Nathan Brown 1.JPG

Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Well its well past "judge me by round 6" so i feel safe in saying, lets look at where things are right now.

10th on the ladder with 4 wins and 6 losses and a -14 point differential, Oh shit no sorry that was 2019 under SK.
currently they are 10th on the ladder with 4 wins and 6 losses with a -43 differential.

This dude has some pretty good looking meat on the table, but is he using it well?

instead of putting RTS on a wing, when you lose your hooker, why not have Kodi (played there before) take the role and bring Walsh into the middle to replace him. Then everyone else stays as is. but no lets chuck our star (getting very debateable) fullback onto the wing. I may have misread this as it was agonising to watch but come on thats not a hard call to make.

2 weeks in a row he has come out and agreed that the blame rests with him for bad game plans. And one of those was a win.

Please NB do better.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Well its well past "judge me by round 6" so i feel safe in saying, lets look at where things are right now.

10th on the ladder with 4 wins and 6 losses and a -14 point differential, Oh shit no sorry that was 2019 under SK.
currently they are 10th on the ladder with 4 wins and 6 losses with a -43 differential.

This dude has some pretty good looking meat on the table, but is he using it well?

instead of putting RTS on a wing, when you lose your hooker, why not have Kodi (played there before) take the role and bring Walsh into the middle to replace him.
Seems very logical. Has tended to overcomplicate things. On Sunday with Aitken's return he should have slotted into Left Centre & Pompey to Right Wing. Positions they're both experienced in. Instead Berry finds himself playing in his first game on the Wing ever & marking Sivo 🤦‍♂️

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017

instead of putting RTS on a wing, when you lose your hooker, why not have Kodi (played there before) take the role and bring Walsh into the middle to replace him. Then everyone else stays as is. but no lets chuck our star (getting very debateable) fullback onto the wing. I may have misread this as it was agonising to watch but come on thats not a hard call to make.

2 weeks in a row he has come out and agreed that the blame rests with him for bad game plans. And one of those was a win.

Please NB do better.
We were getting rolled through the middle when Egan went down so I think the move of Jazz to hooker and Ah Mau on was designed to tighten things up. We then lost Berry to HIA so Walsh came on and the only real choice was to move Roger to wing. I actually don’t mind Roger on the wing when he plays that roving Noafaluma or Rapana type role.
The bench rotation then suffered further when Afoa came off early in his first stint due to shoulder issues, and then Curran went down.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Stats don't lie, but they do look a different side.

Again who were they to select? SK was becoming a clear failure. They went for a guy who could actually coach and had a record.

SK was just a very successful assistant, and still is. So apparently is Kidwell. laugh if you will but under Jim Doyle and Watson Kidwell might have been the next option.

What worries me greatly is his selection. That was one of Bennett's no nos, playing guys out of position.

The only thing I will give him is that if they really rate Walsh as a fullback then put him on the wing first, like they do in union. he sure has the speed.

Reactions: Akkerz and Swanley

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014

Please NB do better.
What were your expectations at the start of the season?

Reactions: Sup42

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
This is a different side, Brown has made improvements, and they are more resilient.

Just still showing the Warriors of old sometimes.

Are we a better football side? Yes, Are we still making silly errors, yes.

We are currently a middle of the table team, which has room for improvement.

We are better than we have been the last few years.

Brown currently gets a 7/10 for me.

Vancent

🔙
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Gee we can piss and moan about a Coach early can’t we - like a dirty habit we can’t seem to shake.

I’m more than comfortable with Nathan at the moment, that fight back on Sunday is evidence of growth IMO.

We have good troops on the way back and warming up, we’ve played some impressive sides and have Tigers and Cowboys in the next two games.

We are positioned mid table with our next steps (growth areas) identified and I expect they’re being addressed as we speak.

No, I won’t jump on the sack the Coach thread this year, think we’ve seen where that gets us.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
This is a different side, Brown has made improvements, and they are more resilient.

Just still showing the Warriors of old sometimes.

Are we a better football side? Yes, Are we still making silly errors, yes.

We are currently a middle of the table team, which has room for improvement.

We are better than we have been the last few years.

Brown currently gets a 7/10 for me.

Tad generous, obviously no coach wants the amount of injuries he's had, not just the players who are out, half the ones on the field look compromised in some form or fashion. And he hasn't had a chance to play many of the rat teams, been a tough run if you consider manly will probably come 6th. They did beat the titans, raiders, dragons and cowboys, only losing to the Knights (should have won) of these middling teams.

On the other hand they don't look any better conditioned, defence just melts down at times, selections are weird, different to Kearney, but weird, AFB while he was there, BMM and now Walsh are providing the only points of difference that I can see to the last couple of years, that's just good recruitment. Pompey to an extent has gotten better, but all the other holdover players are the same or worse.

Brown is pretty honest that good players make the coach look good, and he can't name all of his good players so gets a 5 and a half out of 10. For Moine. If they can beat tigers and cows, or at least split in close games, things will look a bit better going into origin

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Gee we can piss and moan about a Coach early can’t we - like a dirty habit we can’t seem to shake.

I’m more than comfortable with Nathan at the moment, that fight back on Sunday is evidence of growth IMO.

We have good troops on the way back and warming up, we’ve played some impressive sides and have Tigers and Cowboys in the next two games.

We are positioned mid table with our next steps (growth areas) identified and I expect they’re being addressed as we speak.

No, I won’t jump on the sack the Coach thread this year, think we’ve seen where that gets us.
not saying sack him, yet. IMO should never have hired him. But now hes got the gig he needs to do better.

People keep saying its a better side than when SK was in charge, the numbers show very little difference so far. I hope this changes. The coach should add to the team, not substract from it.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
People keep saying its a better side than when SK was in charge, the numbers show very little difference so far. I hope this changes. The coach should add to the team, not substract from it.
Rather have a coach with identical results but who:

- communicates with the fans around selections and tactics
- adapts his tactics over a season (develops a team)
- plays a positive style of football
- his team averages over 20 points a game
- provides a pathway for juniors rather than blocking them with underperforming players

This sort of coach over the long term will draw in the players that will get the results. We have seen this with our recruitment post Kearney.

Ironically Kearney’s ‘process’ was unsustainable and killed the team as a player destination, killing the long term results. Browns ‘process’ helps recruit the players that win games, even if his coaching is average. It is more long term.

zaggo

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2016
One thing about Brown is that the games are actually watchable. There was a point during the SK era where we became so boring, with no hope of mounting any points nor a comeback.

Yeah, to be honest I'd rather us lose like we did against the Eels where despite getting spanked in the first 30 we then at least threw the ball around and looked like scoring some tries. Remember under SK where we'd be down 16-4 in the 75th minute and still going one off the ruck, followed by a shallow bomb?

It's still mostly pain watching us, but at least there's brief moments of pleasure.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Yeah, to be honest I'd rather us lose like we did against the Eels where despite getting spanked in the first 30 we then at least threw the ball around and looked like scoring some tries. Remember under SK where we'd be down 16-4 in the 75th minute and still going one off the ruck, followed by a shallow bomb?

It's still mostly pain watching us, but at least there's brief moments of pleasure.

Yeah, the "Blake Green Special" did become like putting pins in your eyes, but again Brown isn't saddled with over a million combined on Greeny and Blairy.

If he mugs off Kodi into number 14 I'll defend him. Twisting himself into knots to avoid doing that is getting tiring

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings