Nathan Brown 1.JPG
Brown aboard as new coach
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Sat 8 Aug 2020, 11:59 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George has today confirmed the vastly-experienced Nathan Brown as the club’s new head coach.

The 47-year-old former St George Illawarra and Newcastle coach has been secured on a three-year deal to the end of the 2023 NRL season.

“We couldn’t be more delighted to have Nathan as our new head coach,” said George.

“He has had an extensive involvement in the game as both a first-grade player and then as a coach in the NRL and the Super League.

“He already has a relationship with our players, football staff and our club after being with us as a coaching consultant working with our hookers this season.

“Nathan’s a terrific person who brings tremendous qualities to the role in every sense.”

Brown has a career total of almost 450 matches coaching NRL clubs St George Illawarra and Newcastle as well as Huddersfield and St Helens in the English Super League. As a hooker, he made 172 first-grade appearances for St George and St George Illawarra before becoming an NRL coach at the age of 29.

“I’m a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Vodafone Warriors is a fantastic opportunity,” he said.

“I spent time in Auckland during the preseason and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

“The Vodafone Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We’ve seen that this year with the sacrifices they’ve made to keep the NRL going. I can’t wait to get stuck in.”

During his playing career, Brown played in three grand finals in 1993, 1996 and 1999.

After coaching St George Illawarra for six seasons, he spent six seasons in the Super League where he took the Huddersfield Giants to the Challenge

Cup final and guided St Helens to grand final success over Wigan in 2014.

NATHAN BROWN
Born: July 31, 1973
Birthplace: Maclean, New South Wales
Coaching Career:
Club:
St George Illawarra Dragons coach 2003-2008

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Saw an interesting piece on YouTube about who could be the next Tottenham Hotspurs Coach after Maurinho, and how it compares with Nathan Brown.

One name brought up was Sean Dyche from Burnley, who of course is Chris Wood's Manager. One guy rated Dyche as a Coach who has kept Burnley in the Premier League, has little money to play with (Wood was Burnley's biggest signing cost). He has developed a game plan that maximises the ability of the players at his disposal and has in reality over achieved.

However, playing devils advocate he said would that be acceptable for Spurs, that managing Harry Kane would be different from Chris Wood and the fans would expect a better style of play, despite not having won 5/8ths of fuck all since ever.

To summarise, this thinking is what fucked the Warriors from day one. The 'we are in the entertainment business' bullshit. No you are in the results business. If you are a Coach that has shown the ability to spot players and mould them into a team that is on a rising trajectory results wise, then you are someone worth considering.

Brownie identified Ponga and brought him into the Knights team, he now has Walsh to do the same with. We talk about supercoaches, but in my opinion it is super clubs that make them, and very good man management ability.

I think Brown has improved the team, he has no control over injuries, so I will judge him more after the season, or probably more fairly after next season. Also do not forget that he has the Gouldfather within the club for advice and support.

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
I don't necessarily think Brown is s super coach, but we have to give him credit for helping develop players.

Whether Pos or Brown identified Walsh, doesn't matter, they are part of the process and the fact Brown isn't scared to blood players is a good attribute. Pompey has come along in leaps and bounds, and when the troops return maybe unlucky not to be retained. There maybe a certain winger lucky to be retained. Curran has improved under Browns watch as well.

My gut feeling Pos will continue to identify talent and replace our weaknesses and Brown will develop them.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
My thoughts on Brown.... I don't think he's the coach who will consistently get us into the Finals, let alone, a Grand Final..... but I do think he's very capable of assembling a squad that another coach could and putting systems in place where the players are allowed more freedom than when SK was coach.

Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong and for him to be exactly what we need to re-enter the glory days of Warriors coaches like Cleary and Anderson.

Reactions: Big_Fattz

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Interesting read thanks.

Taking him at his word (i believe him) this is an all too familiar problem within health. Most of us have been told to harden up when there is something wrong.

I file this under people are stupid. Pig dumb about medical issues, and especially this Ayoub clown.

Taking the side of the medico is always going to happen, Brown had poor advice. Not excusing him though, the right approach is to believe the patient.

If I were a footballer I would definitely not trust the staff, I would seek independent advice, which is where this bloke went wrong.

Sports teams medical staff often have an agenda, I would not trust any of them as far as I could spit them.

Do not trust the company Doctor....

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Nathan Ross was always a different character as well. He definitely angered the club when he came out and publicly complained about the amount of money he was on, which may have lead to them taking a harder stance with him.
Maybe this guy does have an axe to grind but player health comes first. I don't doubt coaches can be bullies & the support staff are under instructions to "just get him out there" Seen it too often & I'm wondering about those injuries that Kenny M is said to be carrying. To quote Bruce "just saying like".

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Nathan Ross was always a different character as well. He definitely angered the club when he came out and publicly complained about the amount of money he was on, which may have lead to them taking a harder stance with him.
Sounds like they gave him a code Red, you know, private Downy and Corporal Dawson, 'You can't handle the TRUTH"

Reactions: bruce and Swanny

Last Game

02 May

24 - 20
6.5 Total Avg Rating
7.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 23 ratings