Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Fair question...but why did he deserve it?

He was never a first grade coach in the first place. I think he is highly regarded in the game for his personal qualities, but it is also recognized he cannot coach.

I admit I supported him originally, but that was all on potential. Potential doesn't count in the end.

I saw improvement under him. Yes he shelved attack but he was trying to sort things out one by one. I think the club needed someone with his patience. It faltered from time to time but it was progress.

I worry under brown we'll get better on attack and worse on defence and then we're not really any better off. Just same same. Repeat cycle. Stay mediocre.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Glad we agree Melbourne has not had a rebuilding year.
I guess i do disagree with you on caring about it being a rebuilding year.
Wasnt Walsh taken on as a replacement for RTS? so again not an organising half. And only playing out of position because of injury.
what is fb?.
Sorry fb is short for fullback.

And yes Walsh was hired to replace RTS. It looks like Walsh is the best seven at the club....but then boy wonder is pretty much the best six too...

Reactions: Tragic and bruce

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
ok thats cool.

But imo the best coaches take local talent and make them great, they dont need to recruit. However like you say thats working harder.

But what if the best coaches don't want to join the local club, for whatever reason? That's one of the central issues here.

Of course the Warriors wouldn't have jumped at Brown if someone provably (ie had form at getting his team to Finals Football/Premiership Grand Finals) better A) Had been available B) Had been asked C) Had said Yes.

You're entitled to wonder if enough asking had gone on, of course. Maybe Bennett/Bellamy/Robinson would have said Yes if only their phones had "Been running hot" with calls from CG...

• Haha
Reactions: Sup42 and gREVUS

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
I saw improvement under him. Yes he shelved attack but he was trying to sort things out one by one. I think the club needed someone with his patience. It faltered from time to time but it was progress.

I worry under brown we'll get better on attack and worse on defence and then we're not really any better off. Just same same. Repeat cycle. Stay mediocre.
But Brown isn't putting the defensive strategy in place, that is Justin Morgan.

From what we've seen this season, Morgan's defensive style is ass and it's a wonder how he has a job. So that is hardly on Brown who I assume organises the attack.

I guess if Brown keeps Morgan on and doesn't address the elephant in the room, then that is on Brown.

Hadyn

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2013
I'd sooner be right here where we are now after 6 months of Brown rather than where we were after 3 1/2 years of Kearney....not even close.
Take today's game for example I expect to win today and will be extremely disappointed if we don't.
Under Kearney we would lose today .....and before the game everybody on this site ( in their bones ) would know it.

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
I'd sooner be right here where we are now after 6 months of Brown rather than where we were after 3 1/2 years of Kearney....not even close.
Take today's game for example I expect to win today and will be extremely disappointed if we don't.
Under Kearney we would lose today .....and before the game everybody on this site ( in their bones ) would know it.

Not sure about that. Tigers are exactly the team Kearney ball would give me confidence in.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

It is unusual for someone to see the whole picture with an ex Warriors coach let alone Kearney....people get so polarized they refuse to see what he was good at.

What has always concerned me about the Warriors is that they can only retain one new trick at a time.

Without fail, if you improve one area, another declines.

Good attack sees poor defence.

Better defence sees poor attack.

What Kearney did to ingrain a specific skill set, so deeply that they rank in the NRL, is rare.

I worry now, that these last few games the Kearney retention ball has slipped.

It was there for eight rounds, and now it is slipping.

You can also see this team swinging from ok defence and poor attack.....to the opposite, just as has been in the DNA since Nineteen hundred and Ninety five.

Why? what is it that makes us so inconsistent with delivering all round performances?

The players.

Many come from a system where they got away with the slightly or overtly off skills...like passing....that lead to poor ball retention....or catching.....or tackling....

They are just not built as good as across the ditch...and therefore when they concentrate and improve in one area, they regress in another....well that is what it looks like....but really...what is happening....is that those problems...those lack of fine skills.....are chronic and they keep reappearing game after game...year after year.

SK at least tried to stamp out the chronic poor share of posssesion at the Warriors and actually succeeded.

Reactions: Noitall and Aman

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
Many come from a system where they got away with the slightly or overtly off skills...like passing....that lead to poor ball retention....or catching.....or tackling....
^This is very true, though maybe unpopular to say.

I hope there are times ahead when we can be good at attack and defense.

But if not, I will take attack.

For me at least, crazy attack where we can score from anywhere is the essence of what it is to be a Warrior.

When we have that, at least historically, we can beat anyone on our day......even the best teams.......even come from low/mid playoffs to have a chance at the big show,

When we have just defense (again, at least historically), it seems like the best we can do against the top teams is grind out a respectable loss.

Reactions: Aman

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
What do you guys think of this plan where the Warriors players have been told to tackle lower?

They have been training to hit lower in tackles because of the send offs.

To me it explains a lot of what we are seeing.

No one is hitting with their shoulder with impact, sides are gaining post contact meters as the Warriors cuddle the ball carrier.

Are we getting to cute with innovation?

I love that Brown is an innovative coach, but I worries me that we are trying to reinvent the game when we are coming from a place where we did not have a solid foundation.

Before this idea, we were having a Tutu with two men in the tackle remember?

I have come to the conclusion that like the two man tackle, the Warriors at least reviewed their approach and dropped it.

Therefore in Brown I trust to run with this low tackle model and dump it if it doesn't settle down into a workable real world way of playing.

As we know, Jazz was high shotting anyway....as Ian Malcolm said....nature finds a way....Jazz doh!

Reactions: HoRneT041

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
While I am on my soap box.....

Under Brown the Warriors have an annoying habit of telling porkies about players being dropped.

It is not a biggie in the scheme of things, because I am a subscriber to Sun Tzu's the Art of War.

"All warfare is based on deception".

However, we saw it with Fus and his hamstrings.

Evans needed rest because he is an older player....come on...that's a new one on everyone....translation....*We bought a banged up veteran and have since realized he has chronic issues with his body and therefore has to to managed".

I like Evans, he is playing well. But the older player thing is something else, come on...pull my other dick.

The commentary box last night said that the club denies Ken was injured and have said he was dropped for defensive issues (Live on air SKY sports).

Today I see posted that he has a calf strain?

Mate this is getting ridiculous....there needs to be a Toovey investigation into this...(I jest....I am not too worried about the lies more lies and dam lies....all part of the gamesmanship).

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Brown isn’t trying to reinvent the wheel. The NRL has done that and we are just adapting.
I agree. Poor turn of phrase, you will notice I did not say wheel...as in try to make something that already exists.

We are innovating I think I said, and I like innovation, however, aiming lower is not the only solution to the changes.

Learning to play well with 12 men seems to be just as, if not more effective for elite teams.

Reactions: wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I agree. Poor turn of phrase, you will notice I did not say wheel...as in try to make something that already exists.

We are innovating I think I said, and I like innovation, however, aiming lower is not the only solution to the changes.

Learning to play well with 12 men seems to be just as, if not more effective for elite teams.
Different tactics possible and interesting which will win out aye.

I’m sure some teams will be able to survive with 12 men while pushing limits and still win but when you get 4 players suspended after every game, you pay for it over the next weeks and eventually run out of players.

8 players on report after the Sharks/ Dragons game ☹️. Will the NRL lighten up like in 2018?

Teeps4Shore

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 17, 2021
While I am on my soap box.....

Under Brown the Warriors have an annoying habit of telling porkies about players being dropped.

It is not a biggie in the scheme of things, because I am a subscriber to Sun Tzu's the Art of War.

"All warfare is based on deception".

However, we saw it with Fus and his hamstrings.

Evans needed rest because he is an older player....come on...that's a new one on everyone....translation....*We bought a banged up veteran and have since realized he has chronic issues with his body and therefore has to to managed".

I like Evans, he is playing well. But the older player thing is something else, come on...pull my other dick.

The commentary box last night said that the club denies Ken was injured and have said he was dropped for defensive issues (Live on air SKY sports).

Today I see posted that he has a calf strain?

Mate this is getting ridiculous....there needs to be a Toovey investigation into this...
Brown is protecting his players. I subscribe to the Wayne Bennett ‘tell them nothing’ approach… if he’s covering up for Fus and Ken having external issues, fair enough. If he didn’t want people to know Evan’s was dropped, again fair enough.

tell ‘em nothing bro.

all in all, browns pressers are WAY more interesting in 5 minutes than Kearneys were in 3 seasons…

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Don’t think it’s this as much as Brown knows he’s a firebrand and a walking sin-bin at the moment.

Reactions: Rizzah and Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Different tactics possible and interesting which will win out aye.

I’m sure some teams will be able to survive with 12 men while pushing limits and still win but when you get 4 players suspended after every game, you pay for it over the next weeks and eventually run out of players.

8 players on report after the Sharks/ Dragons game ☹️. Will the NRL lighten up like in 2018?
The judiciary is a good point and may very well gut our team this week.

i also think with a new approach...like tackling lower...that if you are going to do it...give it proper time to evaluate.

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings