoided. Not much to ask over 12 games.

You would think that if teams beat the Warriors because of their mistakes then eliminate the mistakes, hunky dory. The Warriors are not mentally strong enough to do that. They have been like that since 1995. You are not going to win an NRL competition by shooting yourself in the foot constantly.

People say Brown is rebuilding, I disagree with that. I see him as building upon the foundations put in place by SK, and to a lesser extent Payten. More an evolution. I equate the contributions with a race car, you need good mechanics to build the car for performance, but you need a good driver to get the performance out of it. I suspect SK and Brown would make a great coaching team

The Head Coach is the team leader of players, technical coaches, recruitment and front office, he lives and dies by the performance of all of those. If one aspect isn't going well then Brownie wears it, and fair enough, he is the leader. It is never one thing in isolation. For instance you can argue about how the Defence team is performing, but love what Recruiting is doing. We have to realise that they are part of the same team.

This team is evolving in shape and personnel. It cannot be transformed in one season, but the performance mods are being added to the car. Can Brownie drive to victory in the future? The only expectation is that we make the 8.

As the team
I will call it now, they won't make the 8! I know I know!

But they have already had three games where at the end of the season you look back on and go if only, Knights, Manly Game 1, Cowboys this weekend. I still think they have a favorable draw but they won't make it (Happy to eat my words).

I for one won't be blaming brown at all, I think with the circumstances this year of having all the Injured players and two wingers who are not in the heads space to be playing nrl. Hes been pushing shit uphill all season and he's done reasonably well, I'm sorry but to maumalo who wasn't selected last week and fusitua who I'm sure is going through some personal shit, are a total liability to the team last season and now this season. I don't mind that they can't take the field for form and whatever other reasons but I wish the club would make a call on them.

Thanks for a great 2018 fus and 2019 Ken but your days with the warriors are numbered. Prove us otherwise!

Last edited:

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
While I am on my soap box.....

Under Brown the Warriors have an annoying habit of telling porkies about players being dropped.

It is not a biggie in the scheme of things, because I am a subscriber to Sun Tzu's the Art of War.

"All warfare is based on deception".

However, we saw it with Fus and his hamstrings.

Evans needed rest because he is an older player....come on...that's a new one on everyone....translation....*We bought a banged up veteran and have since realized he has chronic issues with his body and therefore has to to managed".

I like Evans, he is playing well. But the older player thing is something else, come on...pull my other dick.

The commentary box last night said that the club denies Ken was injured and have said he was dropped for defensive issues (Live on air SKY sports).

Today I see posted that he has a calf strain?

Mate this is getting ridiculous....there needs to be a Toovey investigation into this...(I jest....I am not too worried about the lies more lies and dam lies....all part of the gamesmanship).
I think that was a good post but struggled to take much in after finding out you have 2 dicks. Please don't ever tell me that again, I am now going off to try and forget it.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: diehard and Sup42

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Brown is protecting his players. I subscribe to the Wayne Bennett ‘tell them nothing’ approach… if he’s covering up for Fus and Ken having external issues, fair enough. If he didn’t want people to know Evan’s was dropped, again fair enough.

tell ‘em nothing bro.

all in all, browns pressers are WAY more interesting in 5 minutes than Kearneys were in 3 seasons…

There’s a difference between telling them nothing , and telling a lie.

if a guy has a habit of telling lies, it kinda makes it hard to believe anything that comes out of his mouth. He has no integrity.

This is why I loved Payten so much. He was a straight shooter, and honest.

SK had that same habit of telling BS.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
There’s a difference between telling them nothing , and telling a lie.

if a guy has a habit of telling lies, it kinda makes it hard to believe anything that comes out of his mouth. He has no integrity.

This is why I loved Payten so much. He was a straight shooter, and honest.

SK had that same habit of telling BS.
Agree so much! It was so refreshing to have a coach tell it like it was, I feel the players respond better because he's calling calling out!

Jason taumalolo your last performance was average and if you want to be a leader here you better play better then that, then everybody's up in arms saying you can't talk like that! But he said he's protecting his job as well and look at how the team is responding.

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
I can bet you a million dollars Brown wont be our last coach, it's only a matter of time before he gets the boot and his success or lack off will be judged on next year, although if we don't make the 8 this year, it is us failing again and we are not mentally strong enough yet again. I have said many times we are to soft on the players, We need men not boys!

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I can bet you a million dollars Brown wont be our last coach, it's only a matter of time before he gets the boot and his success or lack off will be judged on next year, although if we don't make the 8 this year, it is us failing again and we are not mentally strong enough yet again. I have said many times we are to soft on the players, We need men not boys!
What's a man in rugby league terms? When these guys retire they are in thier early 30's! they just need smart football players. If your 18 or 30 you just need to know how to play the game well under fatigue. I think Peter O'Sullivan knows this and so does Brown and gus, it just needs more time.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
For coaching advice, despite being a different code, Sir Alex Ferguson is a master class in coaching. When asked if the reason he bought a certain player was because he could produce defence splitting long passes, he said it was actually because most passes he did was to keep possession.

He was also asked why he kept hard working average players generally longer than the talented players. He responded that the work ethic and never say die, play to the final whistle is a talent just as much as ball skills, that translates to the training pitch and games.

Clever bastard that Fergie.https://youtu.be/PPvRsLWlDXw

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Agree so much! It was so refreshing to have a coach tell it like it was, I feel the players respond better because he's calling calling out!

Jason taumalolo your last performance was average and if you want to be a leader here you better play better then that, then everybody's up in arms saying you can't talk like that! But he said he's protecting his job as well and look at how the team is responding.

while I am ranting , it shows a total disrespect to the reporter asking the question and to the public listening.

It’s no different to the Fus debacle. it was pretty much public knowledge about Fus. But to have CG make a formal statement that he was “injured” tells me the club are full of liars....

terrible message we are sending people, especially to our kids.

I still remember a few years ago, RTS was injured and a reporter asked SK if he was injured based off reports earlier in the week ? SK denied accusing reporters of making up stories. Friday captains run, RTS is not there and didn’t play that weekend due to injury!!! Either that reporter has telepathic powers or SK is just full of shit....

rant over

Reactions: Akkerz

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
while I am ranting , it shows a total disrespect to the reporter asking the question and to the public listening.

It’s no different to the Fus debacle. it was pretty much public knowledge about Fus. But to have CG make a formal statement that he was “injured” tells me the club are full of liars....

terrible message we are sending people, especially to our kids.

I still remember a few years ago, RTS was injured and a reporter asked SK if he was injured based off reports earlier in the week ? SK denied accusing reporters of making up stories. Friday captains run, RTS is not there and didn’t play that weekend due to injury!!! Either that reporter has telepathic powers or SK is just full of shit....

rant over
I suspect status of form in any given player these days is being treated as commercially sensitive information by the Warriors these days.

A lot harder to con other clubs into taking players off your hands if the issue is thought to be a loss of form over a repairable physical injury. You could argue they are protecting the players next contract option. They only need a good physical at the new club to be seen as worth buying.

Perhaps you could argue that attracting players to a club that has dropped multiple first graders for under performance is also a problem.

I may be just playing Devils advocate and drawing a long bow here.

If i were the club, I would have a clause with the players to not release personal health data.

I would remind the reporters of this fact at every presser and say the player wants their privacy kept regarding the latest reason for not being selected. Health concerns is a very broad concept if you want to be clever, it certainly covers the psychological effects of drop in performance and under achievement.

That way the club can lie all they want without implicitly creating and actual false narrative....actually that is not lying at all....it is being secretive.

No Journo or NRL boss could challenge not releasing health information....there are codes and laws that prevent their interference.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012

As the team
As the guy who drives the bus, yea i know terrible analogy (although the attack centric nature that they are playing at the moment, makes me think of it). He is responsible for every dropped ball etc.

This is not the same team as 25 years ago, or 10 years ago. This is a whole new team with a different coach and if he's reliant on luck to see him win then he's not up to the job.

Mt Well put it best when he said if your scoring 28 points and losing then its not attack that's the problem. He is the Coach. It is his responsibility to tell them ... everything. Kicking not kicking its all on him. His representative is on the field half the game passing instructions. If he sees a mistake then he has the time to pass information saying what he wants to happen instead next time. If its not happening, then hes the one to hook the player.

I watch every season with the hope of watching them win a GF, not just to make the 8, not to see rebuilding. Everyone is talking atm about how wonderful Walsh is. Now imagine the results without him. It wouldnt have been a 1 point difference, it would have been a blow out. So the one guy who is doing the most is the one guy that has had the least to do with the coach because he's been here the shortest amount of time.

I want better

Reactions: Akkerz and jsmooove

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
For coaching advice, despite being a different code, Sir Alex Ferguson is a master class in coaching. When asked if the reason he bought a certain player was because he could produce defence splitting long passes, he said it was actually because most passes he did was to keep possession.

He was also asked why he kept hard working average players generally longer than the talented players. He responded that the work ethic and never say die, play to the final whistle is a talent just as much as ball skills, that translates to the training pitch and games.

Clever bastard that Fergie.https://youtu.be/PPvRsLWlDXw
Those who really love the sport will gladly show up to training. They will be the first to arrive and last to leave. True students of the game.

Those who show up late and find every excuse not to train or give it 100%, are the slackers we don’t need.

It’s the same problem every organisation has to deal with.... nothing new here.. the question is how the organisation identifies the slackers and whether they do anything about it. You leave the slackers in an organisation, they will rot the house down.

Reactions: Akkerz and gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I will call it now, they won't make the 8! I know I know!

But they have already had three games where at the end of the season you look back on and go if only, Knights, Manly Game 1, Cowboys this weekend. I still think they have a favorable draw but they won't make it (Happy to eat my words).

I for one won't be blaming brown at all, I think with the circumstances this year of having all the Injured players and two wingers who are not in the heads space to be playing nrl. Hes been pushing shit uphill all season and he's done reasonably well, I'm sorry but to maumalo who wasn't selected last week and fusitua who I'm sure is going through some personal shit, are a total liability to the team last season and now this season. I don't mind that they can't take the field for form and whatever other reasons but I wish the club would make a call on them.

Thanks for a great 2018 fus and 2019 Ken but your days with the warriors are numbered. Prove us otherwise!
Every team has had injured players and players who arent performing to their pay packet. Its how you deal with those that makes the difference. Circumstances be damned, the warriors are in a better situation than some at the moment. They have to make every opportunity count.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
I think our biggest problem right now is on the park experience with the players.
Brownie playing the first half with Murchi and KaToa in the second row then at half time flips the team To Tohu and BMM in the second row.
Almost like he is trying to give these guys an education whilst still trying to win games..
Like katoa amazingly talented and great skill set. But he is a union player and it shows when he does things that you go 'What!' But if you had been playing league your whole life you wouldn't do... and that's just one example

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Like katoa amazingly talented and great skill set. But he is a union player and it shows when he does things that you go 'What!' But if you had been playing league your whole life you wouldn't do... and that's just one example

Katoa played #8 at Kings. No way he tries ridiculous offloads playing loose forward in rugby. So not sure why he was so reckless over the weekend unless he was told to play more expansive by Coach Brown... might have been trying it during practise ie offloads not realising it’s really more about timing, space and support with offloads... he was honestly just chucking it to no one ....

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings